Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aghori hindus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aghori hindus?
    Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 16:40
Has anyone heard of Aghori hindus?

I just saw a video which is really disturbing, i will post it later if you guys alow. Apprantly this hindu sect eats rotten uncooked flesh of humans, pigs, dogs, rats, they even eat their feces and drink their own urine. Many hindus actually have respect for these people, most of them live in the hindu holy city of Banaras, they just collect dead floating human bodies from Ganges and eat them

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 17:11
Originally posted by balochii

I just saw a video which is really disturbing, i will post it later if you guys alow. Apprantly this hindu sect eats rotten uncooked flesh of humans, pigs, dogs, rats, they even eat their feces and drink their own urine. Many hindus actually have respect for these people, most of them live in the hindu holy city of Banaras, they just collect dead floating human bodies from Ganges and eat them

I do not know about rats, dogs etc, but I saw a video of the Aghori sect eating the decaying human body from the Ganges.  In fairness, that group was very small (a sect with in a sect), had been kicked out of the main Aghori temple and lived outside of Banaras.

I bet more than a few Aghoris are simply mentally ill.  Hindus should recognize this and codemn their  "practices".   The fact that Hinduism is such an open religion allows the actions of mentally ill people to be given a religous aura.

Apprantly this hindu sect eats rotten uncooked flesh of... pigs 
Uncooked pig?, not for meDead.   Cooked pig, however, is delicious.Smile   Trust me.Wink

Edited by Cryptic - 14-Dec-2010 at 17:46
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 13:48
Originally posted by Cryptic

I do not know about rats, dogs etc, but I saw a video of the Aghori sect eating the decaying human body from the Ganges.  In fairness, that group was very small (a sect with in a sect), had been kicked out of the main Aghori temple and lived outside of Banaras.

I bet more than a few Aghoris are simply mentally ill.  Hindus should recognize this and codemn their  "practices".   The fact that Hinduism is such an open religion allows the actions of mentally ill people to be given a religous aura.

Uncooked pig?, not for meDead.   Cooked pig, however, is delicious.Smile   Trust me.Wink

Aghoris were not kicked out of banaras, my dad visited banaras and aghoris are there in huge numbers, most hindus respect them. In the middle ages mughals actually kicked them out of the city and thats why they went to the forests of bengal, but since India became an independant country in 1947 they came back and now are respected, even though their practices are satanic
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 13:49
Originally posted by World_History_Duke12

Uncooked pig? eeek! not for me.Dead That sicken me.DeadDeadDead

not just uncooked, but eating rotten dogs,rats,pigs etc...
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2010 at 10:37

Aghoris were not kicked out of banaras, my dad visited banaras and aghoris are there in huge numbers, most hindus respect them. In the middle ages mughals actually kicked them out of the city and thats why they went to the forests of bengal, but since India became an independant country in 1947 they came back and now are respected, even though their practices are satanic
I was not refering to all aghoris being kicked out of Banaras, just the group practicing cananbalism.  The producers then stated that the group in question were outcastes and lived down stream from the city.  That is how they obtain the corpses.
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2010 at 09:18
Cannibalism has been practiced around the world and throughout history.  As we understand reality today, it is not acceptable, but when reality is understood differently, it is the right thing to do.   The link gives some good explanations for cannibalism and of Aghori Hindus.  I don't mean good as we should violate our taboo against cannibalism, but comprehensive explanations.  The film maker hopes to document their practices for 12 years and then we will have an even better understanding of their reasoning.   I think it should be noted, the practice is encouraged by other Hindus cremating their dead in the open, where the remains could be eaten, or putting their dead in the river.  Changing these practices would bring an end to the cannibalism.

I also caution, such a film could catch the imagination of some people who will then feel compelled to be cannibalistic.  When something is held taboo it is not safe to expose everyone to the knowledge of what is taboo.   As Jesus said, there are some things we shouldn't even think about.

http://factoidz.com/the-aghori-hinduism-cannibalism-and-immortality/

While the “civilizing” of the world has resulted in many cultures abandoning timeless principles and practices, present-day Hindu society reflects a blend of both ancient and modern ideals–mystical as well as practical. As with most religious systems today, Hindu doctrinal adherence varies from the moderately devout to the dramatically zealous, the casual to the concerted.  The Aghori see themselves as spiritual icons, finding themselves juxtaposition to encroaching modernity–the ageless societal threat to spiritual devotion.  A century ago Henry Balfour wrote, “Regarding the very peculiar sect of ascetics known as the Aghori, any reliable information must be of value since it appears their numbers are diminishing, and their unpleasantly peculiar customs seem likely to die out at no very remote period.”  Clearly, Balfour not only underestimated the significance of the Aghori within the Hindu spiritual system of belief, he underestimated their significance within Hindu society.  And as a psycho-anthropologist taking a broader assessment of the mystical roots of Hinduism, I am personally compelled to posit, “Which best represents the heart of the ancient Hindu tenets: the many new ‘accepted’ sects popping up across the Indian landscape, or a sect that has maintained its devotional purity for perhaps a thousand years?”  Even though current Hindu sensibilities–as well as our own–may deem the Aghori mystical cannibalistic practices far removed from “the spiritual,” who can say they haven’t discovered exactly what they claim to have discovered, a mystical path directly to God? 

Edited by Athena - 26-Dec-2010 at 09:52
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2010 at 10:30

almost all cultures have condemned cannbalism.   The few cultures that have accepted it have usually used it to terrify enemies of to terrify subject peoples.  Hinduism has also condemend cannibalism except for a small number of the Aghori Hindu sect. 

This Hindu sect shares the same basic prisciples  as the "Holy Fools" tradition of Russian Orthodox Christianity where normal religious / social customs can be violated (to degrees) by certain  mystics.  The degree of permissible violation seems far greater with Aghoris. As a side note, Raputin was a "Holy Fool" who used the sect's rule breaking expectations as a cover for personal influence.  Aghoris probably attract similar individuals.

I would not be surpired if a certain number of mentally ill have found refuge in Aghori groups or and that many of the most extreme Aghori practices are indicative of mental illness, not spirituality. 

Edited by Cryptic - 26-Dec-2010 at 10:35
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2011 at 10:16
Very nice appetizer!Have a good meal.Wacko
 Post Reply Post Reply