Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern human tool assemblages under and above the

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern human tool assemblages under and above the
    Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 10:57

HUMAN OCCUPATION, ADAPTATION AND BEHAVIORAL CHANGE IN THE PLEISTOCENE AND HOLOCENE OF SOUTH INDIA: RECENT INVESTIGATIONS IN THE KURNOOL DISTRICT, ANDHRA PRADESH

The depositional position of the tephra in the Jurreru River Valley, to gether with new chronometric and geochemical evidence, indicates that the ash is a product of the 74,000 year old YTT event (Petraglia et al., 2007). The recovery of Middle Paleolithic assemblages in dated deposits below and above the ash provides the first firm archaeological association, helping to resolve some of the uncertainty about archaeological associations in India. The recovery of Middle Paleolithic industries without major technological changes after the ashfall, indicate that populations survived the super-eruption. We have suggested, based on a variety of datasets, that modern humans were present in the Indian sub continent before the super-eruption, and that these populations survived this event.

More here-http://toba.arch.ox.ac.uk/confabs.pdf

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 11:05
Originally posted by red clay

We have suggested, based on a variety of datasets, that modern humans were present in the Indian sub continent before the super-eruption, and that these populations survived this event
This is very interesting.  I have always had doubts about the theory that the mega eruption eruption wiped out all but about 2,000 humans who sheltered in South Africa.

At the end of the day, early humans are very intelligent and very adaptable (unlike dinosaurs).  I am not saying that no natural event could wipe out almost all humans, but I think it would take far more than a mega volcanic eruption. 

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Feb-2011 at 11:06
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 14:45
humans were already in arabia 125000 years ago, so yeah its possible that they were in India 75,000 years ago
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 15:06
If Toga was erupted we still do not know were those artifacts from refuges camps or ordinary living habitats!?!My question is:Were those habitats founded under volcanic ashes and debris or were before eruption?Refuges even today have not civilized habitats,with help of Red Cross and Red Crescent even!?!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 08:40
Originally posted by medenaywe

If Toga was erupted we still do not know were those artifacts from refuges camps or ordinary living habitats!?!My question is:Were those habitats founded under volcanic ashes and debris or were before eruption?Refuges even today have not civilized habitats,with help of Red Cross and Red Crescent even!?!

What they are hypothesizing is that the tool technology found under the ash layer is unchanged in the habitation sites found over the ash layer.  Meaning the folks that made the tools under the ash were the same folks who made the tools over the ash.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 08:54
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by red clay

We have suggested, based on a variety of datasets, that modern humans were present in the Indian sub continent before the super-eruption, and that these populations survived this event
This is very interesting.  I have always had doubts about the theory that the mega eruption eruption wiped out all but about 2,000 humans who sheltered in South Africa.

At the end of the day, early humans are very intelligent and very adaptable (unlike dinosaurs).  I am not saying that no natural event could wipe out almost all humans, but I think it would take far more than a mega volcanic eruption. 

It's not a theory.  It's a genetic fact.  Geneticists have long known of the "Genetic Bottleneck".  However, I've had a problem with the numbers bantied about.  Figures range from 2,000 to 20,000 human survivors. 
Early humans have always had a habit of surprising us.  I don't know why this should be any different.  I'd be more comfortable with a figure like 100,000  survivors.  The Spaniard in the works,IMHO, is the Neanderthal.  If we were reduced to less than a 100,000, what happened to them?
The eruption itself left an ash layer 30 ft deep in many places.  What came after was the killer,  A nuclear winter that some say could have lasted as long as 100 years.

Edited by red clay - 08-Feb-2011 at 09:04
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply