Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boer War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boer War
    Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 19:13

In response to Boer attacks on the railways, the British built these blockhouses: fortified stone towers very similar to the type found in Northern England. Besides the stone structures, the British also built many temporary blockhouses from corrugated iron
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Bulldog69 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulldog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 08:44
There are several 'preserved' blockhouses one can visit in South Africa. An especially good one is beside the N1 (main Johannesburg - Cape Town highway) a few hours outside of Cape Town - might even be the one in the photo. It was evidently built to protect the old iron railway bridge which is still visible next to it.
Also in the Cape is an even more interesting fortification. Near Montagu, one will see signs for the 'Old English Fort 1899'. The setting for this is incredible, as it is perched on top of a knife-like ridge of rocks which blocks a valley. There is a tunnel through this obstacle (not sure if it pre-date the fort or not, but I would assume so) and the fort utterly dominates this. It is built of local stone and cement, with rifle loop-holes and an amazing vantage point. It is small - about the size of a single garage, with no roof (though there was probably one back in the day - probably housed a section.

This link contains a photo and map info:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/1537320

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2011 at 19:16
Thanks Bulldog. If there were no other roads that blockhouse would guarantee control of the pass
Bulldog69 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bulldog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 05:29
Unfortunately it suffers from the main draw-back of any fixed fortification: the Boers would quickly have found out about it, and simply avoided it. As they were generally unencumbered with artillery / wagons, they could avoid the beaten track much more easily than the British. Also bear in mind that there were plenty of traitors / sympathisers who would keep the Boers informed as to every move of the British - it is small wonder that the Brits often dealt with such people harshly.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 19:59
By whose definition would they be "traitors"? Many may never have considered themselves British subjects, being of Dutch descent

Edited by Nick1986 - 18-Jan-2012 at 20:00
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 21:33
Ah! Very delicate ground here. But if I can just interject, I see that Bulldog has said 'sympathisers/traitors', so I'm guessing, but it would seem they're the same animal, sympathisers if you were a Boer, and traitors if you were British. Also, apparently it was a point of honour for many Boers to take an oath of alliegence to Queen Victoria to allay suspicions so that they could go on doing exactly what they had been doing. I realise that this is a contentious statement and one which I could not prove; nevertheless it seems to crop up a lot as a general statement and comes under the belief of 'where there's smoke there's fire.' But if it could be proved, those who took part would be traitors, no matter how noble their motives.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 19:36
Originally posted by JAJ

Ah! Very delicate ground here. But if I can just interject, I see that Bulldog has said 'sympathisers/traitors', so I'm guessing, but it would seem they're the same animal, sympathisers if you were a Boer, and traitors if you were British. Also, apparently it was a point of honour for many Boers to take an oath of alliegence to Queen Victoria to allay suspicions so that they could go on doing exactly what they had been doing. I realise that this is a contentious statement and one which I could not prove; nevertheless it seems to crop up a lot as a general statement and comes under the belief of 'where there's smoke there's fire.' But if it could be proved, those who took part would be traitors, no matter how noble their motives.

Good point, especially when taking into account the oath-breaking
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 20:43
At the time of the Boer War, the Boers were mostly farmers with little or no education, with only a spoken language but no written language and with no schools or universities. English speaking and German speaking schools opened in Johannesburg in the early 1900s and 'High Dutch' was taught alongside English in schools until the 1920s when Afrikaans was added. The Boers had strong moral ethics, but many thought that these did not apply if they were dealing with the British or the blacks, both of whom they considered reprehensible races. They considered that the British had coralled them in the centre of the nation, trying to prevent their expansion and many British were patronising and demeaning in their dealings with the Boers. It was said that President Kruger would not allow Cecil Rhodes' name to be uttered in his presence. As a gold mine owner, Cecil Rhodes probably felt much the same about Paul Kruger who pirated the gold mines and expelled an American Jewish Rabbi for giving public expression to his opinion of the persecution of the Jews and the Catholics in the Transvaal. (New York Times May 7th 1900) (The racial discrimination against Jews became especially difficult because most of the gold mine owners were Jewish.)
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 19:19

Despite the lessons of the Indian Mutiny the British insisted on wearing bright white topis, webbing and red coats on campaign and only adopted khaki after the First Boer War of 1880. They'd have been better off wearing a big sign on their chests saying "shoot me"
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 23:39
Hahahahahah. I found your post really funny, Nick. Yes, it seems that the British caution of change realy gets in the way of their progress. And even though the Brits had gone into khaki for the Second Boer War, their modus operandii had not altered since the Crimea. Hence the shudderingly awful start start to the Boer War when men were marched shoulder to shoulder to their deaths, against an elusive and fleet-footed Boer army who were creating the blueprint of modern warfare. It took the close cooperation and friendship of Winston Churchill and King Edward VII to start the modernising of the War Office.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 19:16
Even during WWI British soldiers marched shoulder to shoulder towards the waiting German machine guns. They couldn't run as they were weighed down by equipment and were forbidden from taking cover as the officers believed it was cowardly
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 02:20
Sorry, have no knowledge of WWI - apart from the throwing of horrendous numbers against the Germans without winning any ground. However, despite this, much needed reforms had started in the War Office. In Queen Victoria's day, her cousin Prince George, Duke of Cambridge, was an arch conservative and die-hard, who opposed any reform on principle. British officers, so far as he was concerned, were gentlemen and sportsmen, but entirely wanting in military knowledge; something he deemed unnecessary. Their drubbing at the hands of the Boers was not considered too serious as the Boers were considered a backward rabble. It took the mighty disciplined German army to convince them they had a problem, that their army was minute and led by incompotents, and that their navy was not going to be the be-all and end-all of defence. Until 1900 the British navy could take on any two navies in the world simultaneously. When the Kaiser targetted huge increases in the German navy, and with an already enormous mighty and efficient army led by Prussian army officers (now that was terrifying) the British knew that time was of the essence. The Kaiser hid his machinations so clevery behind his Secret Service allocation of two hundred and fifty thousand pounds a year, but he meant business.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2012 at 19:29
The Kaiser was also involved in the Boer War: he provided the farmers with Mauser rifles, doubtlessly to test them in the field
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2012 at 20:41

As this photo demonstrates, some of the Boers' soldiers were very young. One of the British generals was shot dead by a 12 year old boy
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 17:44
Regarding the Mausers, I'd think that with usual German precision, they would have been well tested prior to sending them to the Boers in South Africa. The Boers were expert marksmen and using the then high tech Mausers with a far greater range than the Lee Metfords, and above all with the smokeless cartridge, the poor Brits (literally) didn't know what hit them. There was a lot of talk about the 'invisible' enemy.
As for the youngsters fighting in the Boer army; it must have broken their mothers' hearts to let them go. Just look at the terrible strain and lack of sleep showing in the eyes of the young 15 year old above. One shudders to think what he has been through already. But there you are, whoever wins a war, the women are always the losers.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 19:16
Did the boys volunteer or were they conscripted? From my understanding, the Boer commandos were a sort of citizens' army where everyone had to take part
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 22:07
The commandoes were informal groups, supposedly from age 16, but many much younger joined, as they rode off in informal groups composed of family and neighbours. I suppose it must have seemed like a great adventure to youngsters, most of whom were already highly skilled shots. At the start of the war in Natal a number of women joined in, informally called the 'Amazons' and no doubt excellent shots. But after General Joubert died and General Botha took command, he forbad women at the front. He was a man among men. It's interesting; he used to interview people in his tent while lying on the ground. Since he spent some of his youth in Natal, I suspect this could have come from the Zulus, who were often misunderstood by whites for remaining lower than the person they considered of more importance, signifying humility.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2012 at 21:19
That's interesting Jaj. What other aspects of indigenous culture did the Boers adopt?
JAJ View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote JAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 23:12
I don't even know if Louis Botha was influenced by the Zulu culture which incorporated courteousness and humility, I'm just saying it's an interesting possibility. I'd think it highly unlikely that the Boers per se would adopt anything from black culture; just the opposite - they considered them unworthy beings, this being taught directly from their particular bible interpretation, with blacks 'the sons of Ham'. Louis Botha was different; he was moderate in his beliefs; he was married to an English speaking woman of Irish descent, who sounded as wise as her husband, that is from the little reading material that is available about her. He was well loved and popular and a brilliant general; a worthy first Prime Minister, but unfortunately unable to control the rising right wing.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2012 at 19:05
Some more info on the Boer Commandos. After the ANC abolished them, the crime rate shot up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>