Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German invasion in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: German invasion in Europe
    Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 04:05
Hitler wanted to attack Soviet Union. It was his life challenge he never gave up on and finally did it. But why attack all the other lands in the west, north and south, as far as north Africa. Why not simply take Poland and have way open for the attack on Russia. What good did the invasion of Greece and Yugoslavia and so on.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2011 at 19:14
in the case of Greece and Yugoslavia, the Nazis invaded to help the Italians whose own advance had been slowed. In Hitler's new world order the Balkans would become part of the Italian empire
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 14:12
Why attack the French and English. They wouldn't have moved their asses anyway. Everyone remembered the war before. Who was giving  Hitler  orders to mess with the west? What did Germany gain by occupying France and other Euro countries? Will people agree that Sea Lion was merely to distract the main opponent? No one sane would think of taking over Britain by flying some planes over it and dropping some bombs.
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 14:43
hitler didnt really want a war with britain
if he could have made peace with britain he would have
on sealion think it might have taken place,if the raf had been defeated
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 14:45

on the soviets war had to happenif hitler didnt attack

stalin would have

Edited by claymore - 15-Oct-2011 at 14:51
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 15:42
That's another story. Stalin wouldn't have gained anything by attacking Germany,, only trouble with the rest of the world.

me thinks that Hitlers war in Europe had only one valid goal; to get at the french and other countries weaponry. Nothing political about it. I may be wrong here because i don't know whether Germany was still paying for the first world war at that time. I guess hitler cancelled all reparations.

French army was larger on paper than German. Germans had not enough gear to fight the Soviets and not enough resources, money and time to produce more  in short time. So it was one option only to fill the void before attacking  SU. Backing up the Atlantic coast was handy but not essential. Invasion of Britain was pointless; the English had bad tanks and nothing of worth  for the land war in the east.

claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 16:05
dont think it was weaponry , he needed them out of the way
to attack russia, french army was bigger but
german army better led
german panzers fought on masse, french small pockets
france still fought world war1 tactics
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 16:21
he sure needed them out of the way. it's better to fight with clean back

It was not only tactics but also numbers and geography in the war with Russia. i wonder how much military equipment from the occupied countries was put to use in the east and  in Europe during the war. Statistics may answer that.

claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2011 at 16:48
some tanks not that many
german tanks at that time mark 3 mark 4 a lot better
later on in russia they used taken t34's
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:29
Originally posted by claymore

some tanks not that many
german tanks at that time mark 3 mark 4 a lot better
later on in russia they used taken t34's

I always thought the T-34 was the best tank of the war. In the Russian winter the fuel of German tanks froze up and had to be heated with blowtorches
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:34
t34 and kv1s were great tanks
but a german tiger could take them out at long range
when a t34 got close they had a great chance
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:43

By the time the Tiger entered service the Russians had the Josef Stalin tank. Its armor protected it from the Nazis' 88s and its 122mm gun enabled it to penetrate the thickest armor. This gun was also fitted to a variant of the KV-1, the ISU-122
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:52
great photo
was the josef stalin tank at kursk, i know the russians won that battle
but the russian losses on tanks to the tiger where of the scale
they were just lucky they had the reserves to replace them
Michael Mckean View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Michael Mckean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 18:04
Operation Barbarossa cost Germany the war, Hitler should have kept all his forces concentrated on mainland Europe and Britain. Also, war with the USA was just as costly, if only Hitler had left the USA and USSR out of it.
The sun never sets on the British Empire
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2012 at 19:06
Hitler's arrogance was his undoing. He thought Germany was invincible
Michael Mckean View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Michael Mckean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 18:35
Hitlers war was unfolding excellently until the battle of Britain. But yes, he got a little cocky and invaded the Soviet Union - his boyhood dream and ambition.
Regarding the Balkans and North Africa, that was to aid his struggling Italian allies whom were less determined and more poorly equipped than their Aryan counterparts.
Though I personally believe Hitlers mistakes in Africa, Britain and Russia could have been reversed had he not foolishly declared war on the USA following his arrogant friend Japans attack on Pearl harbour.
As for France and the rest of Europe im not sure where he was going with that, Hitler knew Britain and France would declare war if he invaded Poland so obviously he seemed sure he could beat them; which he did. 
Overall, he got a little too big for his own boots, perhaps mishandling affairs and attacking the USSR too early.
The sun never sets on the British Empire
 Post Reply Post Reply