Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monsters in Uniform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monsters in Uniform
    Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 09:17
Originally posted by unclefred

That's a very good point that should moderate the discussion a bit. (Bad pun)
I wonder about the Japanese? Especially in China?

Now that you mention it, the Japanese seemed to have used the exact opposite approach.  Maybe the pre-war Japanese culture of total obedience allowed them to use ordianry units for atrocities where as the Germans and Soviets encountered problems?

For example, ordinary Japanese sodliers were orderd to particiapte in the mass bayoneting of prisoners or the shooting of civilians as a means to "blood them".   Murder with a bayonet especially desensitized them for the next "action".  Ordinary German combat units rarely participated in directly in mass killings.

Ordinary Japanese combat units also conducted the horrific Kill All, Burn All, Loot All anti guerilla campaigns. In adition to "official murders", individual Japanese soldiers with sadistic tendencies were permitted / encouraged to act at random during these campaigns.  In contrast, the Germans used specialized units for mass murder,  round ups of victims from Ghettos and horrific anti partisan sweeps.  Sadistic actions by individuals was usually not permitted and seen as bad for discipline.

Pre War Soviet atrocities (1945 Vengenace atrocites were different) of mass murder, round ups for  deporations etc. were also conducted by specialized units (ideologically driven "Shock Worker" militias would supplement special NKVD units and move about the country side to new assignments).  As with the Germans, sadistic actions by individuals was rarely tolerated.

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Nov-2011 at 09:25
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 09:26
Perhaps because of his age he was in the "Volksturm"?  That's not a standard Uniform he's wearing.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Nick1986

I think he's a German or Austrian as he's wearing a WWI medal.
Good eyes and good knowledge

Originally posted by red clay

Perhaps because of his age he was in the "Volksturm"?  That's not a standard Uniform he's wearing.

Good points, but he is wearing the deaths head emblem which strongly suggests concentration camp / ghetto duties.  The Volkstrum were mobilized 1944-45 for last ditch combat and were not used as camp guards to my knowledge. 

Hmm... I am thinking Volksdeutch, probably from Poland.   That could explain his age, the German / Austrian WWI medal and his non standard uniform (older Volksdeutch volunteers more likely to be accepted early in the war as ghetto guards etc. and would be more likely to be issued improvised uniforms than German units from Germany).

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Nov-2011 at 12:00
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:01

Here's a photo of the German War Merit Cross. All WWI veterans from the German or Austro-Hungarian armies were eligible for this award
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2012 at 19:11

Joseph Mengele needs no introduction. This butcher performed gruesome experiments on Jewish prisoners for his own sick pleasure
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2012 at 19:11

Irma Grese was just 22 when she was executed for war crimes. During the war she was a guard at Auschwitz and enjoyed beating inmates and setting dogs on them
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 19:16

Klaus Barbie was a Gestapo officer who tortured men, women and children suspected of involvement with the French Resistance. After the war he supplied arms to Latin American dictatorships and helped the West German government root out suspected communists
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:13

Bronislav Kaminski was a Russian traitor who led an anticommunist SS unit against partisans. Kaminski's "Russian Liberation army" murdered over 10,000 civilians before he was arrested and shot by the Gestapo who blamed his death on the resistance
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 22:59
Originally posted by Nick1986

Bronislav Kaminski was a Russian traitor who led an anticommunist SS unit against partisans. Kaminski's "Russian Liberation army" murdered over 10,000 civilians before he was arrested and shot by the Gestapo who blamed his death on the resistance
His worst crimes were in Warsaw, where his unit (consisting of a large number of visciously anti polish ukrainians) committed atrocities that even the German SS thought were excessive.  These unauthorized atrocities, coupled with unauthorized looting and fears that his unit was spiraling totally out of control (potentially leading to even more headaches for the Germans) led to his execution at the hands of the SS.  As a trivia side note, I believe that Kaminski self identified as Belorussian, and not Russian.

Edited by Cryptic - 27-Feb-2012 at 23:05
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 19:06

Theodore Eicke commanded the 3rd SS "Totenkopf" division tasked with exterminating the Jews. He personally executed Ernst Rohm during the Night of the Long Knives and was put in charge of inspecting the concentration camps during the war
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 19:18

The Japanese army was an army of cowards in which every soldier was a monster. Toshiaki Mukai and Tsuyoshi Noda had a contest to see who could behead 100 prisoners first, in the tradition of their Samurai predecessors
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 20:19

Japanese officer Yasuno Chikao tortured and beheaded several Australian prisoners, including sergeant Leonard Siffleet. Some say this butcher was killed in action and others say he was captured and sentenced to death but released after 10 years in jail
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 19:41
Another Nazi war criminal was arrested today. Hungarian police chief Lazlo Csatary is accused of sending over 15000 Jews to Auschwitz
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175308/Laszlo-Csatary-Number-wanted-Nazi-war-criminal-arrested-Budapest.html
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2012 at 21:24

Sadistic Gestapo chief Reinhard Heydrich was one of the planners of the Final Solution. His assassination by British-trained Czechoslovakian soldiers resulted in the 1942 Lidice Massacre where 340 civilians were murdered by the Germans on site, or sent to the death camps
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2012 at 19:49

Adolf Eichmann was assigned by Heydrich to oversee the deportation of Jews to the death camps. This monster escaped to South America after the war but was captured by a team of Israeli commandos and hung in 1962 after a show trial.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 20:18

Lidice monument to the 84 children murdered by the Nazis
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2012 at 19:13
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2012 at 19:20

General Yamashita plundered the riches of Southeast Asia and concealed it in a network of caves in the Philippines. This gangster was responsible for the Manila and Sook Ching massacres: cold-blooded murder of Filipino and Singaporean citizens suspected of being guerrillas. The Japs even murdered hospital patients and Red Cross personnel
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 20:04

Ante Pavelic led the Croatian fascists during WWII. His Ustashe committed atrocities that sickened even the Germans. Their speciality was beheading prisoners with a special knife integrated into a glove known as a Srbosjek or "Serb cutter"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2012 at 19:45

An original Ustashe knife
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>