Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mating season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mating season
    Posted: 17-Jan-2011 at 11:59
The ducks are pairing off and next month is Valentines Day.  Have you observed any wild life mating behavior in your neighborhood?  

Reproductive cycles in many vertebrates and invertebrates are related to changes in day length.

Day length is a reliable indicator of season for timing circannual events such as reproductive behavior and migration.

In many species, the pineal gland secretes melatonin in the dark. Increasing day length (decreased melatonin levels) triggers reproductive behavior.

Edited by Athena - 17-Jan-2011 at 12:15
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2011 at 12:29
No.  Spring break isn't until April.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2011 at 13:00
domestic cats are mating during February.Birds according that they are migrating mostly after March/April.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2011 at 14:15
Although at age 64, my "wild life" days are mostly behind me, I am suddenly feeling strange!!

Actually most all of the people I know, hunt and kill and eat the ducks! It seems, that regardless of the number of birds that just fall out of the sky, the ducks seems to fall much better with steel (Lead?)balls!

But, I will keep my eyes open and report any excessive fornication of the local bird or squirrel or cat population!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
huntergill View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote huntergill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2011 at 17:21
I saw two mallard males raping a female brutually, almost killing her.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 08:31
Originally posted by huntergill

I saw two mallard males raping a female brutually, almost killing her.

That's extremely unusual.  Mallards mate for life.  A male Mallard will usually not bother with a female that has a lifemate.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 10:29
Actually red, it is not an uncommon sight, as I have also seen similar events in person.

Even Wikipedia says;

"When they pair off with mating partners, often one or several drakes will end up "left out". This group will sometimes target an isolated female duck, even when she's of a different species, and proceed to chase and peck at her until she weakens, at which point each male will take turns copulating with the female. Lebret (1961) calls this behaviour ‘Attempted Rape Flight’ and Cramp & Simmons (1977) speak of ‘rape-intent flights’. Male Mallards will also occasionally chase other male ducks of a different species, and even each other, in the same way. In one documented case of ‘homosexual necrophilia’, a male Mallard copulated with another male he was chasing after the chased male died upon flying into a glass window.[18]"

Regards,
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 11:00
Strangely enough, most male birds don't have a penis. They have a cloaca (vent) which makes it difficult to tell the male apart from the female other than by plumage, yet for some reason that escapes me, a few species of birds do have a penis of sorts and you guessed it, the male mallard is one of them. The pesky devils...
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 11:20
Thanks for the news Paddy, it give a whole new meaning to those famous words uttered by Marlene Dietrich, in the movie "Witness for the prosecution", starring also Charles Laughton and Tyrone Power, when she says;

"Want to kiss me duckie?" Laugh

Sorry I could not find a video of this scene!

Edited by opuslola - 27-Jul-2011 at 11:29
PADDYBOY View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Historum joker, suspended

Quote PADDYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2011 at 11:30
Originally posted by opuslola

Thanks for the news Paddy, it give a whole new meaning to those famous words uttered by Marlene Dietrich, in the movie "Witness for the prosecution", starring also Charles Laughton and Tyrone Power, when she says;

"Want to kiss me duckie?" Laugh

Sorry I could not find a video of this scene!

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply