Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How did ancients make fire!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did ancients make fire!?!
    Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 09:11
Here is link about tribes today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_fire
after we finish will tell you letter we use,originated from this sign.

Edited by medenaywe - 18-Jun-2011 at 03:49
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 09:43
Med, you dropped the e when you  typed making fire.  I added it, now you can get to the right page.

From the artifacts that I've found here the firebow and flint were the favs here.  In the Colonial era the usual technique was to carry lit embers from a neighbors house. This was done using a metal device with a lid usually used as a bed warmer.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 12:13
Where is flint stone here?Letter "lambda" form somehow shows us position of two sticks?I need your
contribution in this direction.On Bat Creek stone it looks as "lambda" and sounds hard "L"(llllllllll) in my
alphabet.I thought it's form was simplified presentation of fire making process?!?Somehow?Let me start here.It is your turn,all ideas contribute to the solution.Translation has to be:Sparkle.(but in some syllables it
shows me it is also the stone,similar to that,your arrow head was made from).
 Example.  Wing=from sparkle victim(Did it refer to stick or stone)?

Edited by medenaywe - 14-Jun-2011 at 12:16
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by red clay

In the Colonial era the usual technique was to carry lit embers from a neighbors house. This was done using a metal device with a lid usually used as a bed warmer.

The same technique was used in Tamania by the aborigones (sans the metal device).  The super isolated Tasmanian aborigones gradually forgot alot of technology including fire drills, fishing hooks and returning boomerangs.

For fire, the only source they had were lightning sparked natural fires and embers from the neighbors.

Edited by Cryptic - 14-Jun-2011 at 22:01
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 02:06
Agreed. As numerous anthro types would substantiate until flints stones etc.. were idealized, most probably by shear accident.....the remains of natural fires were the primary source.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 10:37
Wait, what about making fire by rotating a wooden stick on a another wooden surface? Or does that take too long?
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 10:57
Short part of "lambda" like sign have to be arms,long part stick?What do you think?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Wait, what about making fire by rotating a wooden stick on a another wooden surface? Or does that take too long?

Been around also a long time..........and unless ya know what ya doing it takes a long time to figure it out because that is a technique that is better then simply rubbing sticks for friction.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 19:14
It would have begun with forest fires: aware that burned carcasses tasted good our ancestors would take a burning branch back to their caves and keep it fed with wood. Making fire would have been a mystery until one of the cavemen saw a tree struck by lightning. This may have inspired him to bang two rocks together to recreate the effect. Through trial and error he would have learned sparks could be made with a flint and a piece of iron.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 08:39
Look at second lambda sign without curves.What do this one remind you on?Suggestions can be about fire
making process!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lambda_uc_lc.svg 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 18:46
Originally posted by Nick1986

Through trial and error he would have learned sparks could be made with a flint and a piece of iron.

Fire making started long before metallurgy.   Most early peoples used friction.  Though I imagine the friction can be generated by hand effort, the more sohpisticated method is a fire bow / drill used with a stick and a board with a depression in it.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 19:05
Iron can be found in its natural state as pyrites or "fool's gold." You can also find iron ore in bogs
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 08:07
Hey guys, Medenawaye is asking about the fire sign Lambda, he's working on a translation or something can anyone help him out any?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 08:11
Used to be a prescribed method for fire, rub a boy scout and a girl scout together.Big smile 
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 11:46
More precise:Back slash draw has to be Stick with flint stone head(ancient spear?) with axis pointed on your shoulder(Upper side).I suppose you are on knees.Down side is spark effective.Head of stick(with flint head?) with your hands you are rubbing with flint stone or metal on earth surface.Have you seen sign,described by me?Small front slash from lambda are your hands. (around rubbing place you have straw).Am I clear?If i am true you are the first that know the meaning of sign "lambda"!Big smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 13:25
Med, your clear enough.Smile Have you looked at the glyphs that are being called "first toungue"?
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2011 at 17:13
This has to be a joke.O.k. Red,you have excavated many ancient habitats till now.Were inside,coal fire holes (pits),quarts stones from SiO2 or nearby those pits?Were there(on stone) traces of erosive acts similar with rubbing it with head of spear?I am deadly serious about it.Nuke
  P.S.Glyphs that remind you about tongue meant tongue.SmileLatter language derived from it.

Edited by medenaywe - 18-Jun-2011 at 03:58
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2011 at 12:21
Med, here is a link I think you will find interesting.  You may have to join the forum but it's worth it.

On first tongue you mis read me.  There is a system of Glyphs that are being called the first language.  These have been identified on 5 continents, including the Americas.  There are elements of these glyphs in Rongo Rongo, the script from Easter Island.
If you google First Tongue, you'll be able to find a translating program.

Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2011 at 12:44
Originally posted by medenaywe

Look at second lambda sign without curves.What do this one remind you on?Suggestions can be about fire
making process!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lambda_uc_lc.svg 

Meden ya know I love the way ya mind works.... but the best I can do here is say it reminds me of how one stacks twigs or small branches up ...usually in circle over a shallow pit....when creating a fire...ya do this to allow ventilation to initially engage the materials.

Smile

S. T. Friedman

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2011 at 15:15
Red,link does not works!CV,nice trial,but small slash have to be hands.I bet on it.(beer?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>