Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Akkadian origin of "Asia" and "Europe"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Akkadian origin of "Asia" and "Europe"?
    Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 07:25

Asia in etymonline.com:

Asia Look up Asia at Dictionary.com
c.1300, from L. Asia, from Gk. Asia, speculated to be from Akkad. asu "to go out, to rise," in reference to the sun, thus "the land of the sunrise."

Europe in etymonline.com:

Europe Look up Europe at Dictionary.com

Often explained as "broad face," from eurys "wide" (see aneurysm) + ops "face." But also traditionally linked with Europa, Phoenician princess in Greek mythology. Klein (citing Heinrich Lewy) suggests a possible Semitic origin in Akkad. erebu "to go down, set" (in reference to the sun) which would parallel orient. Another suggestion along those lines is Phoenician 'ereb "evening," hence "west."

As I said in this thread: Northeast European Tribe, Scythian, Europe could be the name of a western Scythian tribe and Asia is still the name of an Eastern Scythian tribe (Ossetians/ Asi people). Greeks just divided ancient Scyhita in two European and Asian parts.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 10:36
don't you thing etymology is amazingBig smile

I can proof your translate with turkish sources
http://www.nisanyansozluk.com/?k=avrupa

But about your theory, I am mesopotamia-centric people so I believe that basic words like asia-europe should used firstly in Akkad empire or any mesopotamian culture and also in your reference origins of words are akkad.

however you said just could, yes it could, maybe greeks just took the word-east&west and change them, for using lands.  By the way, scythians culture wasn't too strong in Anatolia(mostly ukrania and south russia europe) I think, it is more possible to think that they used asia term something in anatolia. or middle east.  these are theories, it is not easy to say certain things.

Edited by Ollios - 02-Oct-2011 at 10:37
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 14:11
More precise those are story tales!WE AGREE about one thing at least.That means good beginning.LOL
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 21:50
Where exactly is Asia? Does it start in Turkey, Iran, or India?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 04:52
Originally posted by Nick1986

Where exactly is Asia? Does it start in Turkey, Iran, or India?

if you learn it, please tell me tooBig smile

It is problamatic defination, because you can't explain it with maths, jeology or physic. It is social science term. According to jeololgy, it is same with Asia so this makes it just a part of Asia, like middle east, or far east.

General borders are Aegean sea, Marmara Sea, Black sea, Caucasus, Ural Mountains and Ural River. According to this defination Kazakhstan has got land in Europe as Turkey.

Green: Europe
Purple: Asia
Light Blue:
European territory of transcontinental states
Blue: Transcontinental states

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2011 at 14:49

About Asia, the word Asa also means "to rise" in Persian, I think the English word "East" has the same origin, the eastern part of Iran is called Khorasan (khor+asa+an) which means "land of the sunrise", but about Europe and Erebu, I don't know it can be related to Arab who lived in the West.

Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2011 at 16:18
Names starting with A could have a consonant in front. Coming from the east and the south east, the landmass seemed forested. That's where i would suspect the origin of the name, related to woodlands, jura perhaps
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2011 at 18:22
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

About Asia, the word Asa also means "to rise" in Persian, I think the English word "East" has the same origin, the eastern part of Iran is called Khorasan (khor+asa+an) which means "land of the sunrise", but about Europe and Erebu, I don't know it can be related to Arab who lived in the West.

what was the exact territory of khorasan??
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2011 at 18:49
Originally posted by balochii

what was the exact territory of khorasan??

nobody can say exact territoriesBig smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Khorasan

A is Khorosan, I think this map shows the biggest Khorasan

Iranic khorosan(according to viki)

StarI remember the name of khorosan with Turkish immigration to east. This name spread to west with Turks

Some places which are located more west then real khorosan
*Sain Qaleh(Iran) also known as Khorosan, small town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sain_Qaleh
*Horosan(Turkey), small town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horasan

Edited by Ollios - 04-Oct-2011 at 18:53
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2011 at 18:54
^ for some reason i thought baloch/sistan region was part of it too, i guess not
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2011 at 14:34
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Asia in etymonline.com:

Asia Look up Asia at Dictionary.com
c.1300, from L. Asia, from Gk. Asia, speculated to be from Akkad. asu "to go out, to rise," in reference to the sun, thus "the land of the sunrise."

Europe in etymonline.com:

Europe Look up Europe at Dictionary.com

Often explained as "broad face," from eurys "wide" (see aneurysm) + ops "face." But also traditionally linked with Europa, Phoenician princess in Greek mythology. Klein (citing Heinrich Lewy) suggests a possible Semitic origin in Akkad. erebu "to go down, set" (in reference to the sun) which would parallel orient. Another suggestion along those lines is Phoenician 'ereb "evening," hence "west."

As I said in this thread: Northeast European Tribe, Scythian, Europe could be the name of a western Scythian tribe and Asia is still the name of an Eastern Scythian tribe (Ossetians/ Asi people). Greeks just divided ancient Scyhita in two European and Asian parts.

Erebu sounds very close to the deepest part of Hades also known as Erebus which is described by Greeks as being a dark and scorching place.
Timidi mater non flet
 Post Reply Post Reply