Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A heads Up On Something That's Happening,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A heads Up On Something That's Happening,
    Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:14
There are organised advertising outfits out there trying to buy up sites on which to place ads.  Don't confuse this with Google, it's not the same thing.  They aren't nice folks and they could give a damn about the people who are involved with the site.  I believe this is what happened over at Historum.
As the story goes, if they can't buy the site outright, what they do is get an admin to agree to allow them to place ads on his/her site.  Once that happens they inform them that their techs. have to get into the data base to install whatever.  Once in, they give themselves Admin powers.  Once that's done it's all over.  They can gain control and ban anyone who objects.  Sound familiar CV?

Just so everyone's aware, we have been targeted.  I've recieved contact from 2 outfits.  The first letter from them they were "eager and excited".  They couldn't wait, they had a "top paying client", who wanted to be exposed to our clientel.  Follows is part of my reply-

I would be interested in finding out more.  I will state, just to make things clear, AE is not for sale, nor is it open to what's happened at Historum.com.  I say this as I am looking into creating a foundation to insure AE continues.  And also because of your use of the word "partnership".  I've been around the block too many times to not get nervous when I see or hear that word. 

This was the reply-

Thank you for replying to my email. We are very interested in working with you to place ads on your website. Unfortunately the client we had in mind to partner with you has run out of budget.

However we may be able to find another interested client. Specifically we would like to buy text link ads on your site for a flat monthly or yearly rate.

Please let me know if you would be interested in selling this type of advertisement. If so we can begin to look through our stable of clients to find a potential match.

All of a sudden, the client is gone and so is the interest.  Funny thing about that.Confused

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 12:53
Call those people and talk about further steps according the law inside your country!
http://www.cybercrime.gov/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 16:20
Sounds like what happened to historum: the new admins made all these promises to Pericles and offered to sort out his money problems if he sold them the forum. I had my suspicions but foolishly cooperated with the new admins (as any normal moderator would) and even agreed to enforce their rules until it was too late. By the time i saw them for what they were they first removed me from the moderating team, attacked my reputation (digging up dirt from my past and comparing me to a troll called Macedon who had been banned for his extreme nationalism) then banned me (without trial, warning or even consultation of the other moderators) when i tried to warn the other members.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 16:57
Yep good update on what can potentially destroy in detail a blog or chat site. No better example then the Old Simaqian Studio History forum.

To all members... be ever vigilant and report spamm and what might be infiltration efforts by these types as described by Red Clay.

You as members are the first line of defence.

Thanks
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:22
 Give it two or three years and I reckon this site will be more popular than Historum (call it instinct).
When that happens, you guys will be targeted big time. So I'm hoping you will hold out....Otherwise, I'll be looking for somewhere else to hang out.  Cry 

This sort of thing has happened to me on other sites and it sucks to watch a forum grow into a thriving community and then see it ruined by these gits...Angry
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:28
Man, that sounds like a complete bummer.  I like the way this forum is run, and would not take kindly to someone stepping in a messing it up.    I does appear as though the people who made the original offer may not be ethical people, and only a fool would partner with someone who is not ethical.  
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 17:59
These scumbags are very persuasive. They even managed to deceive Pericles into surrendering Historum.
Michael Collins View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Michael Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2011 at 18:54
hmmmmmmmmmmmm .... quite so.
Is í labhairt a dteanga an moladh is mó is féidir linn a thabhairt dár namhaid.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 10:16
Originally posted by Michael Collins

hmmmmmmmmmmmm .... quite so.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Clap LOL
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 10:17
we are on the air again people!Empire strikes back!

Edited by medenaywe - 16-May-2011 at 10:24
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 10:19
The force is with us !
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by PADDYBOY

Give it two or three years and I reckon this site will be more popular than Historum (call it instinct).
When that happens, you guys will be targeted big time. So I'm hoping you will hold out....Otherwise, I'll be looking for somewhere else to hang out.  Cry 

This sort of thing has happened to me on other sites and it sucks to watch a forum grow into a thriving community and then see it ruined by these gits...Angry

This forum at its height outstripped Historum, the question is whether it can rise again. With the number of quality original and recent Historum members coming here some of whom as you well know were responsible for building Historum, further encouraging more of their old friends to join, there's a real chance what you say will happen.

Myself I have no gripe about what's happened at Historum or what it has recently become. It's a free forum, never look a gift horse in the mouth and if you don't like it the burden is on you to make something better, not to whinge. I think the owners of forum can do whatever they please with it, sometimes I see forum owners make dumb decisions, there choice, sometimes economic based decisions and sometimes very profound ones. It's up to them, as my opinion of them is up to me. As for the moderation policy, I'm oblivious to it, never read a rule on any forum I ever joined, never will and will post the same as ever till hell freezes over. If people like the way I post, so what, if they don't so what too. Just as with how the owners run the forum, it's none of my business, the burden of action fall upon the staff to do something about it if they don't like it, not me, as what goes through my brain is none of their business, if they don't like it its their problen, their burden to act, I'm not listening, I'm not interested in what they have to say. If I pm'd them and dictated to them how to run a their forum, they'd rightfully ignore it and delete it. If they pm me and tell me how to think, I'll rightfully do the same.

Myself my main gripe about Historum nowadays is not ownership, moderation but membership, you bother to take the time to make a well researched post and 47 people reply within 4 mins making assinine comments not having even bothered to even read the OP. Why did I bother? It's become more like a social board than a history one. There's an intelligent post about Seppuku describing the nature and historical context of this ceremony. A load of people replied, swamping it with one sentence ignorance of  I'm against suicide it's morally wrong. What braindead morons. Do they even know what history is? I see these type of members increasing by the day and historians leaving.

Edited by Toltec - 16-May-2011 at 14:22
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 13:43
Neither Cyrus or I would buy into that bull.  And if someone tried a clandestine take over of the forum, Cyrus has created some significant defense measures, other than my little buddies, the Flesh Eating Nanobots, that is.Evil Smile 

The main reason for posting this was to alert anyone else associated with a site.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 14:28
Originally posted by Toltec

This forum at its height outstripped Historum, the question is whether it can rise again. With the number of quality original and recent Historum members coming here some of whom as you well know were responsible for building Historum, further encouraging more of their old friends to join, there's a real chance what you say will happen.

Myself I have no gripe about what's happened at Historum or what it has recently become. It's a free forum, never look a gift horse in the mouth and if you don't like it the burden is on you to make something better, not to whinge. I think the owners of forum can do whatever they please with it, sometimes I see owners make dumb decisions, there choice, sometimes economic based decisions and sometimes very profound ones. It's up to them, as my opinion of them is up to me. As for the moderation policy, I'm oblivious to it, never read a rule on any forum I ever joined, never will and will post the same as ever till hell freezes over. If people like the way I post, so what, if they don't so what too. Just as how the owner run the forum it's none of my business,  the burden of action fall upon the staff to do something about it not me as what goes through my brain is none of their business, if they don't like it their problen, their burden to act, I'm not listening, I'm a posting constant.

Myself my main gripe about Historum nowadays is not ownership, moderation but membership, you bother to take the time to make a well researched post and 47 people reply within 4 mins making assinine comments not having even bothered to even read the OP. Why did I bother? It's become more like a social board than a history one. There's an intelligent post about Seppuku describing the nature and historical context of this ceremony. A load of people replied, swamping it with one sentence ignorance of  I'm against suicide it's morally wrong. What braindead morons. Do they even know what history is? I see these type of members increasing by the day and historians leaving.
[/QUOTE]

Righty ho, then
Just for clarity, I would like to point out that my main gripe with any forum when it gets heavily populated, is the way they tend to close, remove threads whenever a troublesome troll enters the discussion. My view has always been that the troll should be removed or punished or whatever ?
The problem with closing or moving threads is that it encourages trolls rather than deterring them.
If someone dosen't like a topic, for whatever reason. They cause a bit of bother and a mod closes the thread.....Troll wins.

That's why I came up with the idea of the time out room.

As for the new admin at Historum. I wasn't a moderator when they arrived, so I can't really comment on how good or bad they are...

I was referring to other boards I used to participate in, but no longer do because they got so large they became de-personalized...  

I had to nip out there.....Anyways, I was also a member of this board, long ago. I used a different user name at the time and I was also a member of a fledgling Historum.
I am of the opinion that larger boards tend to destroy themselves for the very reasons you have given and that is why I believe that this forum will rise again.

I hope that clears things.

Edited by PADDYBOY - 16-May-2011 at 15:02
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 15:56

Righty ho, then
Just for clarity, I would like to point out that my main gripe with any forum when it gets heavily populated, is the way they tend to close, remove threads whenever a troublesome troll enters the discussion. My view has always been that the troll should be removed or punished or whatever ?
The problem with closing or moving threads is that it encourages trolls rather than deterring them.
If someone dosen't like a topic, for whatever reason. They cause a bit of bother and a mod closes the thread.....Troll wins.

As for the new admin at Historum. I wasn't a moderator when they arrived, so I can't really comment on how good or bad they are...

I was referring to other boards I used to participate in, but no longer do because they got so large they became de-personalized...  

I had to nip out there.....Anyways, I was also a member of this board, long ago. I used a different user name at the time and I was also a member of a fledgling Historum.
I am of the opinion that larger boards tend to destroy themselves for the very reasons you have given and that is why I believe that this forum will rise again.

Hey, that thread I was on at the other place when I had my temporary exclusion was closed down two days before I was allowed back on the site, and by the person who had excluded me. I wasn't trolling, and looking at the thread it's difficult to see why they closed it down. They did have me on a technical point of discussing a point with the moderator on the thread, even though they didn't advise me that it was such a discussion which should have been done in private. The only thing they did tell me was that what I was discussing was off topic, which was a lie. When the page came up telling me of my temp ban these were the two things that were explained to me for my ban.   
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 16:19
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Righty ho, then

Hey, that thread I was on at the other place when I had my temporary exclusion was closed down two days before I was allowed back on the site, and by the person who had excluded me. I wasn't trolling, and looking at the thread it's difficult to see why they closed it down. They did have me on a technical point of discussing a point with the moderator on the thread, even though they didn't advise me that it was such a discussion which should have been done in private. The only thing they did tell me was that what I was discussing was off topic, which was a lie. When the page came up telling me of my temp ban these were the two things that were explained to me for my ban.   

Alani. I haven't logged into Historum for a while now and as the thread you're talking about is in the chamber or closed or whatever ? I have no way of reading it.
Even if I could read it. I probably would not be able to explain why you were suspended....Believe it or not, I never bothered to read the rules when I was an acting moderator and as there are a lot more rules now. I'd be completely clueless  Confused 

I have no intention of returning to Historum, so I'm afraid I can't help you with this.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 16:20
Their demands for private discussion is disturbing. During my time as moderator i always discussed issues openly so all the established members could provide feedback. If you keep it to yourself and the moderator it looks like you have something to hide and it is unlikely other members will intervene when you are suspended, viewing you as a mere troll rather than someone concerned about the future of the forum.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 16:40

Alani. I haven't logged into Historum for a while now and as the thread you're talking about is in the chamber or closed or whatever ? I have no way of reading it.
Even if I could read it. I probably would not be able to explain why you were suspended....Believe it or not, I never bothered to read the rules when I was an acting moderator and as there are a lot more rules now. I'd be completely clueless  Confused 

I have no intention of returning to Historum, so I'm afraid I can't help you with this.

How did you know it was in the chamber?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 16:46
The purpose behind the time out room, was that a member who disrupted a thread ? would be removed from the thread and sent to the time out room were they could scream blue-murder if they chose to. Other members could support them or condemn them. If the mod(s) got it wrong, they would soon be told by the other members.
It also left the thread free and open to those members who happened to be enjoying it.

The time out room was one of the first casualties of the new admin.......

Edited by PADDYBOY - 16-May-2011 at 16:50
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2011 at 16:48
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

How did you know it was in the chamber?

If you aren't logged in. You can not view threads which are in the chamber.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>