Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eastern weapons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eastern weapons
    Posted: 13-Jun-2011 at 20:42
Good post Baal
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 16:44
The jezail was a type of musket used in central and southern Asia. Famously used by the Afghans to drive out the British during the Anglo-Afghan wars. Often they were made from the spare parts of British guns. They were highly valued and usually beautifully decorated.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2011 at 19:04
The jezail is a beautiful gun. These outclassed the Brown Bess and some had similar range to the latest rifles. During the Afghan War rebels would snipe at the British from hillsides or abandoned forts, safely out of range of the inaccurate muskets
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 19:52
Was the Jezail's curved butt designed so it could be fired when riding?

Edited by Nick1986 - 15-Jun-2011 at 19:53
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2011 at 20:21

http://pashtuncultureandhistory.blogspot.com/2010/07/jezail-was-reverse-engineered-musket-or.html

According to the link (got some great pictures too), "The added length of the jezail also made reloading easier from horseback, as the butt stock would rest upon the ground while the muzzle would be at eye level. The jezail was fired using a horn or metal bi-pod, and it has been speculated that the highly curved stock was tucked under the arm and cradled tightly against the body, as opposed to being held to the shoulder like a standard musket or rifle. The argument against this method of firing is that the flash pan would be dangerously close to the face and the weapon would be harder to aim. It is more likely that the rifle was only tucked under the arm of the rider whilst riding horse or camel."

"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2011 at 19:14
How did they get it to outrange the British guns it was built from? The jezail used the same lock and barrel as the Enfield and Brown Bess but outranged them by as much as 300 yards
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2011 at 20:38
Perhaps the Afghans used different gunpowder and bullets to the British? I'd like the opinion of an expert to determine whether the amount of gunpowder in a single charge and a smaller bullet increase or reduce the range
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2011 at 21:14
Originally posted by Nick1986

Perhaps the Afghans used different gunpowder and bullets to the British?
That is a good possibility.  Modern "match grade" ammunition is more costly and when used by the military, it is usually given only to ultra elite units, snipers and shooting teams.  The cartridges, powder, bullet are manufactured to higher tolerances giving better and equally important to a skilled shooter, very consistant ballistic performance.

Anyways...

The each Afghan owned his own weapon and provided his own ammunition.   Some Afghans may of had a source of hand crafted ammunition where the weight of the bullet and the powder behind it were consistant and made to a high quality.  Meanwile, the British soldiers could have been using ammunition from a variety of bidders and different quality standards.  

Edited by Cryptic - 02-Jul-2011 at 21:25
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 20:32

£2000 of British education falls to a 10 rupee jezail
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2011 at 21:01

I'll have to upload a picture of my Indo-Persian axe (similar in shape to the one above). Mine has a blade with Arabic letters, a sharp spike which seems to have been used to impale something, and a pattern welded haft decorated with foliage.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2011 at 20:18

My Turkish dagger. Similar weapons were used as sidearms by the Cossacks
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 13:29

The jambiya originated in Arabia and spread throughout Africa and Asia. These can be found as far south as Sudan, as far east as India and as far north as the Caucasus. The best daggers are made from a rhinoceros horn and decorated with precious stones and silver to demonstrate the individual's wealth
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2011 at 15:34
To all posters, I have been on a vacation of sorts, so this is my first chance back to condratulate all of you for the class of your postings!

Good Show, what!

Edited by opuslola - 18-Jul-2011 at 15:35
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2011 at 00:38
Wow, your collection is sharp (literally, as well as figuratively)Wink.  How did you get interested in collecting weapons?  Usually, weapons are not my area of interest, though I do admire the craftsmanship in some of them. Have you seen this site?  It is a forum dedicated to collectig ethnographic weapons.  http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Jul-2011 at 00:38
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2011 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cryptic

Wow, your collection is sharp (literally, as well as figuratively)Wink.  How did you get interested in collecting weapons?  Usually, weapons are not my area of interest, though I do admire the craftsmanship in some of them. Have you seen this site?  It is a forum dedicated to collectig ethnographic weapons.  http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I have been interested in weapons since childhood. It may have been because my grandparents gave me a pistol-shaped cigarette lighter, or because my dad brought me up on Westerns. My first real weapon was an Enfield bayonet from the Crimean War i bought shortly before i started re-enacting. My collection currently comprises a musket, a revolver, a replica deringer, two pistol lighters, two swords, three bayonets, one axe, 4 daggers and a lot of pocket knives
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2011 at 19:58

Let's go even further east. The balisong or butterfly knife is a traditional weapon in the Philippines resembling a closed fan. It can be easily concealed and quickly opened with one hand. I saw one at a car boot sale shortly before they were banned and deeply regret not buying it
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2011 at 17:20

Perhaps Ollios can tell us more about this Turkish sword: the Yataghan?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2011 at 07:11
Originally posted by Nick1986

The jambiya originated in Arabia and spread throughout Africa and Asia. These can be found as far south as Sudan, as far east as India and as far north as the Caucasus. The best daggers are made from a rhinoceros horn and decorated with precious stones and silver to demonstrate the individual's wealth

Good one, they still wear those in Yemen. Actually, there is not one man who doesn't carry a dagger to his left side over there. Sort of an Arab version of Texas, hehe :)
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2011 at 19:23
It's been a while since anyone has posted here. Where have all our Asian weapon experts gone?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2011 at 20:08

The Burmese dha was, together with the kukri, a popular private-purchase for British and Australian troops in the Pacific. It had a long blade and double-handed grip and may have been copied from the Chinese dao sword or Japanese katana
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>