Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Love letters of the famous

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Love letters of the famous
    Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 11:52
Just the other day, and totally by accident I found a love letter by Beethoven to a lover, and was wondering if there are many other love letters out there by the famous. So if you know of any please post them on here. I find they add a totally different angle to these people we don't normally get to see. Now for the ladies I ask, say you imagine that the Alani Dragon is writing the words in the letter to you, do you feel the words in the letter touching your heart? 

Beethoven's Love Letter

July 6th, in the morning
My angel, my all, my very self. - Only a few words today, and, what is more, written in pencil (and with your pencil)-I shan't be certain of my rooms here until tomorrow; what an unnecessary waste of time is all this--Why this profound sorrow, when necessity speaks--can our love endure without sacrifices, without our demanding everything from one another, can you alter the fact that you are not wholly mine, that I am not wholly yours?--Dear God, look at Nature in all her beauty and set your heart at rest about what must be--Love demands all, and rightly so, and thus it is for me with you, for you with me-- but you forget so easily that I must live for me and for you; if we were completely united, you would fee this painful necessity just as little as I do--My journey was dreadful and I did not arrive here until yesterday at four o'clock in the morning. As there were few horses the mail coach chose another route, but what a dreadful road it was; at the last state but one I was warned not to travel by night; attempts were made to frighten me about a forest, but all this only spurred me on to proceed--and it was wrong of me to do so.. The coach broke down, of course, owing to the dreadful road which had not been made up and was nothing but a country track. If we hadn't had those two postillions I should have been left stranded on the way--On the other ordinary road Esterhazy with eight horses met with the same fate as I did with four--Yet I felt to a certain extent that pleasure I always feel when I have overcome some difficulty successfully--Well, let me turn quickly from outer to inner experiences. No doubt we shall meet soon; and today also time fails me to tell you of the thoughts which during these last few days I have been revolving about my life--If our hearts were always closely united, I would certainly entertain no such thoughts. My hear overflows with a longing to tell you so many things--Oh--there are moments when I find that speech is quite inadequate--Be cheerful-- and be for ever my faithful, my only sweetheart, my all, as I am yours. The gods must send us everything else, whatever must and shall be our fate--
Your faithful Ludwig

Monday evening, July 6th
You are suffering, you, my most precious one--I have noticed the very moment that letters have to be handed in very early, on Monday--or on Thursday--the only days when the mail coach goes from here to K[arlsbad].--You are suffering--Oh, where I am, you are with me--I will see to it that you and I, that I can live with you. What a life!!!! as it is now!!!! without you--pursued by the kindness of people here and there, a kindness that I think-that I wish to deserve just as little as I deserve it--man's homage to man--that pains me--and when I consider myself in the setting of the universe, what I am and what is the man--whom one calls the greatest of me--and yet--on the other hand therein lies the divine element in man==I weep when I think that probably you will not receive the first news of me until Saturday--However much you love me--good night--Since I am taking the baths I must get off to sleep--Dear God--so near! so far! Is not our love truly founded in heaven--and, what is more, as strongly cemented as the firmament of Heaven?--

Good morning, on July 7th
Even when I am in bed my thoughts rush to you, my eternally beloved, now and then joyfully, then again sadly, waiting to know whether Fate will hear our prayer--To face life I must live altogether with you or never see you. Yes, I am resolved to be a wanderer abroad until I can fly to your arms and say that I have found my true home with you and enfolded in your arms can let my soul be wafted to the realm on blessed spirits--alas, unfortunately it must be so--You will become composed, the more so as you know that I am faithful to you; no other woman can ever possess my heart--never--never--Oh God, why must one be separated from her who is so dear. Yet my life in V[ienna] at present is a miserable life--Your love has made me both the happiest and the unhappiest of mortals--At my age I now need stability and regularity in my life--can this coexist with our relationship?--Angel, I have just heard that the post goes every day--and therefore I must close, so that you may receive the letter immediately--Be calm; for only by calmly considering our lives can we achieve our purpose to live together--Be calm--love me--Today--yesterday--what tearful longing for you--for you--you--my life--my all--all good wishes to you--Oh, do continue to love me--never misjudge your lover's most faithful heart.

ever yours
ever mine
ever ours

L.

Are the men reading the letter impressed by it? I think it is pretty eye opening.

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 12:31
Excessive... expressive superflous.

Mine was better.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 12:46
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Excessive... expressive superflous.

Mine was better.
Really, Centrix Vigilis, wonderful. In fact I would consider you to be famous on here, so feel free to enlighten us poor wretches. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 14:19
Well since ya asked.......

And mind ye... I am quoting from memory as the lady kept the letter.

It was left on her bedside the morning I left to be deployed on a rather serious op...tho that is not important and it went something like this.

"Try not to worry though it is natural. Take care of yourself and our son. The men I am with will care for me as I do them. Though we go into harms way.... we are pretty damn good so I am not really concerned. But you of course will think other.

Besides if I get whacked ya get the insurance money, the accounts, the cars, the cattle and the ground. So ya in good shape.

But hell or heaven...I will always love you. And as I believe it will be heaven. Then when ya get there look there for me.

Because no other god damn, love struck, fool would have ever wandered the Llano looking for cactus roses for you except me."

That more or less was it.

Some of my better work now that I dredge it up and recall.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 15:12
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Well since ya asked.......

And mind ye... I am quoting from memory as the lady kept the letter.

It was left on her bedside the morning I left to be deployed on a rather serious op...tho that is not important and it went something like this.

"Try not to worry though it is natural. Take care of yourself and our son. The men I am with will care for me as I do them. Though we go into harms way.... we are pretty damn good so I am not really concerned. But you of course will think other.

Besides if I get whacked ya get the insurance money, the accounts, the cars, the cattle and the ground. So ya in good shape.

But hell or heaven...I will always love you. And as I believe it will be heaven. Then when ya get there look there for me.

Because no other god damn, love struck, fool would have ever wandered the Llano looking for cactus roses for you except me."

That more or less was it.

Some of my better work now that I dredge it up and recall.

Don't sell yourself short, Centrix Vigilis, the whole letter left on her bedside in the context you were talking about shows that little extra degree of concern. You wrote a really poignant letter and I like it very much. 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2012 at 16:59
Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (A.D. 61/62-c. 113) Roman lawyer and writer known as Pliny the Younger, left a collection of letters that gives the most complete picture available of public and private life in Rome at the end of the 1st century.

He was born in northern Italy at Novum Comum (now Como) and adopted as heir by his uncle, the scientist and historian Pliny the Elder. Practicing law from the age of 18, his honesty and financial skills brought him success in inheritance cases and as the prosecutor of corrupt officials. 

c. A.D. 100 

You say that you are feeling my absence very much, and your only comfort when I am not there is to hold my writings in your hand and often put them in my place by your side. I like to think that you miss me and find relief in this sort of consolation. I, too, am always reading your letters, and returning to them again and again as if they were new to me -- but this only fans the fire of my longing for you. If your letters are so dear to me, you can imagine how I delight in your company; do write as often as you can, although you give me pleasure mingled with pain.

http://www.theromantic.com/LoveLetters/gaius.htm

LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2015 at 20:14
Love Letter of Emperor Napoleon I to Empress Marie Louise    
Montereau, 20 February, 1814     

My Dearest,    
You have sent me a very beautiful comfit-box, with the portrait of the King of Rome at prayer. I want you to have it engraved with the caption: "I pray God to save my father and France."   

This little picture is so interesting that it will please everybody.      

Give my son a kiss, keep well, and never doubt all my love.       

Nap.           

Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2015 at 20:41
A few days after Napoleon Bonaparte married his first wife Josephine, he left to command the French army near Italy.       
On July 17, 1796 Napoleon wrote to Josephine:     

"Since I have left you, I have been constantly depressed. My happiness is to be near you. Incessantly I live over in my memory your caresses, your tears, your affectionate solitude. The charms of the incomparable Josephine kindle continually a burning and a glowing flame in my heart."
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2015 at 20:50
1527 letter of King Henry VIII of England written to Anne Boleyn:     

"I and my heart put ourselves into your hands, begging you to have them suitors for your good favour, and that your affection for them should not grow less through absence. It is with our love, for by absence we are parted, yet nevertheless it keeps its fervor, at least on my side, and I hope on yours also."
 Post Reply Post Reply