Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

religion is the problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: religion is the problem
    Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by Athena

Germany was a Christian Republic.  
Germany was not a Christian Republic.  Germany was a secular state with the majority of the population being Christian (both nominal and devout).  Likewise, Turkey is not an "Islamic Republic", but is also a secular state with an Islamic majority. 

Edited by Cryptic - 26-Apr-2011 at 10:43
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 10:51
European countries are secular states.Except Vatican city state:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108136.html 
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 11:16
Cryptic,  a huge thank you for causing me to think about what I think, and motivating me to google for more information.  I wish this would happen more often, because it really makes my day when I have to think about what I think.  Not until I posted did I realize I need to explain things differently.

Here is a good site explaining religious democracy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_democracy

Germany was a religious democracy that turned against Jews.   We all know European Christian countries discriminated against Jews and that this came to justify the UN supporting Israel.   We also know in North America there was prejudice against Native Americans and their heathen beliefs.  This almost doomed us to the complete destruction of our environment, because Christians so totally rejected the concept of the earth being one living organism.  You know, understanding reality form such a pagan point of viewShocked.   Thank heavens, despite the Christian resistance to science, science proved these heathens were right, and we are now making efforts to heal our planet.    

We have progressed, but especially in a history forum where we present history to the world, it is important we present it accurately.    Our democracies are not without their religious prejudices and there is blood on their hands because of religion.   But even worse is the lie that it is Christianity that made us great, instead of understanding the importance of democracy to our success.   The US is political democracy, that lacks an understanding of the ideology of democracy. 

The ideology of democracy comes from Athens and is pagan.  Basic to this ideology is an understanding of cause and effect.  If you cut down the trees, you destroy the habitat of all the animals and plants that depend on the forest, and because our planet is one living organism, what happens to one part effects the rest.  Therefore, it is immoral to destroy the forest, or pollute the waters.  Simply put, our industrial revolution was very immoral, and while we were being very immoral, we were thanking God for our blessings, and assuming He would continue to bless us as long as we worshiped Him and kept his commandments.  That is, the religion is based on superstition, not a good understanding of our planet, so it leads to immorality, and justifies wars that are most immoral.  We were the world's supply of oil.  Exporting oil was one of the biggest contributors to our national wealth, and our uncontrolled, gluttonness consumption of it, threatens the whole world.     

Muslims are having a big problem with the immorality of our Christian nation, and we are arming ourselves to defend against them.   We even invade their countries, and have done so prepared to defend oil fields but not the civilians.  This has evidently set off a lot of violence that is spreading from one country to another, just as feared, when Bush Senior had the wisdom to not invade Iraq.   You know, the principle of cause and effect?  If you do this, that will happen.    Which is a whole lot different from  Bush Junior using the Christian Evangelist, Billy Graham, to do a Christian show and convince us that God wants our young men to serve in Iraq.   The US is religious democracy, because that is what its dominate consciousness is.

The ideology of democracy has a different mythology.  That mythology accepts there is a God, but this is not a God who acts on whims according to if He is pleased or not.  This God, does not have any favorites, and does not have angels and demons.  He doesn't give anyone special messages that are not open and free to all equally, because they are the  manifestation of nature, not words from supernatural beings.    We can not fully manifest democracy, until we drop the superstition of a God who can be pleased or displeased, just like all the other gods, with personalities, likes and dislikes, and chosen people.   The true  God is not going to save us from ourselves, but a democracy free of superstition can.  

Edited by Athena - 26-Apr-2011 at 12:50
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 12:47
Originally posted by medenaywe

European countries are secular states.Except Vatican city state:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108136.html 

Some European countries today, are more secular than the US.   I think that is a good thing, and hope the US moves in this direction a little faster.  

Edited by Athena - 26-Apr-2011 at 12:48
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2011 at 10:20

This almost doomed us to the complete destruction of our environment, because Christians so totally rejected the concept of the earth being one living organism. 
Is this a genuine Native American religous belief, or a new age belief created in the 1970s?     There were hundreds of tribes and hundreds of religions.  Some may or may not of had the earth as our mother belief.  New agers have been tampering with and romanticizing genuine native american beliefs for two generations.
And also adding corny eco-wisdom phrases to the speeches of real Native American leaders like Chief Seattle.

Thank heavens, despite the Christian resistance to science, science proved these heathens were right, and we are now making efforts to heal our planet.    
Native Americans were no more and no less likely to practice good stewardship than Christians.  The fundamental difference was that Native Americans were far fewer in number and lacked the technology to make truly serious environmental errors. Transporting animal products for economic profit was also harder.  Even still...

Native Americans ran entire herds driven over cliffs because it was easy.  This practice involved alot of waste, just like some European practices.  

Native Americans also over loaded local agricultural systems leading to collapses.

And, probalby used technology (clovis spear points) to rapidly hunt certain large animals to extinction.

Edited by Cryptic - 27-Apr-2011 at 10:46
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2011 at 20:07
I have come across more accounts of native Americans caring for environment since we have become more concerned about accurate explanations of the past.  I am in a hurry or I would google for links to validate this is a newer discovery.  Many native people around the world live with a mythology that a deity told them they are to care for the earth. 

The most impressive explanation of native Americans believing the earth is one living organism, and how resistant we were to this idea, came from a science paper.  I sure wish I could link to that one and put an end to your doubt, which is curious to me.  

Are you suggesting we haven't been darn careless, deforesting the east and pushing the timber industry further and further west, turning areas of rivers, lakes and the ocean into dead zones with our pollution?   Eugene Oregon industry used the Willamette River as a sewage dump, and nothing nice was build along the river.  A good thing is in more recent years we were able to create beautiful parks and there are some nice privately owned areas along what used to be avoid land.   We have a governor who is restoring as much natural habitate as we possible, and we are having an amazing return of birds. 

Perhaps you mean, native Americans who lived closely with the land and nature, didn't become aware of the effect they had in it?   Or is it just the earth as one living organism concept that you don't believe?   I thought someone would argue the bible tells us to be good stewerts of the land.
The idea that we need to care for the earth is not totally foreign to religion.  Muslims may stress it more than Christians? 
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2011 at 21:50

Perhaps you mean, native Americans who lived closely with the land and nature, didn't become aware of the effect they had in it?  
No, not at all.  I am only saying that Native Americans should neither be stereotyped nor romanticized into new ager, ideal people.  As the sources I have posted links to indicate, Native Americans were no more and no less likely to be good stewards of the land than Christians.

The reason why native americans had a far less environmental impact is not because they were all eco wise, just that they had a smaller population base, less technology and transporting animal products for sale was more difficult.

Are you suggesting we haven't been darn careless, deforesting the east and pushing the timber industry further and further west, turning areas of rivers, lakes and the ocean into dead zones with our pollution?   Eugene Oregon industry used the Willamette River as a sewage dump,
I made no comments either  for or against modern industry anywhere in my post.  Rather, the entire post was illustrating that native american cultures are being turned into new age mush.  This only serves to further damage Native American culture.

Many native people around the world live with a mythology that a deity told them they are to care for the earth. 
And so do Christians, Jews and in all probablility, Muslims.    These groups are no more and no less likely to care for the environment and have the same environmental impact proportion to population and technology as the historical  native americans people (not the new ager version).  

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Apr-2011 at 12:23
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 11:22
Thank you for giving me reason to think on this.   You have really made my day.   Because you pushed the point, I realized at the base of my thinking is a knowing (body, feeling and mind) that animism is what feels right to me, and that the God of Abraham religions do not.

I don't know when human consciousness got cut off from the spirit world, as Judaism and Christianity do, but Rome was materialistic, so I suspect the major change in consciousness happened there.  The God of Abraham is separate from us, and we became separated from the whole of nature.  But since I was a child I responded to the soul of trees, and this was well before New Age thinking.  I am not saying this is a scientifically better understanding of reality, but my feeling about life and death is a lot better when I hold a concept of spirituality that Christianity has opposed.  I perhaps should not have said this consciousness is native American, but so far all my information is about how before Christianity, aboriginal people had a different consciousness.  

Animism is a sense that everything is spiritual in nature.  Quantum physics returns to this thinking of what it is that manifest reality as we experience it.   I am in favor of New Age thinking, because thinking quantum physically is such a different consciousness, bringing the east and west together, and and it comes with the sciences that bring the past into the present.   If we think about this wholistically, our consciousness is completely changed isn't it?   Not that long ago, hurting for sport was considered as natural as rain in Oregon.  Men enjoyed trophies of animal horns and heads on their walls, and women enjoyed their furs.  Older movies glamorized this, and offend today's sensitivities.  At the same time many Christians are demanding more spiritualism in church services.   There is a problem with separating spirit from nature.  There is a problem with separating man from both nature and God!   

Edited by Athena - 28-Apr-2011 at 15:00
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 14:44

I perhaps should not have said this consciousness is native American, but so far all my information is about how before Christianity, aboriginal people had a different consciousness.    
I think you are 100% right.  Aboriginal people seem to have different concepts of cause and effect and do not seem follow all the "rules" of aristoltelian logic.  Needless to say Aristotle's rules of logic dominate western thinking and the modern day practice of Abrahamic religions. 

I wonder if a close study of aboriginal languages would reveal many language structures that violate artistotlian logic.  That would be very interesting.

I realized at the base of my thinking is a knowing (body, feeling and mind) that animism is superior to God of Abraham religions, and this makes Christianity a terrible lie, because it prevented us from having the experience of our connectedness with life.   
I disagree with you here.  People identify what is important to their survival and then usually spend alot of thought and recesources caring for that thing regardless of their religion.  Technology is the difference, not amnism verse Christianity

For example, an amnist hunter gatherer and a pre industrial Christian subsistance farmer both realize that their survival is closely linked to the environment.  Both obtain and use an incredible amount of cultural knowledge on succesfully living with in the environment.

Both can make mistakes, but technology limits how bad those mistakes can be. The amnist hunter gatherer can only run one herd of buffalo off a jump (he cant wipe out all herds with repeating rifles).  Meanwhile the pre industrial Christian subsistance farmer can slash and burn fields ( but he cannot bulldoze the entire Amazon.)  

Technology allows both amnists and Christians to think they can live out side the environment (more room for error, not all livliihoods are directly linked to the environment,  food can be imported etc).  Technology also allows for the mistakes of amnists and Christians to be bigger.

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Apr-2011 at 15:04
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2011 at 15:30
My gosh, conversation is so enjoyable when people share some agreements and disagree on some points. 

Interestingly more cultures than Judo/Christian/Muslim ones have stories of humans being made from mud.  Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell speak of shared symbolism, because we share being humans in common.  This symbolism will come up in the mythology of quite diverse people, such as humans being made of mud and serpents as spiritual beings.

Now the big difference is do we believe the wolf and the bison are our brothers, or do we believe, humans are not part of the animal world?  What is our nature?   What is the nature of spirit?  Is spirit something internal to all things, or something that is external?   Are we humans who can have a spiritual experience, or spirits having a human experience?  Could we have a wolf or bison experience? 

Do only humans have souls or do all things have souls/spirits?  J/C/M religions tell us we fell and are separated from God, and are born into sin, and need to be born again in Jesus Christ if we are to have eternal life.  Often times Christianity has treated nature as an evil.  Christians have claimed only through Jesus can we know God and morals, and can our souls be saved.  Why?  The need of a deified human to save my soul, is not appealing to me on any level.  What kind of magic is this?   Who has the authority to externalize God from my very being or to deny the spirit of all living things?   When I die, will I be with my loved ones and loving God, or will I be isolated in a dark place of suffering, or will I just return to the Tao, or will I just cease to exist?  Hum, I think my ego "I" will cease to exist when it becomes one with the Tao.    

I really want to get into what you said about technology, but the baby woke up. 

Edited by Athena - 28-Apr-2011 at 15:32
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 10:10

Do only humans have souls or do all things have souls/spirits?  J/C/M religions tell us we fell and are separated from God, and are born into sin,

Christians have claimed only through Jesus can we know God and morals, and can our souls be saved.  Why?   

What about the paganism of complex societies such as Greeks, Romans and Egyptians?  Do these also have external gods and external religous / moral codes?   If so, the external God move might mean that society wide religious codes, moral codes and religious experiences are needed for large complex societies.  Shamanism might only work in small societies.

It would be interesting to see if the Hopi and Pueblo Indian religions (relaitively large societeis)  are shamanistic or have more in common with external religions.  Neighboring  Navohos traditionaly lived in smaller groups.  Maybe their traditional religion is more shamanstic.  But.... if large societies need external, society wide religious sytems, why did the ancient Israelites become fervently and 100% external while still a small tribal society?   Maybe it was a fluke? 

I really want to get into what you said about technology, but the baby woke up. 
I truly think that technology (or the lack of) is the overwhelming reason why some groups damage the environment more than others rather than an idea that amnists are inherently eco-wise and Abrahamic religions are inherently not.

Edited by Cryptic - 01-May-2011 at 09:46
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2011 at 23:49
Cryptic, I am so impressed by your answer! That was a spark of genius, and I hope I never forget your explanation for externalized divine authority.   Your suggestions for further research are excellent.   Perhaps I should stop talking and start reading.   I am not sure if I have the information now needed for this discussion, in my library, but I will look for it, and contemplate what you said  tonight when I retire.   Off the top of my head, I can say for sure the Egyptians had many gods, but did not externalize divine authority.  Confused   Wow you handed me a thinking puzzle that is really going to take some work! 

However, for the Hebrews, Abraham comes from Ur and Ur was a city of Sumer.   At least five biblical stories appear to be translations of Sumerian stories.  These were stories of many gods, that were adjusted to be stories of one God, and this may have occurred after Amenhotep attempted to force monotheism on Egypt, possibly leading to the followers of the new religion fleeing Egypt and traveling to what was once Sumer, and searching the archives of Sumer as they may have searched the archives of Egypt for knowledge of the true God?  Writing!  that is the missing piece of the puzzle you have gave me!   The written word, became the authority of truth, as opposed to the personal experience. 

Thinking that instead of there being many gods there is only God, is not so special.  Native Americans commonly held a concept of a Creator.  When people worshiped the Mother Goddess, there was one God, but in Sumer life had become so complex these people created bureaucracy to manage the complexity of the culture. This is recognizing the need to break things down into different task and delegate responsibility.  Obvious, from this consciousness, one God or Goddess could not do everything alone, so there must be many of them.   The problem with many gods is you have to add one everytime you realize a new concept, and eventually the complexity of gods and goddesses becomes unmanageable. 

But back to Amenhotep.  It was his grandfather who started the search of archives for the true God.  This reduced the number of gods to one, Ra the sun god.  Which may not be so different from the sun god of south America.   As Jung would explain, we share the human experience, so we come up with the same ideas.   Zoroastrianism also tilted towards the worship of one God, and Hebrews were worshiping several gods until they too settled on one God, after God punished them for worshiping several gods, according to their own mythology.   Perhaps this worship of one God, is the result of their contact with Persia, and Cyrus, and Zoroastrianism?  I don't know, the stories are so confusing!  People move around and their names change, and counting the date backwards from 1 BC confuses the heck out of me, so my brain can not figure out what happened when. 

However all these historical events played together, there is that moment when we externalized the spirit, and thanks to you Cryptic, I want to know about that moment.   I am going to search my library now.   Hopefully I stay awake long enough to get some reading done. 

About technology- today it is the low tech people who are doing some of the worst damage to the environment.   This is a critical problem today, as growing populations of low tech people are stressing eco-systems.   If they depend on wood for fuel, they deforest their region.  Then they use animal dung for fuel and this prevents the animal dung from fertilizing the land, adding to the environmental disaster of deforesting the land.  Just think Easter Island, where a growing low tech population devastated the environment so badly, the people were reduced to cannibalism and lost the culture they had developed.   Easter Island is the poster child for what can happen to all of us.   Technology is not our enemy.  Human stupidity is the enemy. 

Edited by Athena - 01-May-2011 at 00:15
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 13:15
I have been thinking and reading to better answer your questions, Cryptic.

The subject of Spontaneous Generation is perhaps worthy of a thread, because of how the church used this logical error as arguments for its mythology that is not in agreement with science.  This logical error would be common everywhere and was promoted by some of the best Greek thinkers.
It is the mistaken observation that frogs appear to come from the rain, and things like flies appear to come from rotting flesh.  Last night I watched a show about the biggest wet lands in the world, where during the rainy season, rivers and lakes full of fish appear, where deer were walking across grass lands.  How could a person see this happening and not believe in Spontaneous Generation?  Only with the science we have today, would any reasonably intelligent person not believe in Spontaneous Generation.  

So Cryptic, instead of you and I arguing about a point, perhaps we can try to wrap our heads around a different consciousness?  What would seem true to us, if we could forget everything we know of science?  How does it feel to hold  the idea that a Creator creates with spontaneous generation?  Wouldn't it then be easy to believe in angels and demons, because this creator can create beings and creatures at will, and there are now natural laws, just the will of God.   Christianity carries this line of thinking and that is a big problem!   It prevents fundamentalist from having a accurate understanding of reality, and there the ability to address problems in a scientific way. 

So here we are with this Creator, Father, Mother doing the spontaneous creation thing, and what is our place in all this?   I have notice two distinctly different trains of thought.  Every culture that developed technology, begins with a story of gods who compete for power, and kill each other, and tells the people they are to take dominion of the world.   Those cultures that do not develop technology, have creation stories that do not involve conflict, and are along the line of an earth mother just creating life, and they are to take care of plants and animals, as they take care of each other.  That is, these groups hold different positions in the world, in relations to everything else.   One is warrior kings, and other is servants.  Please, note, I am clearly saying Earth Mother cultures would not advance technology, and I do not believe this would be good thing.  Civilization as we know it today is a combination of a caring goddess and a war like God. 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 14:22
Originally posted by Cryptic

Native Americans were no more and no less likely to practice good stewardship than Christians.  The fundamental difference was that Native Americans were far fewer in number and lacked the technology to make truly serious environmental errors. Transporting animal products for economic profit was also harder.  Even still...

Native Americans ran entire herds driven over cliffs because it was easy.  This practice involved alot of waste, just like some European practices.  

Native Americans also over loaded local agricultural systems leading to collapses.

And, probalby used technology (clovis spear points) to rapidly hunt certain large animals to extinction.

[/QUOTE]

Native Americans  were just as reliant on climate as anyone else.  If you examine the Chaco Canyon Civ.  the collapse was due to an extended draught.  The civilisation that terra formed the Amazon basin practiced methods of farming we don't yet fully understand.  They were however capable of feeding as many as 90 million.
The others you mention are hunter/gatherer examples, not good models and the jury is definitly still out on Clovis.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123