Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anglo-Zulu War of 1879

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
    Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 14:43
Originally posted by Nick1986

The historical officers and men of the 24th were very different from their on-screen portrayals. Pvt Hook's depiction as a rogue deeply offended his daughters. In reality he was a model soldier who didn't drink alcohol
Hook was a 'teatotaller' but at the end of the battle he stands in line (heavily bandaged from a head wound) for the Rum ration --"What are you doing here Hookie?" askes a shocked CSM Bourne
"I could bloody well do with a drink after that Sarge!"
Later Hook returns to his duty as company cook and is in his shirtsleeves making tea when called around the corner by Bourne-- to Hooks horror Chelmsford and his Staff are there and want an account of the battle which he gives but Hook is horrified --"How could you let me stand and report to by General improperly dressed! shirtsleeves-disgraceful!"
cymru am byth
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 17:04
Originally posted by Kevinmeath

The historical officers and men of the 24th were very different from their on-screen portrayals. Pvt Hook's depiction as a rogue deeply offended his daughters. In reality he was a model soldier who didn't drink alcohol
Hook was a 'teetotaller' but at the end of the battle he stands in line (heavily bandaged from a head wound) for the Rum ration --"What are you doing here Hookie?" asks a shocked CSM Bourne
"I could bloody well do with a drink after that Sarge!"
Later Hook returns to his duty as company cook and is in his shirtsleeves making tea when called around the corner by Bourne-- to Hooks horror Chelmsford and his Staff are there and want an account of the battle which he gives but Hook is horrified --"How could you let me stand and report to by General improperly dressed! shirtsleeves-disgraceful!"

A classic response for an infantryman. Hook and his partners that day, like Rodger Young and his, always get the nod.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 19:22
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 19:33

Irregular and volunteer units of the Zulu War
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=udNhFg-rKX8C&lpg=PP1&ots=grX_om5dtH&dq=zulu%20war&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

In his book Mike Snook makes the point that that when listening to Zulu 'Tales' of the battle they talk of the 'Zebras' coming to join the 'Red' in the last stand.

He was of the opinion he was talking about 'Natal Crabineers' who wore 'black' (actually dark navy) and white police uniforms, who you could argue were braver than the redcoats-- they had little or no chance to escape but fought on ---the Police had horses and could have escape but decided not to.
cymru am byth
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 20:44
To those interested was brought up in South Wales so 'Zulu' was great but in  not exactly accurate.

I found Mike Snook and Adrian Grieaves books to be very good
cymru am byth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2012 at 19:18
The native troops were recruited from tribes hostile to the Zulus, including the Basuto, Mponso, and Amanagawne who comprised the cavalry detachment
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12