Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is EU christian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Is EU Christian??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [45.24%]
23 [54.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is EU christian?
    Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 01:36
Originally posted by Gazi

[QUOTE=ak? read in the newspapers that the new pope says that EU is christian and turkey should not be allowed

The new pope also said that instead of joining the EU Turkey should go make a pact with Arabic countries.

Turkey's smarter than that, it knows the Wealth lies in the West..

Edited by strategos
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 08:28
I cant really say for Europe but in Scotland most people are not affiliated with teh Church in any way.
The census for the UK showed only 7% attend church.  In Scotland sunday school attendance in 1910 was 476,000 in 2000 it was 66,000.  So it has dramatically declined since the 2 World Wars. 
In a Scottish study it showed that 40% of 18-54 year olds chose no religious affiliation and over 54 it was 20%.
I would think those who did choose a religious affiliation 60% of 18-54 year olds the majority would just label themselves rather than actually believe in that religion.  In Scotland many people label themselves as protestant but not in a religious sense but cultural.  Especially in the West of Scotland.
I know protestants that dont believe in god .
For most Scots organised religion is irrelevant to their lives and would have their own interpretation of god rather than that of the Church since for the vast majority of us religion is a personal matter.
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 14:51
Originally posted by strategos

[QUOTE=ak? read in the newspapers that the new pope says that EU is christian and turkey should not be allowed

The new pope also said that instead of joining the EU Turkey should go make a pact with Arabic countries.

Turkey's smarter than that, it knows the Wealth lies in the West..

of course it does

The new pope also said that rock is anti-christian

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 18:36

Aku...

Instead , of starting again the blaming game " the Pope said that ..." , or the "Pope said this ...." , let me ask u one question...

Why should Turkey join EU ???

Isk.

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 21:16

I think you are missing an important point. One of the biggest European intellectual achievement in the feld of politics is the idea of separation of the church and state. This was a culmination of more than a thousand years of religious mayhem. These are the same ideas that United States were founded upon. Which means that all constitutions of the western world are based on it. This also means that people can believe or not as they wish, as long as it doesn't interfere with social order, and state doesnt' take an official stance on religion.

This is the reason I was glad when making Europe officially "christian" failed. Frankly speaking Europe, for most of its history, behaved anything but "christian"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 13:02
Originally posted by iskenderani

Aku...

Instead , of starting again the blaming game " the Pope said that ..." , or the "Pope said this ...." , let me ask u one question...

Isk.

what's your point?I'll open a thread about this too

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 13:03
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

This is the reason I was glad when making Europe officially "christian" failed. Frankly speaking Europe, for most of its history, behaved anything but "christian"

Yes it did beave christian.In fact europe got powerful when they got away from christianity

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 13:53

Because as strategos said Turkey knows that wealth lies in the west and it will help Turkey's economy.But if your question is "why should th EU accept Turkey?" well... thats a different matter.

Edited by Gazi
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:09

Because as strategos said Turkey knows that wealth lies in the west and it will help Turkey's economy.

Gazi....For a group of partners , to accept a new one there must be a mutual interest....So far u pointed Turkey's interest ..... What is Europes ????

But if your question is "why should th EU accept Turkey?" well... thats a different matter.

Nop...It is the same matter.... It will expaline Europe's interests....And there is none , at the moment. Only USA's interest..

Isk.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 11:30
Turkey is enriched with many precios things.If we join they can control our economy stronger

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 13:02

E.U. is totally a Christian club, and we have no place in such a club. I cant figure out why is it that hard to face it for some influenced minds.

Just look at the EU flag, EU constitution signature procedures, and the general system. The seperation of church and state doesnt change the fact that EU is a Christian club.

The twelve stars symbolize the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ. I cant imagine how our crescent in our flag will fit with this flag

The EU constitution is always signed in front of Pope 5th Sixtus's statue. I think this shows how much religious the club is. I wonder how would it happen if there was an Asian Union which was signed in front of a statue of an Islamic Caliph...

The popes still have a strong influence on the European's political views and decisions. Until hundreds of years before, the pope's only goal was to erase Turks from earth, and now, they are telling us to sign their constitution in front of that same person's giant statue, with a flag that symbolizes Christianity. This is only an insult to our national pride.

I remember that Jacques Chirac had gave a speech to European media, telling that the EU was bult on the common cultural inheritance btw the nations among history. And after that, he said "The main common cultural similarities btw is us the common inheritance of Roman Empire, and we are all sons of Roman Empire. And after a few days, Turkish minister of foreign Commerce, Krat Tzmen (Kurshat Tuzman) gave a speech as a reply for Chirac's speech. He said "Everyone should know whose son they are, and we are the sons of Ottoman Empire, as the sons of Turkish nation." I think this sentence totally explains the current situation. And this map shows where do we really belong to (Tajikistan and Georgia arent included in the real map)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:07
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

The twelve stars symbolize the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ. I cant imagine how our crescent in our flag will fit with this flag

False. 12 is number that traditionally means "completeness". Indeed the 12 apostles was one thing in which that symbolism was used. Other examples are the 12 hours on a clock, 12 months in a year, 12 symbols on the zodiac etc.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:11

Is the EU Christian? Seems that the new Pope would like to keep it so.

Pope stresses Europe's Christian roots in first audience. 

Wed Apr 27, 7:18 AM ET

Pope Benedict XVI stressed Europe's "inalienable" Christian roots in the first general audience of his pontificate, which he said marked a return to normality after the tumultuous events of the past month.

Speaking to a joyous crowd of 15,000 pilgrims, the new pope revealed he had chosen the name Benedict to follow the ideals of Benedict XV "a courageous and authentic prophet of peace" who led the Catholic Church during the dark years of World War I.

He said he also chose the name because Saint Benedict, founder of the Benedictine order, is one of the patron saints of Europe.

"Saint Benedict is therefore much venerated in Germany and in particular, in Bavaria, my native land; constituting a fundamental point of reference for the unity of Europe, and a strong call to the inalienable Christian roots of its culture and civilization."

The late John Paul II had controversially campaigned for specific mention of Europe's Christian roots to be made in the pre-amble of the European Union's new constitution.

Benedict XVI, then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, also publicly opposed the entrance of Turkey, a predominantly Muslim country, in the union.

At the start of the audience, a beaming pontiff made a lengthy tour of the sun-drenched St Peter's Square in his open popemobile at the beginning of his first general audience.

Pilgrims rushed forward to catch a glimpse of the 78-year-old pontiff, others stood on the chairs laid out of the audience holding up their cameras or mobile phones to snap a shot of Pope Benedict.

"It's exhilarating," said a flushed Liesl Bubnik from Wisconsin in the United States. "It's the first time I see anybody famous close-up."

It was the first general audience at the Vatican since January 26, a few days before the late pope John Paul II was hospitalised with flu.

"After the pious death of my venerated predecessor John Paul II, today start anew the traditional general Wednesday audiences," said the pontiff, sitting in front of the basilica. "We return to normality."

The pope again called for the world's 1.1 billion Roman Catholics to support him in his "great mandate" with prayer, and reiterated his surprise at his election as 264th successor of Peter.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:14

The twelve stars symbolize the 12 apostles of Jesus Christ.

No, it ultimetely symbolizes the 15 founding members of the Council of Europe. However, the Germans refused to admit Saar as sovereign, while France vetoed 14 which would mean admitance of Saar being German. 13 was bad luck, so it was settled for 12.
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:28
I also thought it referred to the members, allthough the magic 12 idea sounds good also. 12 is indeed considered a round number, a dozen, and it is why our European languages have distinct names for the numbers 1-12, whereas 13 (thirteen, dertien, tretton, dreizehn)  is the first compounded number.
Whatever you do, don't
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 00:45
Christian- The roots of Europe are Christian but the EU is secular. I am sure there are some Christian politicians but overall it is not Christian. It is a good question though!!!
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 05:36

E.U. is totally a Christian club, and we have no place in such a club. I cant figure out why is it that hard to face it for some influenced minds.

EU could be christian,but turkey is not muslim.so there is a chance we might join

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 05:38

Originally posted by eaglecap

Christian- The roots of Europe are Christian but the EU is secular. I am sure there are some Christian politicians but overall it is not Christian. It is a good question though!!!

I think so too but how come 13 people say yes?

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 07:59

The countries that form the European Union have Christian origins and many nations have strong Christian political parties.

Plus:  Statue of Pope Innocent X sure was Christian!

Edited by Seko
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:31
very good point

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>