Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mother Earth Goddess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mother Earth Goddess
    Posted: 12-Dec-2011 at 17:49
I have just read of another mother earth goddess being found, this one 8 inches high and about 6000 years old in France:

French archaeologists have discovered an extremely rare example of a neolithic "earth mother" figurine on the banks of the river Somme.

The 6,000-year-old statuette is 8in high, with imposing buttocks and hips but stubby arms and a cone-like head. Similar figures have been found before in Europe but rarely so far north and seldom in such a complete and well-preserved condition.

The "lady of Villers-Carbonnel", as she has been named, can make two claims to be an "earth mother". She was fired from local earth or clay and closely resembles figurines with similar, stylised female bodies found around the Mediterranean....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-earth-mother-of-all-neolithic-discoveries-6275062.html

What other finds have there been over the years concerning mother earth goddesses, and what  do you the people reading this thread believe or feel these finds signify or represent, and did they develop further into other things later in history?

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2011 at 19:32
Reminds me of the Neolithic "Venus" statues widespread in Europe. It would seem the first deity to be worshipped was one resembling a pregnant woman 
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2011 at 19:54
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

What other finds have there been over the years concerning mother earth goddesses, and what  do you the people reading this thread believe or feel these finds signify or represent, and did they develop further into other things later in history?

In Romania (and the rest of Balkans) they're not rare, there are thousands such statuettes from Neolithic, from Cultures like Vinča, Cucuteni, Gumelniţa etc. Maybe the most famous is this one (5th millenium BCE) found around Bucharest:

See Gumelniţa–Karanovo for more info and pictures.

But these are young compared with statuettes found in Western Europe:

Venus von Willendorf, 24,000–22,000 BCE

What I think? Some superstition linked to fertility cult. Wiki has everything we need to know:
Mother goddess

Edited by Menumorut - 13-Dec-2011 at 19:55

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 02:59
In my opinion, if there is a god and if that has a gender, it must be female.  Big smile

This is the most famous one in Turkey, Cybele of Catalhoyük(8000BC, first one)

You can see the similarity, Catalhoyük, Phryg and Roman Cybeles
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Menumorut

Venus von Willendorf, 24,000–22,000 BCE

I have shocked, 22.000 years old and was found in Europe, not Middle east. Thanks Menumorut, I have learnt something today

Edited by Ollios - 22-Dec-2011 at 03:05
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 06:02
What is in her hand?Blade or knife,Olios?One hand was cut in all three statues!Word says it was blade.
ancient Egyptian word for Blade=mother's answer!WinkObelisk was a blade also!It had reminded all about the end of those that would have raised against the Pharaoh.He controlled mother's rage,he was ruler of obelisk (Blade) in Upper Egypt.(Lower as we know it)

Edited by medenaywe - 23-Dec-2011 at 05:14
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 11:56
Originally posted by medenaywe

ancient Egyptian word for Blade=mother's answer!Wink

1-It is interesting but, I couldn't see any bladeConfused

One hand was cut in all three statues!Word says it was blade.

2-About hand, first figure is very old, and both hands are not clear. In others, they are holding a kind of disk

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 16:22
Tell me is this "Blade" in her left hand here on plate:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/AiKhanoumPlateSharp.jpg
I need precise high resolution photo of his head:(there have to be Water and Fire one by another!)(Gods!)
http://e-turkey.net/turkeyguide/d/6970-2/izmir_selcuk_9.jpg
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2011 at 22:58

I need precise high resolution photo of his head:(there have to be Water and Fire one by another!)

As you wish,

Kybele
http://wpyadmin.ne.cision.com/wpyfs/00/00/00/00/00/17/12/47/p.%20119_010_%2804.42.7%29.jpg
Artemis-1
http://i56.tinypic.com/30vn1fq.jpg
Artemis-2
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/6394940.jpg
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2011 at 00:41
Originally posted by Ollios

I have shocked, 22.000 years old and was found in Europe, not Middle east. Thanks Menumorut, I have learnt something today

There are even older Venus statuettes:

Venus of Brassempouy (c.23,000 BCE)

Venus of Dolni Vestonice 29,000–25,000 BCE

Venus of Hohle Fels 35,000 - 40,000 years ago

Venus of Tan-Tan (Morocco) 400,000 years old

Venus of Berekhat Ram (Israel) 251,000 to 800,000 BCE

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2012 at 20:54
Originally posted by Coachoutletstores

Originally posted by Nick1986

Reminds me of the Neolithic "Venus" statues widespread in Europe. It would seem the first deity to be worshipped was one resembling a pregnant woman 

Some things to look for in an effectively designed removable purse organizer is that it contains multiple pockets so that once you place it inside your handbag it will keep all your others items securely in their rightful places.

Many handbag organizer inserts come in various fashionable colors for those that like to add a trendy touch to their purse or bag. Most of these inserts also come in universal sizes ranging from 8x5 inches to 8x6 inches which will definitely fit the majority of medium to large sized handbags or purses on the market today.

Some things to look for in an inside purse organizer is:

- LOUIS VUITTON SHOULDER BAG: A strong zipper in the center pocket to fit a passport, cheques, brochures or photos

Somehow i don't think Stone Age women carried knock-off designer brand handbags. You're banned!

Edited by Nick1986 - 03-Jan-2012 at 20:55
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply