Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gulf arabs and indians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gulf arabs and indians?
    Posted: 01-Dec-2010 at 14:34
why do gulf arabs and indians look a like??? just watch these two videos posted by some saudi guy, he is arab who is posting and he thinks saudis look indian:

The only difference is arabs are filthy rich and indians are filthy poor.
kangarooistan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote kangarooistan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 08:10
I often ask the same question about some Aboriginal Peoples in Southern australia , they too often get mistaken for people from the middle east ,  with brown skin  and eyes and dark wavy hair , having noted how the Dingo looks very much like the Canaanite dog I assume a very long time ago  ancient traders spread their genes  everywhere they traded ,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_Dog ,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo 

Today, the most common theory is that the dingo arrived in Australia about 4,000 years ago, because the oldest known fossils of dingoes were estimated to be about 3,500 years old  , and as I note many words shared in the Arabic and Aboriginal peoples languages  of Sth australia ,  Im convinced there were so called Phoenicians  trading with Australia at the time the Dingo arrived ,  when they roamed to seas several thousand years ago that also left behind SOME language

Based on fossil, molecular, and anthropogenic evidence, it is assumed that Australian dogs  called  dingoes once might have had a widespread distribution. These ancient dingoes would have associated to nomadic hunter-gatherer-societies and later with the rising agricultural centers. It is further assumed that they would have been tamed there and were then transported to various places in the world. Dingo-findings from Thailand and Vietnam are regarded as the oldest findings, which have been estimated to be respectively as old as 5,000–5,500 years. The age of findings from the highlands of Indonesia vary between a maximum of 5,000 to (in most cases) 2,500 to 3,000 years.

kanga
=====
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 08:30
I have heard of Cowboys and Indians.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 00:55
Heh, well not all of them look the same though I see your point. Since I live in the region I can tell you there are many Arabs who have light skin. Arabs in general have lighter skin than Indians (at least the Indians who come here). I've seen many Indians who have green eyes though.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 08:20

Originally posted by kangarooistan

I often ask the same question about some Aboriginal Peoples in Southern australia , they too often get mistaken for people from the middle east ,  with brown skin  and eyes and dark wavy hair ,
Some Gulf  might be distantly related to Aboriginal Australians.  Australoid people left Africa in the very distant past and traveled along the Indian ocean.  They currently live in Australia (of course) but also in south India, Sri Lanka and a few in Pakistan.   There are also very small numbers of Australoid descended people in Somalia and Yemen.

Originally posted by Arab

Heh, well not all of them look the same though I see your point. Since I live in the region I can tell you there are many Arabs who have light skin. Arabs in general have lighter skin than Indians (at least the Indians who come here). I've seen many Indians who have green eyes though.
Just out of curiosity, do bedouin arabs have dark or light skin?   Also what about the small ethnic group in Oman whose native language is not Arabic.  I cant remember their name.  Do you know if they are indigenous to the area like the Arabs are/ 

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Feb-2011 at 08:30
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 09:00
Originally posted by Cryptic

Just out of curiosity, do bedouin arabs have dark or light skin?   Also what about the small ethnic group in Oman whose native language is not Arabic.  I cant remember their name.  Do you know if they are indigenous to the area like the Arabs are/ 

Most of them have dark skin. And I think you're referring to the Mahra, who live mostly in Yemen and also in Oman. Their language, Mehri, is in a different classification of Semitic languages, the South Semitic group.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 16:24
Are the bedouin arabs different from the Royal Arabs? I thought all of the bedouin tribes merged with marriage and children with one another?

Besides concubines, what could have caused the difference, besides staying inside and not riding around in the Sun upon one's camel, or convertible Mercedes?

Edited by opuslola - 19-Feb-2011 at 16:25
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 08:11

The royal families of most Arab gulf countries are from Bedouin tribes, but many people in eastern Arabia are Baharna, which is an ethnic group of non-Bedouin Arabs. Unlike nomadic Bedouins, these were mostly sedentary farmers and they are Shi'ites. They mostly have dark skin like Bedouins. Regarding marriage, there is a tradition among Bedouins, especially for women, that you should only marry people from your tribe. But many so called "Arabs" in this region are actually descended from immigrants who came here from Iran and other places in the past few hundred years, which could explain the difference.

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 08:55

Most of them have dark skin. And I think you're referring to the Mahra, who live mostly in Yemen and also in Oman. Their language, Mehri, is in a different classification of Semitic languages, the South Semitic group. 
Thanks for the information.  I have a few more questions if you do not mind.....

Since nomadic bedouin are probably far less likely to have intermarried with other groups to large degrees, do you think Arabs were originally darker complected than they are today?

Also, I am interested in earliest human migrations from Africa.  Have you noticed if any of the nomadic Bedouin have Australoid features?  Please keep in mind that not all Australoids are as dark complected as Australian Aboriginese.  For example the Ainu in Japan are lighter.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Feb-2011 at 08:56
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2011 at 10:16
I think their skin color was the same as today. Some medieval Muslim scholars such as al-Jahiz pointed out that Arabs had lighter skin than Ethiopians. And when I said Bedouins have dark skin I didn't mean dark like Africans. Their skin color is comparable to north Indians. It is made even darker from exposure to the sun.

I'm not sure about Bedouins being Australoid. According to wikipedia Australoid features are a large brow ridge and large, portruding jaws. But I haven't seen these features on anyone in the region. Arabs usually have convex "Roman" noses unlike the broad noses of Aborigines or Africans. People with very dark skin are probably descended from slaves. I didn't know the Ainu were australoid though, that is interesting...

Many people from Yemen have African ancestry as they have very dark skin, but in isolated mountain villages the people have much lighter skin and even green eyes, which suggests the original people of the region had light skin.

Edited by Arab - 20-Feb-2011 at 10:35
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2011 at 09:05
Thanks for the inforamtion.  I guess Australoids have essentially disappeared from the Middle East with the exceptions of a very small number of partial australoids in Somalia and Yemen.  Though they were among the first to leave Africa, they seem, to have been overwhelmed everywhere but Australia.

Arabs usually have convex "Roman" noses 
Does this feature become less prounounced in Iraq?   From what I have seen on T.V. and from the few Iraqis that I have met (mostly Chaldean minority), the Iraqis seem to have more rounded faces and "softer" features.  Is this impression correct?  

I didn't know the Ainu were australoid though, that is interesting...
In the 18th century, they were originally classified as an isolated caucasoid group.  This was changed to Australoid.  The are indication that the aboriginal inhabitants of Japan were Australoids.  The far more numerous Emeishi (metal using civilization related to the Ainu) were Australoid but were overwhelmed by Asiatic Japanese in the early Middle Ages.  A few Japanese from villages in north east Honshu are said to have some australoid features even today.

Edited by Cryptic - 21-Feb-2011 at 09:23
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2011 at 11:35

Arabs usually have convex "Roman" noses 
Does this feature become less prounounced in Iraq?   From what I have seen on T.V. and from the few Iraqis that I have met (mostly Chaldean minority), the Iraqis seem to have more rounded faces and "softer" features.  Is this impression correct?  

Well, in the Levant area and Fertile Crescent in general you will find some people with lighter skin, light eyes, soft features etc. Unlike further south in the Arabian peninsula, this area was ruled by many, many peoples and it is also a crossroad between Europe and Asia and thus there is a lot of diversity and more ethnic groups. So, you could find one person who looks like a northern European, and another person who looks like an Indian or Central Asian.

Edited by Arab - 21-Feb-2011 at 11:45
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2011 at 20:39
^ are you native of Bahrain??
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2011 at 07:01
Originally posted by balochii

^ are you native of Bahrain??
I was born here but my mother is Iraqi and my father is Iranian.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2012 at 11:48

Thanks for the inforamtion.  I guess Australoids have essentially disappeared from the Middle East with the exceptions of a very small number of partial australoids in Somalia and Yemen.  Though they were among the first to leave Africa, they seem, to have been overwhelmed everywhere but Australia.

You may find this interesting:

A very Australoid looking person from Yemen
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2012 at 19:18
Originally posted by balochii

why do gulf arabs and indians look a like??? just watch these two videos posted by some saudi guy, he is arab who is posting and he thinks saudis look indian:

The only difference is arabs are filthy rich and indians are filthy poor.

Probably because Arab traders settled in India's ports and left many descendents. The mythical Sinbad was apparently based on a historical Muslim explorer who reached India
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 02:50
Yes, there was much interaction between the Gulf and the Indus valley in ancient times, and Oman actually held territories in modern-day Pakistan in the 18th century.
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2012 at 08:29

Yes, there was much interaction between the Gulf and the Indus valley in ancient times, and Oman actually held territories in modern-day Pakistan in the 18th century.

Don't forget Zanzibar in Tanzania. A lot of the darker skinned Omanis are referred to as 'Zangibari'.
Timidi mater non flet
Khaleeji View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khaleeji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2016 at 11:13
Gulf Arabs many look like North Indians or Iranians who are the lightest in south Asian countries some look east Mediterranean or Italian and Spanish people I'm a gulf Arab ,here's a video showing indigenous Arabian peninsula people or native gulf Arabs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9hItKSHCs

Edited by Khaleeji - 04-Apr-2016 at 11:15
Khaleeji View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khaleeji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2016 at 15:33

gulf arab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>