Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zoroastrianism connection to India/Nepal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoroastrianism connection to India/Nepal
    Posted: 27-May-2011 at 19:42

2011-02-26 14:00:00    

Kathmandu, Feb 26 (IANS) In 2004, two years after he climbed Mt Everest for the seventh time, American mountaineering legend Peter Athans took part in a charitable cataract operation project in northern Nepal that changed the lives of nearly 300 beneficiaries.

Today, the event has led to a stupendous discovery that, once fully understood, could throw light on one of the oldest religions in the world, its link with India and the connection between Tibetan and Zoroastrian death rites.

'I made a lot of friends during the eye camp,' says Athans, better known worldwide as 'Mr Everest' for his ascents as well as efforts to rescue endangered climbers during the black year of 1996, when 15 people died while attempting the world's highest peak.

'Some of them took me to a cluster of (man-made) caves that remain hidden from the human eye due to the height and the difficulty to get inside... There was no knowledge of who created the caves and I thought this was an intriguing mystery, worthy of further research and discussion,' Athans said.

In 2008, the government of Nepal and the Department of Archaeology signed an agreement with Sky Door Foundation, an NGO started in Nepal by Athans, to explore the caves and make an inventory. Two years later, the exploring team came across major finds in the network of caves in Mustang, a remote mountainous district in northernmost Nepal that was once part of an ancient Tibetan kingdom.

The expedition has found caves designed at different levels, much like an apartment block, with the lower levels usually used as granaries and the uppermost being burial sites.

In between, the space contains murals that though now fading and crumbling down are still exquisite, two immense libraries containing almost 10,000 ancient manuscripts in old Tibetan script, some of which are beautifully illuminated, and the remains of 27 people, the oldest of whom dates back to 100 years before the birth of Christ.

The manuscripts, which are being translated, are mostly about the Bon religion, one of the oldest religions in the world that grew in Tibet pre-dating Buddhism and yet showed many similarities with it, especially about the life of its founder Tonpa Shenrab.

Like the Buddha, Shenrab too came from a royal family but renounced the royal life and worldly pleasures when he was 31 to seek enlightenment. The folios also carry illustrations of many Bon leaders whom researchers are struggling to identify due to the paucity of information about the religion.

The cave artefacts show a fusion of Tibetan and Indian religious art. Some of it shows the influence of the art that prevailed in India during the Gupta empire of Hindu kings who ruled from 320-480 AD.

'Some of the murals have images of men and women who were Indian mahasiddhas (yogis with supernatural power),' says Leisl, Athans' wife, who records the expeditions through documentaries. 'Each image has a quatrain as caption, the first line giving the name of the mahasiddha, followed by biographical details.'

The human remains, many of which DNA analysis indicated belonged to people from northwest India, could prove a link between Zoroastrianism, born in Iran before the 6th century BC, and the ancient Tibetan practice of sky burials that still exists in Nepal and China.

'While the earlier skeletal remains are unmarked, the 5th century remains show cut marks,' says archaeologist Mark Aldenderfer.

'Nearly 67 percent of the bodies were de-fleshed, after which the bones were deposited inside the cave tombs. This mortuary practice could be a link between the Zoroastrian way of disposing of a dead body by offering it to the vultures in the Towers of Silence and the more stark way in the Tibetan plateau, where the bodies are chopped up and then left for the vultures and other animals,' he said.

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 19:49
Interesting, we should remember that both Buddha and Zoroaster never claimed to be messengers or deities but merely philosophers. I guess we have to wait for the uncovering of the contents of these ancient manuscripts.
Timidi mater non flet
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 19:52
 not sure if its true, but Zoroastrianism started in what is afghanistan today, so it is possible that the connection with india is real, also dont forget that buddhism started in india and flourished in afghanistan, i think around the same period

Edited by balochii - 27-May-2011 at 19:52
MediaWarLord View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:02
Originally posted by balochii

The human remains, many of which DNA analysis indicated belonged to people from northwest India, could prove a link between Zoroastrianism, born in Iran before the 6th century BC, and the ancient Tibetan practice of sky burials that still exists in Nepal and China.

http://www.sify.com/news/everest-hero-finds-incredible-religious-treasure-trove-in-nepal-news-international-lc0oagbgjii.html
You mean Iranian occupied Kurdistan!

Originally posted by balochii

not sure if its true, but Zoroastrianism started in what is afghanistan today, so it is possible that the connection with india is real, also dont forget that buddhism started in india and flourished in afghanistan, i think around the same period
Zoroaster or Zerdest (Kurdish name) was born in Eastern Kurdistan nearby the lake Urmia.

Medieval Iranian literature (catalogued by A. W. Jackson in Persia Past and Present and Zoroaster, the Prophet of Ancient Iran), strongly links the region around Lake Urmia (or Urmiya) in the northwest of present-day Iran with Zoroastrianism - so much so, that they make Urmia the birthplace of Zoroastrianism. They also make Zoroastrianism a Persian religion. ...

Btw. Persians are a buch of thieves that try and tried to steal Kurdish history! They do to Kurds the same what the Romans did to the Greeks.

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 21:06
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:05
This Lake Urumiya is situated in the western part of Iran, or bordering Turkey. It was the reputed birth place of Zoroaster

P. Sykes, op. cit., vol. 1, p. 23,

Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:08
Ancient temple of the Kurdish goddess of water Anahita in Kurdistan!

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 21:08
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:10
Largest and oldest Zoroastrian fire Temple of Kurdistan.

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 21:10
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:16
The newly discovered Zoroastrian Temple near Jar Ston Cave near Duhok, Southern (Iraqi) Kurdistan.

- "The temple was dedicated to the deity Anahita, indicated by the discovery of Anahita’s holy star, and evidence of fires, as well as fireplaces and Zoroastrian holy sand stores have been found nearby."

- "This new discovery will alter the history of the region due to its unique architectural style, which differs considerably from Zoroastrian temples previously discovered», explained the Director of Antiquities."

- "The temple’s style which looks toward the four-directions is a unique style ever discovered in the area; thus it becomes an entry to studying Zoroastrian arts and archaeology."

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 21:23
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 21:30

Most amazing historical site for Kurds and Zoroastrians is over 3500 years old. I just wanted to share some highlights on this site with you, hoping to spark your interest on this subject. It is a place neglected and often over looked. It has just recently, in 2003, been recognized by UN as a world heritage site.
This site is the birthplace of Zoroaster (the profit of the first monotheistic religion) dating back before Judaism. For ancient Zoroastrians this site was religiously valued as Mecca today is for the Muslims.
The Germans took interest in this site after World War I, as they were searching for their Aryan ancestry. It is at this site where they took the logo and flag of ancient Aryans and adopted it to the Germany Nazi flag, latter known as the swastika.

etc.

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 21:34
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 22:43
^ i dont know where are you getting this information from ( from kurd nationalistic) sites but every other site i have been to say that Zoroster was born some where in north eastern iran or afghanistan, also read the last part in following article,  Zoroastrianism spread to western Iran and Kurdistan area much later 

I trust BBC more

Edited by balochii - 27-May-2011 at 22:46
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 23:14
from encyclopedia.com :

"Zoroaster is believed to have been born in NW Persia."

Sure. You're free to believe in whatever you want. The birthplace of Zoroaster is disputed. Nobody really knows where he was born. I read some books where was written that Zoroaster was from Bactria, but I also read many book where it was written that Zoroaster was from Kurdistan and then went to Bactria!

Zoroastrianism: Jewish Viewpoint Information

The native country of the prophet is now believed to have been Media, in western Iran, and there are reasons for claiming that his birthplace was in the province of Atropatene, the modern Azerbaijan; but much of his ministry, or rather most of his prophetic career, was passed in eastern Iran, especially in the region of Bactria, where he won a powerful patron for his religion.

Kaufmann Kohler, A. V. W. Jackson
Jewish Encyclopedia, published between 1901-1906

A well known and respected German archaeologist and Iranologist, Ernst Herzfeld, wrote in his book "Zoroaster and his world" that Zoroaster was related to the house of the Median kings and that he was born in Kurdistan!

Ernst Herzfeld

Even accroding the ancient scholars and philosophers like Pliny the Elder - a Roman philosopher (23 AD - ugust 25, 79 AD) - Zoroaster was born in Kurdistan.

Also according the Medieval Iranian scholars and historians like Shahrastani (1100 CE) and at-Tabari (875 CE), and in arab sources such as ibn-Hurdadhbah (816 CE) and Yaqut (122 CE) Zoroaster was from Kurdistan!

Edited by MediaWarLord - 27-May-2011 at 23:32
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 03:04
The very old book about Zoroastrianism that I got from the U of O library, made mention of a possible Zoroastrianism and  Indian connection.  If my memory serves me well, there were reasons to believe there is a connection before this latest find, but unfortunately my memory isn't good enough to remember details.  At the time the book was written, there was enough evidence to be sure of the connection, but a strong hunch.  

Didn't Zoroaster predate Persia?  If I remember correctly he convinced Cyrus to follow the religion and Persia didn't exist until Cyrus made it exist.  These folks were new to the area. 

Edited by Athena - 28-May-2011 at 03:09
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 09:56
Originally posted by Athena

The very old book about Zoroastrianism that I got from the U of O library, made mention of a possible Zoroastrianism and  Indian connection.  If my memory serves me well, there were reasons to believe there is a connection before this latest find, but unfortunately my memory isn't good enough to remember details.  At the time the book was written, there was enough evidence to be sure of the connection, but a strong hunch.  

Didn't Zoroaster predate Persia?  If I remember correctly he convinced Cyrus to follow the religion and Persia didn't exist until Cyrus made it exist.  These folks were new to the area. 
Yes, the Median Empire predates Persia. I'm an Yezidi Kurd. According the Yezidi Kurdish legends, Zerdest was an Yezidi Kurd who came in conflict with the Yezidi priests and fled to the east. The Yezidi Kurds see him as an apostate figure.  But much later Zoroastrianism became a national religion of the Medes. Then the Persians came and made the Zoroastrianism their national religion, but only after the Medes (Kurdish ancestors)!

Of every great Kurd in the past other people make their own. I think it's a little bit sad. Zerdest was a Kurd and they try to make him somebody else. Saladin was a Kurd and people try to make him somebody else. What's next? What will happen over 500 years? Will people make Barzani a stranger to Kurdish race too? ...

Edited by MediaWarLord - 28-May-2011 at 15:30
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 10:01
Originally posted by Athena

The very old book about Zoroastrianism that I got from the U of O library, made mention of a possible Zoroastrianism and  Indian connection.
Of course, the Zoroastrianism also influenced the 'modern' Hinduism (in 1500 BCE ??) and Buddhism (500 BCE)!

Edited by MediaWarLord - 28-May-2011 at 15:39
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 10:51
I would think it's the opposite, because Zoroastrianism is said to have influenced Judaism. I mean, Buddhism is devoid of deities whilst Zoroastians believe in Ahura Mazda. In what way do you see this influence? I think to make the connection we must first lay down the dogmatic and philosophical connections between these two religions and hopefully as we uncover more about the Bon religion we might see a clearer picture.

As far as I know all we have come up with now is the resemblance between the treatment of the deceased by defleshing one way or the other. Both Buddhism and Zoroastrianism focus on the importance of virtue but the former do so to seek enlightenment and wisdom whilst the latter see that there is a continuous struggle between good and evil which can have its effects on this world.

I urge you MediaWarLord to drop the subject about Zoradesht being Kurdish because the Median empire stretched over all of Iran and trying to pin Zoroaster's nationality to a precise location is like to runnign after quicksilver!
Timidi mater non flet
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 11:23
Zerdest has been born centuries (maybe even millennia) before Buddha. So Zoroastrianism is much older than the Buddhism (or Hinduism)!

Zoroastrianism don't have heaven or hell. And they believe in the reincarnation and then finally joining the eternity of the Universal Spirit.

The similarities of Zoroastrianism and Buddhism are too many to mention. Clearly the older Zoroastrianism was main source of Buddhism, and Bactria (present Afghanistan) obviously was the middle of that source. Both Zoroastrianism and Buddhism are 'recipees' for living as human herd in harmony with the rest of nature. The dualism that Catholicism saw in Zoroastrianism was a projection of own severe dual world viewMazda and Buddha are not gods but concepts to make sense of the world

Btw, what can I do that the roots of the Zoroastrianism are from Kurdistan? Most Kurds nowadays are Muslim, but before Islam Kurds were Yezidis and Zoroastrians. According the Yezidis, the Yezidism is older than the Zoroastrism. They're still Yezidis left in Kurdistan. I'm an Yezidi Kurd, so I'm (and my people) a living prove. Big smile

Edited by MediaWarLord - 28-May-2011 at 18:57
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 11:30
You are actually wrong on two accounts. First of all Zoroastrianism was founded in the 6th century, so it is a contempory of Buddhism and secondly, Zoroastrianism incorporates velief in Heaven and Hell.

http://www.religionfacts.com/zoroastrianism/index.htm
Timidi mater non flet
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 11:47
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

You are actually wrong on two accounts. First of all Zoroastrianism was founded in the 6th century, so it is a contempory of Buddhism and secondly, Zoroastrianism incorporates velief in Heaven and Hell.

http://www.religionfacts.com/zoroastrianism/index.htm
Yeah, you're right about heaven and hell. I didn't know that. I thought that Buddha was born around 563 BC and I do really think that Zerdest lived much earlier than Buddha.

There are many views on the timeline for Zoroaster's life. Greek sources placed him as early as 6000 BC. The traditional Zoroastrian date for Zarathushtra's birth and ministry is around 600 B.C. This is derived from a Greek source that places him "300 years before Alexander" which would give that date; other rationales for the 600 BC date identify the King Vishtaspa of Zarathushtra's Gathas with the father of the Persian King Darius, who lived around that time. According to the Zend Avesta, the sacred book of Zoroastrianism, Zoroaster was born in Azerbaijan, in northern Persia.

As the linguists of both Europe and India worked with the language of the Gathas attributed to Zarathushtra it became clear that they were far older than the language spoken in Iran at the time of King Darius' father. Gathic Avestan was very close to the Sanskrit of the Indian Rig-Vedas, which can be dated from the period 1500-1200 BC. This would mean that Zarathushtra lived far earlier than the "traditional" date. Some scholars have said that the 600 BC date is still plausible if Gathic Avestan was actually an artificially preserved sacred language, somewhat like Latin, which continued in literature and rituals thousands of years after it had ceased to be spoken

Edited by MediaWarLord - 28-May-2011 at 12:00
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 12:05
'Zoroastrianism is known by religious historians as the first religion to have a concept of heaven and hell. Do you see the obvious connection now? The Bible originally didn't have such a concept until the Jews met with followers of Zoroastrianism, which did have that concept.'

Wow didn't know that!!! Is it true that the very first ancient Jews didn't believe in heaven or hell? 

Edited by MediaWarLord - 28-May-2011 at 12:15
Consul
Consul

Quote MediaWarLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 12:39
Oh, look what I have found! The 'modern' concept of heaven or hell in the Zoroastrianism  only developed during the Achaemenid era. The older forms of the Zoroastrianism didn't have that concept!  Also, I read something about the reunion of urvans (souls) with their fravashi. That's why I thought that the Zoroastrianism believed in the reincarnation.

Achaemenid era (648–330 BCE) Zoroastrianism developed the abstract concepts of heaven and hell, as well as personal and final judgment, all of which are only alluded to in the Gathas.  

In addition, and strongly influenced by Babylonian and Akkadian practices, the Achaemenids popularized shrines and temples, hitherto alien forms of worship. In the wake of Achaemenid expansion, shrines were constructed throughout the empire and particularly influenced the role of Mithra, Aredvi Sura Anahita, Verethregna and Tishtrya, all of which, in addition to their original (proto-)Indo-Iranian functions, now also received Perso-Babylonian functions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>