Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

By Toutatis!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: By Toutatis!
    Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 19:00
The ancient Celts had many gods, including Toutatis, Taranis, Lug, Belonos and Belisama. Who can tell me more about each god's function and personality?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 19:29
My only complaint about the legendary Bullfinch was his dearth of input on the Celtic pantheon.

Basic links include the following:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 19:48
What bullfinch?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2011 at 22:44
My typo error. Bulfinch.

BULFINCH'S MYTHOLOGY

THE AGE OF FABLE

OR STORIES OF GODS AND HEROES

by Thomas Bulfinch

[1855]

S. T. Friedman

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 05:18

one of the interesting gods, Cernunnos. he was god of forest and  countrified areas as greek pan.

Maybe the most famous goddness, Britannia http://www.celtnet.org.uk/gods_b/britannia.html

and in galatia-central turkey, celtic people adopted Cybele religion

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Diviacus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Diviacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 16:48
Originally posted by Nick1986

The ancient Celts had many gods, including Toutatis, Taranis, Lug, Belonos and Belisama. Who can tell me more about each god's function and personality?
Those you mention are really Gods of the ancient Celts.
It's difficult to be precise about their function and personality as the only texts available have been written by Roman authors. Among these Roman authors, only Lucan mentions the name of 3 gods (Toutatis, Esus and Taranis). The others (including Julius Caesar) give Roman names to these gods.

On the contrary, the links indicated by Centrix Vigilis mention Irish gods which are not gods of the ancient Celts and about which we have many texts written by the Christian Irish people. We can establish some links between both lists but this can only done with much interpretation.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2011 at 19:07

I've heard of the Horned God. He is depicted as a man with a deer's tail and antlers leading dances in the French cave of Trois Freres
Diviacus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Diviacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2011 at 00:45

I've heard of the Horned God. He is depicted as a man with a deer's tail and antlers leading dances in the French cave of Trois Freres
The paintings of this cave date back to the Magdalenian priod (14000 years ago), so are not related to ancient Celts gods !Smile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2011 at 19:18
So the painting of the "Sorceror" wasn't the Stone Age precursor of Cernunnos? A lot of Neolithic sites became sacred places in the time of the Druids
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2011 at 23:25
Then we circle the circle because if we are only in reference to ancient celts aside from the Irish and or their for bearers I offered an incorrect example....but as all mainstream includes the aforementioned Irish etc....then it merely becomes a matter of contextual time period.. area and geography.

CV

S. T. Friedman

Diviacus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Diviacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 17:04

So the painting of the "Sorceror" wasn't the Stone Age precursor of Cernunnos? A lot of Neolithic sites became sacred places in the time of the Druids
As far as time is concerned, the "Sorceror" may be qualified as a precursor of Cernunnos.
But a link between the two "figures" is very unlikely, due to the time difference (more than 10 000 years), and to the the fact there are elements of two very different civilization (if we can use this term for the Magdalenian period).
If a link were to be established, it would be less audacious to imagine a link with other similar figures of other IE civilizations (Hittites, ...).
To illustrate what I said before about the very little we know about ancient Celtic gods, one has to remind there is no text about Cernunnos, and that his name is known on only one inscription (Pillar of the Nautes, in Paris).
Diviacus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Diviacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2011 at 17:13
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Then we circle the circle because if we are only in reference to ancient celts aside from the Irish and or their for bearers I offered an incorrect example....but as all mainstream includes the aforementioned Irish etc....then it merely becomes a matter of contextual time period.. area and geography.
I am not sure to understand your post.
We know many names of ancient Celtic gods (about 200 only in Gaul), but no text explaining their function.
We know many names of modern Celtic Gods, and many texts about them.
But it is very difficult to link these two sets of gods, even if some names are the same or similar.
How can we assume that the description or function of Lug (by instance) in the Irish texts is applicable to the Lug god of the ancient Celts ? There is certainly (or probably) a link between both of them. But it is difficult to imagine that the "image" of the god has not changed for about 1000 years, and however we will be never able to prove it ! 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2011 at 19:21

Could Cernunnos be linked to English mythical figures like the Green Man or Herne the Hunter? Both were strongly associated with nature and male virility
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2011 at 19:34
Looks Wiccan.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2011 at 20:27

It's much older than that. Ancient churches, including Scotland's Rosslyn Chapel, often have carvings of the Green Man on their roof-beams. A still-widespread traditional game is to look for the green man (often well-hidden) as a diversion from the long sermons
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2011 at 08:12
Isn't Wicca simply an attempt to transform medieval peasant-superstitions into a religion? When catholic ceremonies were suppressed after the reformation country-folk turned to quacks and created rituals of their own to fulfill the emotional-void
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2011 at 09:03
For some of them that is a more or less the explanation.. but the definition is broader for many other practitioners to include spiritual representations of the Celtic cultures to include the druidic....intermixing of selected representations of the nordic pantheons and others normally associated as paganistic.
They like the aforementioned hold primarily sacred the 'earth mother goddess' and her consort the horned god concepts.

As for my earlier..I am not debating nor denying the existence of Celt and proto-celtic pantheons other then the associated Celtic sub-group to be identified later as the Irish. I am saying that in all such cultural-theological formulations in 'like' ethnic cultural developement portrayals... that there is a certain level of cross identification and assimilation and as such contextual representation in time and geographic locations play a part.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2011 at 20:02

I visited Verulamium Museum today and encountered the Horned God again on this Roman mosaic. He seems to have been incorporated into the Romans' religion and equated with Neptune
 Post Reply Post Reply