Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Martin Luther King, Jr.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
4 [44.44%]
3 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 12:07
On searching through a list of famous black philosophers I come across this very well known man, Martin Luther King, Jr. So what I want to know is how you rate him, and what you think of him.

Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968) was an American clergyman, activist, and prominent leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. He is best known for being an iconic figure in the advancement of civil rights in the United States and around the world, using nonviolent methods following the teachings of Mahatma Gandhi. King has become a national icon in the history of modern American liberalism.

Baptist minister, King became a civil rights activist early in his career. He led the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and helped found the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957, serving as its first president. King's efforts led to the 1963 March on Washington, where King delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech. There, he expanded American values to include the vision of a color blind society, and established his reputation as one of the greatest orators in American history.

In 1964, King became the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for his work to end racial segregation and racial discrimination through civil disobedienceand other nonviolent means. By the time of his death in 1968, he had refocused his efforts on ending poverty and stopping the Vietnam War.

King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee. He was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977 and Congressional Gold Medal in 2004; Martin Luther King, Jr. Day was established as a U.S. federal holiday in 1986....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 14:52
I can't seem to vote in any of these pollsConfused
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 15:57
He was the right man for the right time.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 18:26
I rate him as great. Despite the fact that he was a womanizer and a plagiarizer, he had the vision, courage, and charisma crucial to ending Jim Crow in the South. He risked his life knowingly, and in the end he died for his ideals. The U.S. is a far better place because he walked among us, despite his flaws. 
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2011 at 08:58
I put him as genius.  Sure, he had his faults, but look at his accomplishments.  The segregation system eneeded to end and needed to end quickly or there was going to be violence. Likewise, if violence was used to end it, more violece was going to be used to defend it.

MLK planned his campaign like a military commander.  Pschological strengths and weaknesses in his movement and of the opposition were identified.  He then strenghtned his weakneeses while exploiting opposition weaknesses.  Systematic logistic preperations were made for every campaign. 

MLK divided the southern states into two groups:  The militant hard core and the nominally segregated.  North Carolina (nominal segregation state) was targetted first to get momentum.   Then, other nominal states werere bypassed as King brought the movement directly to the hard core (Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama etc.).   Victories there would then collapse segregation in the bypassed nominal states.  
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2011 at 02:01
Weak.
An unabashed shyster and fraud and political opportunist in many respects... whose reputation, as a advocate of civil liberties, was built on the backs of others for those with the eyes to see it.. What remains amazing is the ongoing veneration applied to the supposed black American 'Washington-Moses'.Wink

Especially after the proven revelations of his character and ambitions.

But....Americans are generally stupid and ever love heroes who should not receive the accolades or the title.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 11-Dec-2011 at 02:15
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2012 at 16:55
Originally posted by Cryptic

I put him as genius.  Sure, he had his faults, but look at his accomplishments.  The segregation system eneeded to end and needed to end quickly or there was going to be violence. Likewise, if violence was used to end it, more violece was going to be used to defend it.

MLK planned his campaign like a military commander.  Pschological strengths and weaknesses in his movement and of the opposition were identified.  He then strenghtned his weakneeses while exploiting opposition weaknesses.  Systematic logistic preperations were made for every campaign. 

MLK divided the southern states into two groups:  The militant hard core and the nominally segregated.  North Carolina (nominal segregation state) was targetted first to get momentum.   Then, other nominal states werere bypassed as King brought the movement directly to the hard core (Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama etc.).   Victories there would then collapse segregation in the bypassed nominal states.  

What campaigns exactly did MLK "plan'?
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2012 at 15:16
Originally posted by lirelou

I rate him as great. Despite the fact that he was a womanizer and a plagiarizer, he had the vision, courage, and charisma crucial to ending Jim Crow in the South. He risked his life knowingly, and in the end he died for his ideals. The U.S. is a far better place because he walked among us, despite his flaws. 

I an agree with that. No one is perfect, it's what one leaves behind that makes the difference. We are all flawed in many ways, so who are we to judge one with human flaws like ourselves? He was a brave man, I respect that.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 21:45
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 12:03
If there was a famous feminst leader who thought blacks were inferior, would she be a great person. If there was a famous gay leader who fought blacks were perverted, who he be a great person. So why is it acceptable for a black to hate gays and crap on women?

I always found him a small minded bigot. However he was tame and a non contraversial enough for the US establishment to propergandarise into a hero.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
 Post Reply Post Reply