Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hitler assassinated!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitler assassinated!
    Posted: 23-Jul-2011 at 11:27

Shortly after his appointment as chancellor, Adolf Hitler is shot dead by a Jewish student. The assassin is beaten to death by Hitler's thugs before he can be interrogated. It is unknown whether he acted alone or was part of an organised group.
Who would replace Hitler? How long would the new government last? Would Germany still become a dictatorship and would there be a war in 1939?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 19:25
I would doubt that history would follow a similar course, leading to a world wide war, etc., but perhaps pogroms towards Jews would have continued for a while. But, most all of his henchmen were even bigger idiots than he. Perhaps he would have been the only one capable of engaging a crowd of people to perform extrodinary acts?

I would doubt though that the war would have started as early as 1939 without him, that is unless one of his supporters would not have parachuted into England for his various reasons. He might well have taken the reins of power, and settled into the rule of the Reich?

Do you know of whom I speak?

Regards,

PS, the weapon shown is called the model "PO-8", by George Luger, but improved before the adoption by Germany! A very expensive pistole to manufacture however! The folding link action, designed to absorb the recoil of the cartrige, is an exacting thing to both manufacture and then fit to a receiver.

Edited by opuslola - 28-Jul-2011 at 19:29
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2011 at 20:39
Rudolf Hess?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2011 at 21:33
I don't think Hess had the required leadership abilities. He was even crazier than Hitler
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 09:07
It probably would have been Himmler who would have attempted to hold things together.  He at least had an org. behind him.  The SS would likely have tried to take over.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 09:09
That Luger was a great looking piece.  Jammed at the drop of a hat and had no stopping power.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 16:00
Originally posted by red clay

It probably would have been Himmler who would have attempted to hold things together.  He at least had an org. behind him.  The SS would likely have tried to take over.

I dont think so. Himmler was not very important person that time. IMHO it would have definatelly be Ernst Julius Röhm. He was the only person who could have been considered as competitor to power in the Nazi party and he had millions of followers.  It was also the reason why did Hitler killed him. He would probably destroy SS and kill Himmler or degrade him to some low rank nazi officer.

Edited by Mosquito - 13-Aug-2011 at 16:03
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2011 at 20:36
Rohm was just a street thug who lacked the intelligence and charisma. I'd have thought Goring would be a more likely successor
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2011 at 21:42
Perhaps the Nazis would break up into different factions, sparking a civil war in Germany. Goring would have the support of the old German military and Rohm would have his Stormtroopers. Himmler's SS might form a third faction either aligning with one group or playing them against each other
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2011 at 09:48
If this happens after the night of the long knife then there's no Rohm, but if it is before hand it might have been a fight between Rohm, Himmler, and Hess. I would say Hess being deputy for a while would have a good chance of taking the leadership, with the chicken farmer, Himmler becoming deputy. Rohm still gets taken out in my opinion.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2011 at 20:29
What if Rohm aligned with the winning faction and eliminated Himmler and his SS? Would there still have been a holocaust, and would the Brownshirts be able to transform from a militia of thugs to an elite military unit?
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 05:37
The 3rd Reich was a 3-tier model by 1939.  Rich industrialists poured money into it since years, to buy Hitler the seat and keep him going.  The Nazis were somewhere in the middle winding up the crowds, which by 1939 had already been wound up to the extend that Hitlers replacement wouldn't have had to worry too much about propaganda. Another thing is that Hitlers economic success relayed on credit, which would have to be paid back by war. That's way the business rich needed war, because it was the sure way to get their money back. However, I don't think that in 1939  things were going in a controlled way. It was more like a runaway. Anyone who seized power could take the crowd to hell and back.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 07:20
You are correct Karalem about the Nazis relying on credit, and they did so to such an extent that they would have been made bankrupt the very day they got into power had they not been successful. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2011 at 21:44
So there would be war regardless of Germany's choice in leader?
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:24
himmler would have replaced hitler
but hitler was able to reach out to the man on the sreet
most germans would follow hitler
he was a very good public speaker,unlike hess or himmler
he also chose a very good propaganda minister
goebels  hess  and himmler  would not have picked him

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:45
I don't think Himmler had the charisma. He was a cowardly little man, unlike the colorful war hero Goring or the skilled propagandist Goebbels
claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 08:59
i agree
also hitler would gamble,early in the war this worked for him
he went against his generals advice and it worked for him
himmler would not have done this , dont think he would have had the early victories
hitler had
Karalem View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Karalem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2011 at 18:11
I wouldn't underestimate Hitler. He was not only a good orator. He was looking with a sound perspective into this mad world he helped to create. People like Himmler, Hess, Goebbels, I am not sure they knew what was going on on the big scale. Goering was scheduled to take over in case of Hitlers death, so he seems more serious. He also was close with  big business where decisions would have been made, had Hitler died prematurely. Hitler gone nuts when the eastern front came to a stop, which is sometime in November when a delegation came back from Russia and told him the war could not be won anymore by military means. Before that he was doing right things.  His replacement could have done better or worse depending what could be called better or worse,

claymore View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote claymore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2011 at 12:52
hitlers trouble in russia was
he always had to attack, never defend.
before kursk his commanders said,we can bleed the red army to death
he would have none of it
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2011 at 19:34
Originally posted by claymore

hitlers trouble in russia was
he always had to attack, never defend.
before kursk his commanders said,we can bleed the red army to death
he would have none of it

Perhaps it was a good thing Hitler wasn't assassinated. His arrogance contributed in no small part to Germany's defeat
 Post Reply Post Reply