Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

120 Roman Shoes Found in U.K.; "Substantial" Fort

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120 Roman Shoes Found in U.K.; "Substantial" Fort
    Posted: 11-Oct-2011 at 19:07
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 20:57
I saw some well-preserved Roman sandals at Verulamium. Their hobnailed soles provided grip comparable to modern combat boots
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 20:59
Indeed and equally useful in hand to hand.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2011 at 19:48
Legionaries were trained to use their boots as weapons: a kick from a hobnailed caligae could do a lot of damage to an unarmored opponent
Pellaeon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pellaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2011 at 19:49
O: rome? yay they fond Roman stuff :D
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 19:31

The uppers of Roman sandals were made from a single piece of leather. Check out the size of their metal hobnails
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 09:47
60 pairs of sandals dumped in a ditch, but were in relatively good condition. That doesn't make sense as just random discarding. Sounds more like a lost consignment, or a mass replacement of existing footware.

Nick1986 - I didn't realise Roman sandals had so much cut leather work. They can't have been very easy to put on in a hurry, or even slowly. I imagine toes and ankles getting entangled through the holes!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 19:22
Originally posted by Sidney

60 pairs of sandals dumped in a ditch, but were in relatively good condition. That doesn't make sense as just random discarding. Sounds more like a lost consignment, or a mass replacement of existing footware.

Nick1986 - I didn't realise Roman sandals had so much cut leather work. They can't have been very easy to put on in a hurry, or even slowly. I imagine toes and ankles getting entangled through the holes!

They were laced. It would have been relatively easy to pull the drawstring tight  in a hurry. The cuts served a practical purpose: to prevent the boots being filled with water
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2012 at 19:34

These Celtic "Ghillie brogues" served a similar purpose. Originally they were worn by Highland gamekeepers tasked with chasing birds across the moor to the waiting guns
 Post Reply Post Reply