Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No English Reformation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No English Reformation
    Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 19:26
In this alternative history Catherine of Aragon dies before Henry requests his divorce, leaving him free to remarry. As a result England remains Catholic. What would the consequences have been?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 19:45
I don't really know much about the British renaissance period but would it have meant that there wouldn't have been Puritans which would have some major effect on when the pilgrims would settle in America. I could be mistaken.
Timidi mater non flet
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 20:04
my foresight
*add minumum 100 years to all english inventions' date of invent
*scotish culture could be less powerful in that time. with same religion, they could be assimilated easily in english society
*vatican and german catholics could be more powerful then today.
*catholic (and more submissive) American colonies could not or late prefer to be independent. 
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 05:19
The reformation would have been delayed rather not happen. Cromwell and the Bolyns would still have been in power and pushing reformation along, and the prostetants in the country were numerous and powerful.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 08:16
Pope will be Englishman!Wink
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:05
Originally posted by Toltec

The reformation would have been delayed rather not happen. Cromwell and the Bolyns would still have been in power and pushing reformation along, and the prostetants in the country were numerous and powerful.

Would they have succeeded if Henry remained bound to Rome? Without the schism there wouldn't have been a Church of England and many of the later reformers would probably have been burned as heretics. Perhaps it would be Cranmer, rather than Pole, who had to flee into exile?
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 20:22
It happened in Scandinvia, Scotland and German States.
Even if Elizabeth was a catholic, could the protestant James be kept from the throne? In fact would a protestant rebellion aided by a Scots army have overthrown Mary or Elizabeth.

History Planet Website
<br /
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 08:18
Originally posted by medenaywe

I'm not too sure where I heard this, but after, Pope Adrian IV, those choosing popes were put off the idea of having an English pope again. Something about insanity I think, or maybe even things being done in an insane way. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 08:31
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

I'm not too sure where I heard this, but after, Pope Adrian IV, those choosing popes were put off the idea of having an English pope again. Something about insanity I think, or maybe even things being done in an insane way. 

Homosexuality, corruption, debauchery, treachury, perversion, incest, senility, heresy, greed, being married, murder, rape, buggery, being born a women, genocide, paedophilia and there already being another pope, has never stopped someone being chosen as pope, I would have thought an insane pope would come as a mild relief.

Edited by Toltec - 29-Nov-2011 at 08:34

History Planet Website
<br /
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 09:15
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 09:25
Maradona captain of football team and Pele it's couch!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2011 at 19:04

Cardinal Pole was a possibility. With the backing of Henry and Cardinal Fisher, it's possible he would one day become pope
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2011 at 19:33
Originally posted by Toltec

It happened in Scandinvia, Scotland and German States.
Even if Elizabeth was a catholic, could the protestant James be kept from the throne? In fact would a protestant rebellion aided by a Scots army have overthrown Mary or Elizabeth.

Even after the Marian Persecutions a lot of ordinary Englishmen were largely indifferent to religion before the Spanish Armada. Assuming this never happened, there would be deep divisions between the Catholic English and Protestant Scots which would worsen after James' death. Rather than a Civil War, the English might have enthusiastically supported Charles' invasion of Scotland to force Catholicism upon the Calvinists

Edited by Nick1986 - 30-Nov-2011 at 19:33
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2011 at 19:48
Less jewish people in Britain as in Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra_Decree

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 19:17
During Henry's reign Jews were almost nonxistent. Most had been expelled under Edward I and those who stayed had long since converted to Christianity (or at least publicly proclaimed themselves Christian while continuing to practise their religion in secret)
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 19:47
Originally posted by Nick1986

During Henry's reign Jews were almost nonxistent. Most had been expelled under Edward I and those who stayed had long since converted to Christianity (or at least publicly proclaimed themselves Christian while continuing to practise their religion in secret)

ok, so  it doesn't relevant with reforms. I got it Big smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply