Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Soccer in the US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aeem View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Soccer in the US
    Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 07:14
Hello,

I'm French and in Europe the King Sport is the Soccer. What is the place in the american mentality for this sport, apparently the Soccer is most important for the American. That's true ?

Share your opinion !

Aeem.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 08:04
About 30 years ago, soccer started to take over as the youth sport from little league baseball.  Since then, soccer has become one of the mainstay sports.  High School and college.  I doubt that pro teams will achieve the popularity that sports such as American Football and Baseball has, but who knows?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
throughthepastdarkly View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote throughthepastdarkly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2011 at 10:29

Speaking as a man in his late 30's, the prevailing attitude of my generation (should I say my parents'?) in suburban America is that soccer is a sport most kids play to ramp up for other American mainstays such as football and basketball. Requiring at least some height and ability to launch a projectile as it does, basketball is not so practical for the 4-7 or 4-8 age range. Many American parents do not want the head-on collisions of football to begin at such a tender age either. Being such an elementary sport and orders less complex than American football or even baseball, soccer gets youngsters prepared for teamwork and beginning fitness before moving on to more advanced sports before the age of 10. Of course, there enough kids who stay with soccer to support an entire soccer industry, but that industry to this day has never held the same draw. Suffice it to say, most American kids 'grow out' of soccer.

Soccer is a fun game to play, but mind-boggling tedium to watch, even after making years of effort to learn to appreciate it, including a semester in London. Nothing compares to American football, and the progressively greater marketshare that the NFL holds in terms of TV ratings in the U.S. is testimony. It is simply the most intellectually engaging, consistently exciting - every possession, every set of 4 downs delineates a game within the game - and dramatic spectator sport.

Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 07:21
How strong (or not) is Rugby I would have thought that would appeal more to football fans?
cymru am byth
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 08:02
Originally posted by throughthepastdarkly

Speaking as a man in his late 30's, the prevailing attitude of my generation (should I say my parents'?) in suburban America is that soccer is a sport most kids play to ramp up for other American mainstays such as football and basketball. Requiring at least some height and ability to launch a projectile as it does, basketball is not so practical for the 4-7 or 4-8 age range. Many American parents do not want the head-on collisions of football to begin at such a tender age either. Being such an elementary sport and orders less complex than American football or even baseball, soccer gets youngsters prepared for teamwork and beginning fitness before moving on to more advanced sports before the age of 10. Of course, there enough kids who stay with soccer to support an entire soccer industry, but that industry to this day has never held the same draw. Suffice it to say, most American kids 'grow out' of soccer.

Soccer is a fun game to play, but mind-boggling tedium to watch, even after making years of effort to learn to appreciate it, including a semester in London. Nothing compares to American football, and the progressively greater marketshare that the NFL holds in terms of TV ratings in the U.S. is testimony. It is simply the most intellectually engaging, consistently exciting - every possession, every set of 4 downs delineates a game within the game - and dramatic spectator sport.

There are people in a number of countries who try and push American football, but as yet most countries haven't been able to generate enough enjoyment from the sport. Soccer, or football as most of the world knows it, is increasing its popularity. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2011 at 08:08
If you wanted Soccer as popular sport,would start betting!Everything changes over night!In my country we have every member(gambler),with knowledge of player/couch/selector and trainer,all in one package!LOL

Edited by medenaywe - 28-May-2011 at 07:02
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2011 at 05:57
Originally posted by throughthepastdarkly

If your playing the game right, Baseball is more complex or as complex as American football.

I live in the Northest US.  I don't know where you get your information, but Soccer is growing in popularity more every year.  American Kids don't grow out of Soccer, there just isn't a large enough venue to support all of the College kids who would want to go pro. 
I know one of the great Soccer families in South Jersey.  They have had 3 brothers in MLS for the last 15 years.  The youngest was picked for Team USA.  I guess my pov is different because of that.

Philly's new team, The Union is leading the League.  Being a winner helps a whole lot in gaining popularity.  I don't know if the level of play is the same as Europe, but I can say it's getting there. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply