Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Habemus Papal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Habemus Papal
    Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 13:34

Hugo, do you know the reason priests are not allowed to marry?  It is so that they can focus on God and helping others.  If they were to marry their major love and devotion would be to them.

As for women being ordaned, I just don't think anyone is truely ready for that.  Just like America is not yet ready for a women president.  Can you really see Hilary Clinton as president or a priest?

As for the comdemnation of Liberation Theology, I truthfully do not know what that is.  Perhaps you may enlighten me.

Overall, people believe that changes will make the Church better and bring in more poeple.  But in many senses, it is quite the oposite.  Many devote Catholics who still believe in the current Church will fall away from it.  It would just not be better for the Church or Catholics.  We should not have to change just to attract a few people.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 14:36
I agree. Church is not and cant be ruled like some kind of buissnes which is better when has more customers. People want catholic church to accept contraconception, abortions, priest and gay marriages. There are so many other institutions which accept it that i belive church doesnt have to be one of them. And being catholic is not compulsory.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 19:37
Originally posted by The General

Hugo, do you know the reason priests are not allowed to marry? It is so that they can focus on God and helping others. If they were to marry their major love and devotion would be to them.

In most Protestant and Orthodox Churches priests can be married. Are you suggesting that they are therefore inferior priests compared to the celibate Catholics?
History of Celibacy (very interesting reading)

As for women being ordaned, I just don't think anyone is truely ready for that. Just like America is not yet ready for a women president. Can you really see Hilary Clinton as president or a priest?

There have been woman priest in the Protestant church for ages and the Anglikan just recently began with the ordanitation of women.
And for your other argument, if states like Pakistan, Bangla Desh or Sri Lanka, all countries the average American probably sees as backward or un-civilised, can have women presidents, why not the US?
Or is it the other way round?

Overall, people believe that changes will make the Church better and bring in more poeple. But in many senses, it is quite the oposite. Many devote Catholics who still believe in the current Church will fall away from it. It would just not be better for the Church or Catholics. We should not have to change just to attract a few people

If the Catholic Church should follow this strategy, then it will become nothing more than a historical re-enactment society, where members dress up in fancy dress, perform ancient rites and pretend to be in the Middle Ages.
If the Roman Church has not the ideological strength to deal with the cultural changes that have occured over the centuries and revise anachronistic doctrines that were written for very different times, than it will end up, where it probably belongs, "auf dem Muellhaufen der Geschichte." (the dungheap of history)

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 20:49

First of all, I never said that priests that were married are inderior.  But what I am saying is that they will have less time for the people.  And they have not had the okay of the Pope to do so anyways.  Different religion really.

Secondly, I never said the US can NOT have  a women president but I did say that we are not ready.  Nor are Pakistan, Bangle Desh, or Sri Lanka in reality.  Countries like Afgahinstan just allowed women to go to school and be in pubic freely.

If the Church follows that startegy of not changing just to please people, it will stay what it has always been: a religios institute in honor of God and Jesus Christ.  In many aspects we perform many rites performed in the Middle Ages so I really don't see you point, and perhaps you don't see mine; the Church should not change just because people want it to "modernize" itself.  I can see why governemnts and companies should modernize because they do not have beliefs that they have been based on for thousands of years.  The Church, on the other hand, as had the same beliefs since Jesus' time.  Why change now?

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 22:11
Originally posted by Thegeneral

As for women being ordaned, I just don't think anyone is truely ready for that. Just like America is not yet ready for a women president. Can you really see Hilary Clinton as president or a priest?

Thanks for addressing this issues. So far, most of the liberal Catholics had expressed their views. The views of conservative Catholics have now been well expressed by you and Mosquito. Now we have a balanced thread

You are right abou that Most people are not ready for that. At the same time, this is a solution for having more priests and keeping the requirement of celibacy.

The issue of marriage was delt in a prior post, so I will only add that celibacy is not a dogmatic doctrine, which means that it can be changed without changing the teachings of the Church.

As for the comdemnation of Liberation Theology, I truthfully do not know what that is. Perhaps you may enlighten me.

Ironically, it is very similar to what Opus Dei do. The only difference is that it adds a political component. It has been very influencial in Latin America. Frankly, I do not know the extent of the condemnation, but it was enough to cool the movement.

Overall, people believe that changes will make the Church better and bring in more poeple. But in many senses, it is quite the oposite. Many devote Catholics who still believe in the current Church will fall away from it. It would just not be better for the Church or Catholics. We should not have to change just to attract a few people.

You make a very good point here. That is why the changes should only be to on customs, not theological doctrines.

The shortage of priests is a huge problem; there are not enough to take care of the needs of millions of Catholics. Evangelicals are converting millions in Latin America alone. Unfortunatelly, not only do they convert them, they also give them anti-Catholic sentiments as well. For example, many Latin American evangelicals say that Catholics are not Christians.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 22:55

Originally posted by hugoestr

The views of conservative Catholics have now been well expressed by you and Mosquito.

well, im as much catholic as you are.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2005 at 23:18
Mosquito,

You are right about our devotion to the Church. I was only saying that you and Thegeneral have expressed a conservative Catholic view. Not only that, you have done a great job at it.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 06:21

You make a very good point here. That is why the changes should only be to on customs, not theological doctrines.

I think it is a fallacy to understand the theological doctrines of the Catholic Church as irrevocable truths. If you analyse how most of these doctrine originated, you will probably find that these doctrines are very much a product of the temporal circumstances, dictated by cultural and political necessities and not possessing of universal and eternal values.
For example, the Nicean Creed that rejected Arianism, was mainly determined by political motives, namely as Constantine's attempt to secure the unity of his Empire and the fact that Arianist belief hasn't become official doctrine of the Church reflects the distribution of political power in Constantine's Empire rather than theological certainty over the nature of Christ.
The same argument applies to the "filioque" debate or the establishment of the supremacy of the Patriarch of Rome.
Thus, the argument that the doctrines of the Church cannot be subjected to "relativism" doesn't really hold, as they are indeed a product of a particular historical and cultural framework and do not possess eternal truths that wouldn't allow for modification.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 06:32
Originally posted by The General

First of all, I never said that priests that were married are inderior. But what I am saying is that they will have less time for the people.

You have still not explained why, although it works perfectly well for the majority of Christian Churches, it wouldn't work, im your opinion, for the Catholic Church. Apart from the fact that that bunch of septuagenerians in Rome don't want it. I think their obvious contempt for women reflects what a life of sexual repression can do for you!

Secondly, I never said the US can NOT have a women president but I did say that we are not ready. Nor are Pakistan, Bangle Desh, or Sri Lanka in reality.

What the heck do you mean? How do you measure, if a country is ready or not?
If the good citiziens of the US should indeed not be ready for a woman president, it is a sad reflection of their states of mind and rather confirm a number of European prejudices over the birthplace of democracy and freedom.

Edited by Komnenos
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 09:22

Originally posted by Komnenos

I think it is a fallacy to understand the theological doctrines of the Catholic Church as irrevocable truths. If you analyse how most of these doctrine originated, you will probably find that these doctrines are very much a product of the temporal circumstances, dictated by cultural and political necessities and not possessing of universal and eternal values.
For example, the Nicean Creed that rejected Arianism, was mainly determined by political motives, namely as Constantine's attempt to secure the unity of his Empire and the fact that Arianist belief hasn't become official doctrine of the Church reflects the distribution of political power in Constantine's Empire rather than theological certainty over the nature of Christ.
The same argument applies to the "filioque" debate or the establishment of the supremacy of the Patriarch of Rome.
Thus, the argument that the doctrines of the Church cannot be subjected to "relativism" doesn't really hold, as they are indeed a product of a particular historical and cultural framework and do not possess eternal truths that wouldn't allow for modification.

You made very good point here. Most of the people seems to forget that Constantine gathered together most of the bishops and simply forced them to adopt one doctrine. Those who didnt want were simply forced to agree.

Edited by Mosquito
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 10:08

But wasn't Constontine the Emperor?  Big difference because he was running the Roman Empire.  Not an easy task.

As for the shortage of priests, your right, that is a major problem but I am not sure that ordaning women would change the shortage.  It might even cause more scandals and what not that would lower Catholic numbers as the priest scandals did.

How do I measure if a country is ready or not, I suppose you really can't until a women runs for that office.  But if Clinton, Hilary that is, runs for president, she will not win!  I can assure you that.  People are really just getting used to allowing women in the cabinet.

As for priests marrying, it would be a major problem if priests married.  I beleive it is a major part of a priests life to be chaste.  How will it look if they have a wife and kids?  NOt too good I'm afraid.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 11:58
As for the comdemnation of Liberation Theology, I truthfully do not know what that is. Perhaps you may enlighten me.

The liberation theology is a somewhat leftist branch of Roman Catholicism. It was very popular in Latin America in the 1970's and 1980's. It paid much attention to human rights and liberation from oppression and poverty. Most of its doctrines are taken from the sermon on the mount. It was condemned by the pope in 1979 because it turned Christ into a "revolutionary". Perhaps the most famous liberation theologist was scar Romero, the pacifist archbisshop of San Salvador who was killed by right wing death squads in 1980. Pres. Aristide of Haiti was also a liberation theologist, as were several Sandinists.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2005 at 22:41
Originally posted by Komnenos

You are historically correct, Komnenos. Yet the Roman Church cannot accept this argument as the basis for change The official belief is that the Church is guarding the revealed truths from the time Jesus was on earth. These truths are dogmas, and these cannot change.

Within this structure, anything else that is not dogmatic doctrine can change. Not only can it change, it has changed in the past.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 16:53

Liberation Theology:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 17:32
actually you forgot something:

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 17:55

Thanks for addressing this issues. So far, most of the liberal Catholics had expressed their views. The views of conservative Catholics have now been well expressed by you and Mosquito. Now we have a balanced thread

Now for the moderate Catholic opinion....

The Church needs to recognize her needs of reinvention and adaptation otherwise it will become anachronic and will not be a reflect of today's societity.

Jalisco, the church does evolve, just not in our lifetimes, they ARE on the cutting edge, the cutting edge of fifty years ago, and have been since their creation. I think that this is a good thing. If we change the church to suit our fickle human needs then we aren't doing God's will. Perhaps, in fifty years issues brought up now will alter the church, like priests being married. I hope so, but we can't truly know the fall out until we as a church reflect on the issue.

Women seem to be really into religion, and many would make wonderful priests. There is no dogmatic doctrine that says they cannot be priests. It is just a custom.

To that I respond with this I found here (i know a poor source but it sounds right): http://www.cin.org/archives/apolo/200007/0118.html

Also the Church has not proclaimed as a dogma that she cannot ordain women
priests according to the opinion of most people, including I believe
Cardinal Ratzinger who issued a statement about the matter, saying it was
not a dogma, but rather an exercise of the ordinary magisterium. However,
since it does seem based not only on the teaching of the pope, but also on
the history of the Church, that it is part of the faith of the Church that
she does not have the authority to ordain women priests, I think we would
do well to believe in this truth.

I personally think that the pope did proclaim as a dogma that the Church
does not have the authority to ordain women priests. However, note the
exact nature of what was proclaimed dogma. The pope did not declare as a
dogma that women couldn't become priests or that Jesus could not make a
woman a priest -- he only declared as a dogma that the Church cannot or
does not have the authority to make women priests. Just because the
Church does not have the authority to make women priests, does not mean
that God or Jesus does not have that authority. There are many things the
Church on earth has no authority to do, but which God does have the
authority to do -- for example the Church does not have the authority to
judge the soul of a person, but Jesus does have that authority.

It appears tradition plays a role in that and as all Catholics are aware the living tradition of the church is just as important as the scriptures.

...which will make gay marraiges legal and allow adoption of children by such "couples" maybe Opus Dei is right.

I'm with Mosquito in banning gay marriage, but then again I'm for banning all forms of civil marriage and making it a totally religious experience, but that's just me.

But Mosquito, you must understand that God made gays and that he loves them and that a gay man or woman can lead a good pure catholic life, they just must proscribe to the fact that they can't have sex before marriage and they can't marry someone of their own gender. Therefore I say that any good person should be allowed to adopt a child. There's a shortage of parents for these kids as it is.

The Liberation Theology is basically this, rather than focusing on a personal salvation through one's own suffering and trials the church should make it it's goal to aid the impoverished from oppression by using force against the oppressors (since the oppressors are obviously not living up to the words of Christ.) However there is a problem in this. We are a universal church, not a church for the poor. If we take the stance of the poor always (who can also be wrong at times) then we are biased against the rich, and a universal church can have no biases.

Here's a link: http://home.earthlink.net/~ronrhodes/Liberation.html

If you analyse how most of these doctrine originated, you will probably find that these doctrines are very much a product of the temporal circumstances, dictated by cultural and political necessities and not possessing of universal and eternal values.

How do you know these circumstances were not dictated by God? Likewise I can't prove that they were, but the Lord works in mysterious ways, why could this not be one of them.

Apart from the fact that that bunch of septuagenerians in Rome don't want it.

Actually the Catholic church has many married priests right now. Eastern Rite Catholics have been allowed to observe doctrines not outside of Catholic Orthodoxy and Anglican priests that later converted to catholicism have been allowed to keep their wives...

Sorry if you can't find your reply right away I went in chronological order.

I need to become a trained theologian, my amateur findings leave much wanting.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 20:57

So the Liberation Theology was tearing down opressive gov'ts by force.  Correct?  If so than of course John Paul and Benidict did and will condem it, and rightfully so!  Catholics are strongly against war.  Teh entire world saw that John Paul was probally the most anti-war person in the war.  The Soviet and Polish governments both said that the Pope had no armies but was the strongest man in the world.  He brought down the Soviet and the Polish governments making them free.  They should and will continue to condem it!

Otherwise, I have nothing else to say.  JanusRock pretty much summed it up!

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 21:28
The general,

Your statement about the Church being strongly for peace does not stand historical scrutiny. The Crusades were blessed by the Church, the Church supported Catholic nations against non-Catholic nations, and the Church supported the conquest of the Americas. During the reconquest of Spain, there were Bishops that lead troops in battle against the Moors.

You may say that this changed in the 20th century. In Mexico the Church supported a religious revolt in the 1920s. And as far as I know, the Church didn't seem that upset about Franco in Spain either.

The Church could have censured the execesses of the movement, but not all of it wholesale.

Also, your statement about the Pope bringing down the Soviet empire is an exageration. The Soviet Union crumbled for having a bad economy and spending the little money that they had in the arm's race.

JanusRook,

As always, you have great posts on the subject. I will just comment on your source

If the church holds a doctrine to be dogma, this has to be stated as such by the pope or the council of bishops. This has been the case of every dogma that is not included in the creed. So far, there has been no such statement. The person you are quoting is wrong when he says that a prohibition against women priests is dogma.

This means that it is possible, although unlikely with the current pope. I think that allowing priests to marry is the most probable solution. If this doesn't help the shortage, then they will move to ordaining women.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 17:31

As always, you have great posts on the subject.

Why thank you, it is one of my major areas of study. Unfortunately AE is very low on theological threads.

The person you are quoting is wrong when he says that a prohibition against women priests is dogma.

I think he was stating his beliefs, but what he says makes good sense(not necessarily to me but in a theological sense) even if it isn't dogma.

If this doesn't help the shortage, then they will move to ordaining women.

Latin Rite priests will marry before women will be ordained, I think that can be quoted as fact.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 18:05
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

actually you forgot something:

So did you!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>