Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Philosophy of Humour?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Philosophy of Humour?
    Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 09:59
Does humour have a basis in philosophy? Does it follow a belief system? Is there a connection between the type of humour a region or a nation has and the way they conduct their politics, or view each other?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 11:00
I said it once,we have invented joke as way of social survival.When do i overfill my brain,protection valves go out?Jokes we need here!?!
  P.S.You can speak free telling what do you mean only joking all around.Mel Brooks  history  against  official
known history.Read the jokes in old newspapers,truth  have been  inside them.Do not trust the rest.Big smile

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Jun-2011 at 11:14
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 12:49
Originally posted by medenaywe

I said it once,we have invented joke as way of social survival.When do i overfill my brain,protection valves go out?Jokes we need here!?!
  P.S.You can speak free telling what do you mean only joking all around.Mel Brooks  history  against  official
known history.Read the jokes in old newspapers,truth  have been  inside them.Do not trust the rest.Big smile

The grin where teeth are show(if you have teeth left) comes before such things as jokes as we know them. Probably from a time when we either warned people, or other creatures, off much in the same way a dog might growl, or more likely in my opinion an expression we would have made when going in for the kill when ready to eat.
Jokes and humour associated with social survival, yes indeed, medenaywe. But what I am asking is, is there a philosophical aspect to the process which develops the psyche, not just of the individual but of regions too. Is our national identity developed and shaped by our humour, or is it the other way round, does our national identity develop our humour? 

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 14-Jun-2011 at 19:28
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 13:01
My dental cart:all inside except left upper forth.Next smile will be LOL:No tooths outside.Ask me another joke
Cheshire's cat,smile is my brand.I know also we use it as hypocrisy brand.Here we say  "lice  pice ",pussy smile will be literary translated.Or pussy face.How much we have this all around us?Why do we offer other me face for people around us?What do we hide for?

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Jun-2011 at 13:02
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 13:58
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Does humour have a basis in philosophy? Does it follow a belief system? Is there a connection between the type of humour a region or a nation has and the way they conduct their politics, or view each other?

Humor isn't a basis in Philosophy, but since humor is a basic in our personality make up, it does come into play.

You can examine the Humor of any era, and pretty much know what the "econo/political and sociologic atmosphere was like.
Good examples of this would be Will Rodgers' Social commentary during the 30's.  Another would be "First Family" Recorded in 1962, It's pretty much a rundown of events etc. that occurred during the first 2 years of the Kennedy Admin.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by red clay

Humor isn't a basis in Philosophy, but since humor is a basic in our personality make up, it does come into play.

That does sound to be a bit of a contradiction. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. I think it would be hard to look at humour without realising how people find situations funny because of their belief that circumstances to them are funny. 

You can examine the Humor of any era, and pretty much know what the "econo/political and sociologic atmosphere was like.
Good examples of this would be Will Rodgers' Social commentary during the 30's.  Another would be "First Family" Recorded in 1962, It's pretty much a rundown of events etc. that occurred during the first 2 years of the Kennedy Admin.

Doesn't that sound like philosophy to you? 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 16:38
Aristotle wrote essay about it.Philosophy of Laugh.I asked you:Did Aristotle find than our brain problem?We
are always laughing to non logical sentences as result of constrained brain logical system.2300 years before
before Godel,Aristotle found it!
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/english/skc/artlaugh.htm
Kant's joke:
Suppose that some one tells the following story: an Indian at an Englishman's table in Surat, saw a bottle of ale opened, and all the beer turned into froth and flowing out. The repeated exclamations of the Indian showed his great astonishment. `Well, what is so wonderful in that?' asked the Englishman. `Oh, I'm not surprised myself,' said the Indian, `at its getting out, but at how you ever managed to get it all in.  

Edited by medenaywe - 13-Jun-2011 at 16:40
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 20:45

Aristotle wrote essay about it.Philosophy of Laugh.I asked you:Did Aristotle find than our brain problem?We
are always laughing to non logical sentences as result of constrained brain logical system.2300 years before
before Godel,Aristotle found it!
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/english/skc/artlaugh.htm
Kant's joke:
Suppose that some one tells the following story: an Indian at an Englishman's table in Surat, saw a bottle of ale opened, and all the beer turned into froth and flowing out. The repeated exclamations of the Indian showed his great astonishment. `Well, what is so wonderful in that?' asked the Englishman. `Oh, I'm not surprised myself,' said the Indian, `at its getting out, but at how you ever managed to get it all in.  

I think the problem with Aristotle is that he was suffering from he who laughs last didn’t get the joke syndrome, otherwise known as not having a sense of humour developed enough to study the subject sufficiently.  Much humour is of the reaction to the unexpected, then there is an extension to this which consists of previous reaction in the past which you reacted too and relive to some extent.  The constrained brain is that of those who do not make the connection of the unexpected which perpetrates the reaction.  Btw, the Kant joke is fantastic, the hilarity in the unexpected.LOL 

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 01:23
Let us define unexpected.(You are entering my area of cognitive human logical system!?!)Unexpected is all
on which our brain have already not prepared answers&solutions&explanations.Stop.It's  your turn(We are
loosing  the point  of it with  long texts.)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 19:22

Let us define unexpected.(You are entering my area of cognitive human logical system!?!)Unexpected is all
on which our brain have already not prepared answers&solutions&explanations.Stop.It's  your turn(We are
loosing  the point  of it with  long texts.)

When my son was small, and said something funny, and gained pleasure from the reaction, he would try to revisit the same sensation by repeating over and over again that which was funny. Eventually he realise however the reaction diminishes as those hearing those things that are funny become accustomed to them. What the brain is doing is processing those things which didn't seemingly follow an expected logical pattern into something they have leaned follows a particular path to a conclusion, and so into another logical pattern to them.  It is only partially true to say when it comes to humour that the unexpected is all on which our brain have already not prepared answers&solutions&explanations. You see the brain must understand what it's seeing/hearing when it's confronted by the unexpected for the connection to be made.

PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2011 at 07:33
I've heard lots of professional commedians claim they learned to be funny when they were kids at school. It was a defence mechanism against being bullied.
I guess the idea is that if you can make people laugh, they are less likely to hit you and may even become fond of you.

I would say that humour is a way of telling the truth about others with less danger attached to your self.....So long as you're funny and gain popularity.  
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2011 at 14:36
Humor seems to be sometimes lacking at this site also!

I like to laugh, even if sometimes I must laugh at myself!

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 05:25
Originally posted by opuslola

Humor seems to be sometimes lacking at this site also!

I like to laugh, even if sometimes I must laugh at myself!

Regards,

I think it is a good thing you can laugh at yourself. Lately I've been doing so so much it reduced me to tears. Though come to think of it I'm not too sure if that had anything to do with laughing after all. Confused
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2011 at 12:56
We seem to be collectively losing our ability to laugh at ourselves.  A former member here, Akolouthos, once commented, "We are leaking humor at an alarming rate."  I've used that as a sig.

None of this is good, as it means we are taking ourselves seriously.

More to the point of this thread, wouldn't Psychology of humor be more relevant?.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 10:01

We seem to be collectively losing our ability to laugh at ourselves.  A former member here, Akolouthos, once commented, "We are leaking humor at an alarming rate."  I've used that as a sig.

None of this is good, as it means we are taking ourselves seriously.
Indeed I have witnessed that myself at times, but remember things starting off as a joke now with great affection. I live in hope that it doesn't totally go away. 

More to the point of this thread, wouldn't Psychology of humor be more relevant?.
I was looking at the subject from the view point of the definition of philosophy, but you're right it would have been possible to have narrowed it down to psychology of humour had I wanted to. Maybe someone else could start a thread on the psychology of humour.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 11:19
Postman never rings twice!Why?What does happens with Your computer after unpredicted string of commands?It restarts.What could happen with you after restart?You fall down demolishing expensive brain knowledge&body structure cause of failures.We call this "non predicted situations in program" and our Creator had implemented laugh till all lamps are not ON again,cause information we carry inside is priority of our livesLOL.Similar with rules we have predicted for our ancestors:

First Law:

A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law:

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law:

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Edited by medenaywe - 29-Jan-2012 at 11:44
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 11:22
Biorobotics was predecessor of all and we are it's last link:(What's next?Who does know it?)
http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/Asimov.html
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 11:31

Postman never rings twice!Why?What does happens with Your computer after unpredicted string of commands?It restarts.What could happen with you after restart?You fall down demolishing expensive brain knowledge&body structure cause of failures.We call this "non predicted situations in program" and our Creator had implemented laugh till all lambs are on again,cause information we carry inside is priority of our livesLOL.Similar with rules we have predicted for our ancestors:

First Law:

A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

Second Law:

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

Third Law:

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

I see, medenaywe, humour and a level of unpredictability until the brain catches up, so knowledge is restored. Those robot laws, I think I've seen them somewhere before. Do you know where they come from, and have they ever been implemented?Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 11:42
"I Robot" from Isac Asimov:(I have read this author and other SF's authors on meter length in my youth)
http://books.google.mk/books/about/I_Robot.html?id=2vnbMzYXBQsC&redir_esc=y
 Movie with Will Smith is also excellent but first read a book!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 29-Jan-2012 at 11:45
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 11:57

"I Robot" from Isac Asimov:(I have read this author and other SF's authors on meter length in my youth)
http://books.google.mk/books/about/I_Robot.html?id=2vnbMzYXBQsC&redir_esc=y
 Movie with Will Smith is also excellent but first read a book!Smile

Oh of course, medenaywe, "I Robot", I watch the film, and predicted what was going to happen all the way through the film to my son. My son looked at me strangely and ask if I had prior knowledge before watching it, which I hadn't. I try not doing that too often as I can understand how that would be annoying for people.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>