Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The world that didn't domesticate the horse.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The world that didn't domesticate the horse.
    Posted: 12-May-2011 at 19:03
Had the horse not been domesticated, how do you believe the world would have developed through the ages, and turned out now?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 19:56
A better question might well be, just how did the horse become extinct in the Americas?

All things considered it is a highly survivable animal. Did the early native americans eat them all?

But, for the rest of the world, its expansion would have been slowed considerably if only oxen, dogs, goats and camels provided the horse power.

Ok, OK, I admit it, sometimes in some places, maybe the lemmings could have been harnesed?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 12-May-2011 at 19:58
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 12:12
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 12:32
The Arabs with their camels would conquer Europe and Asia
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:04
Originally posted by Nick1986

Or perhaps Turkic peoples with their cold weather camels.   Come to think of it, the camel seems to be the only other animal that can substitute for horses in the areas of strength, speed and versatility.  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:27
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Nick1986

Or perhaps Turkic peoples with their cold weather camels.   Come to think of it, the camel seems to be the only other animal that can substitute for horses in the areas of strength, speed and versatility.  

I'm sitting here conjuring visions of Churchill Downs on Derby DayLOL Silks, Jockeys the works, and Camels?  The sight leaving the gates just doesn't work.Big smile  And a mud track? Ugly, real ugly.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 13:45

Come to think of it, the camel seems to be the only other animal that can substitute for horses in the areas of strength, speed and versatility.  

Elephants may give them a run for their moneyor even buffalo

check out these vids

Edited by Toltec - 13-May-2011 at 13:48
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by Toltec

Tamerlane certainly knew how to scare the living daylights out of elephant, warm up the camels and let them chase the elephants. LOL
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 17:35
Dear uncle fred!

The site you gave, was great, but as far as I read, it does not explain the demise of the horse in America, but what is not said, might well explain it?

It just had to be the result of Native Americans hunting them to death!

But, perhaps I could be wrong?

Regards,
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 17:50
Originally posted by opuslola

Dear uncle fred!

The site you gave, was great, but as far as I read, it does not explain the demise of the horse in America, but what is not said, might well explain it?

It just had to be the result of Native Americans hunting them to death!

But, perhaps I could be wrong?

Regards,

I've just this, and thought you might be interested: http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/features/extinction-176.shtml
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2011 at 20:52
A good post AlanDragon....! A lot of possibilities there.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 15:09

Come to think of it, the camel seems to be the only other animal that can substitute for horses in the areas of strength, speed and versatility.  

check out these vids

Elephants are cowards, just look at how they performed with the Carthaginians, they are literally a ticking time bomb. I'm not sure buffalos can be manoeuvred very well, but they would be devastating if they are used to charge headlong on the enemy.

What about ostriches? They are very light on their feet. They can even drag a chariot behind them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ese36G5LC-U

Edited by Baal Melqart - 14-May-2011 at 15:12
Timidi mater non flet
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 15:44
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

check out these vids

Elephants are cowards, just look at how they performed with the Carthaginians, they are literally a ticking time bomb. I'm not sure buffalos can be manoeuvred very well, but they would be devastating if they are used to charge headlong on the enemy.

What about ostriches? They are very light on their feet. They can even drag a chariot behind them!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ese36G5LC-U

I agree, elephants are very unpredictable, and are easily spooked. An elephant in the middle of a chaotic battle would just panic and retreat, causing injuries and losses on either side. Their sheer size however would greatly demoralize enemy troops.

Not sure about ostriches, they seem to get easily frightened, and are not exactly the smartest animals out there.
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
 Post Reply Post Reply