Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Confederacy uses tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confederacy uses tanks
    Posted: 05-May-2011 at 11:56

At the time of the Crimean War a British inventor designed the world's first tank: a steam tractor armed with cannons and protected by dome-shaped armor plate similar to that of Da Vinci's war machine. The British rejected his design so a decade later the inventor took it to America. The Confederacy, aware the Yankees were more numerous and better equipped, decide to put the tanks into production in the hope of tipping the balance. A British police raid on a Laird Bros shipyard at Birkenhead reveals components for these tanks are being constructed there for final assembly in America. Several of these vehicles are confiscated by the Royal Navy for testing but elsewhere production secretly continues uninterrupted.
How would these armored steam tractors have affected the war? What effect would they have on northern morale? Would the South win? Would the North fall? Would other countries intervene? How would this affect the various empires? And would these steam vehicles kickstart an arms race among the European nations resulting in a Steampunk-type world?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 14:09
After war was lost prophecy left:Tractor would be used here till the end of world!South today is agricultural
part of USA.Clown
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 17:36
Hard to say....shock and mobility are amplified by speed and ability to negotiate terrain.....any stats on the anticipated ROM of the beast?
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 17:57
Ha! You got me there! I never heard of such, but I know of the intrigues that went on in England during the war, concering the building of warships, etc.!

Thanks for the new info.

PS, I know we came into our first meeting in some what of a bad situation, but it seems we have more in common than not.

Regards,
Ronald Lee Hughes
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 14:28
Britain used armoured tractors during the Crimean War, but the lack of adoption of this design cast doubts on how well it worked. The Mark I barely worked 60 years later.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2011 at 17:02
It's biggest problems would have been ROM over difficult terrain which then would have effected it's performance and made it likely as a target of massed fires. Heavier it was, given the limitations of a steam propulsion mech vs. additional plating for protection of crew, most likely would have negated its value.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 20:41

The Victorians had a solution for difficult terrain long before caterpillar tracks were invented. Early road locomotives were often fitted with "footed wheels:" flexible wooden boards that enabled the steam tractor to climb steep hills and cross muddy ground
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2011 at 20:54
Intriguing and most inventive...ntl the application would have failed in hilly terrain imo primarily to speed vs. weight ratios or eventual destruction of the wooden feet over continuous rough terrain operation.

Speed however would also have been a major consideration as they could be easily bypassed unless operating in conjunction with a fixed infantry defense support; as there was no stab and or capability of accurate mg firing on the move.... insofar as I am aware. At best they would have been a land based, semi-fixed version of naval ironclads.....or heavy artillery.

But ntl I would have commended their RDA and continued development. As innovation in the war making capability is always key.

Thanks

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 20:15
Absolutely. Steam tractors were slow and unwieldy machines: good for pulling heavy loads but difficult to steer
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 20:44
A better, what if, might well be if the Confederates had the first reliable gatlin guns?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 20:48
They did. In addition to using captured Gatling Guns the Confederates had a primitive volley gun similar to the Mitrailleuse and a rapid-firing cannon called the Williams Gun
Artilleryman magazine
 Post Reply Post Reply