Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Border of Europe and Asia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Border of Europe and Asia
    Posted: 27-Nov-2010 at 14:28
It is interesting for me that Iran is a neighbour of three European countries (Turkey, Armenia and Azerbaijan), about Turkey it is said that just a small region in the west of Istanbul is located in Europe but I don't why countries of Armenia and Azerbaijan in the east of Turkey are also considered as the European countries, Cyprus in the south of Turkey is European too, it seems Europe is larger than what I thought!
ancalimon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ancalimon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2010 at 15:04
Europe is a made up continent. Everywhere is Asia.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2010 at 18:42
“Asia“ is also a fabricated concept since Europe and Asia are geographically rather one continent. Within some time "Eurasia" may become the  name for the continent with "Europe" and " Asia" as subdivisions.
To some extent Europe can (and does) make/adjust its borders (if desired) because they are not officially settled in the east/southeast. Armenia, Turkey and Azerbaijan are in the Council of Europe and Eurovison. Even Israel (which does not even border Europe) participates in Eurovision and there are voices to include it even more.
It's of course speculative but if Iran was not Islamic ruled, at least partly non-muslim, Europe may have shifted its geographical “border” a bit (maybe 100 km or so) into Iran territory as well. Such to keep things open for a partnership or some sort of membership.

Star

Edited by Sander - 27-Nov-2010 at 19:26
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2010 at 19:39
It has to do with two things, religion and colour of your skin.

Religion we already know why, but colour of skin also, i am not denying that iran does have white looking people, but most of iran is not white, most people are tanned in iran, most iranians could never fit in europe, except maybe extreme southern europe like greek islands or siciliy. Even most Turks in central Turkey are tanned, Istanbul turks are whitish thats why they are in europe, Armenia is a white country, but Azerbaijan also has a lot of tanned people and i dont think it is part of europe
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2010 at 13:28

I think if we consider the whole Russia as an European country then it can be said that there is a horizontal or oblique border between Europe and Asia, where Europe is in the north and Asia is in the south.

However the majority of Europeans are Christian but I doubt the border can be related to the religion, we know Philippines is a Christian country in Asia, about the skin colour, this thing can be related to the north thing that I said, people who live in the northern parts have lighter skin colors than the southern ones.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2010 at 14:34
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think if we consider the whole Russia as an European country then it can be said that there is a horizontal or oblique border between Europe and Asia, where Europe is in the north and Asia is in the south.

However the majority of Europeans are Christian but I doubt the border can be related to the religion, we know Philippines is a Christian country in Asia, about the skin colour, this thing can be related to the north thing that I said, people who live in the northern parts have lighter skin colors than the southern ones.

Russia was always divided on european and asian part. It is accepted that european part of Russia ends in the Ural mountains.
I wouldnt say that majority of Europeans are Christian. I think that right now atheists and agnostics make a bigger part. Even such traditionally christian and catholic country like Spain is now accepting laws that are being condemned by the catholic church - eg abortion and gay marriages.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 15:10
Originally posted by Mosquito

Russia was always divided on european and asian part. It is accepted that european part of Russia ends in the Ural mountains.
I wouldnt say that majority of Europeans are Christian. I think that right now atheists and agnostics make a bigger part. Even such traditionally christian and catholic country like Spain is now accepting laws that are being condemned by the catholic church - eg abortion and gay marriages.

Mosquito, I`m not agree with you. Majority of the population in countries like France and Italy do not follow strict Christianity, but this doesn`t mean that they are atheists. If you read "Decameron" by Giovanni Boccaccio you will find that even in Medieval period people in these areas were not
very religious. Christianity has much deeper roots in European civilization than strictly observance of rites and canon. It is a sign of identity and value. In "agnostic" France all celebrate Christmas. Every town is proud of its magnificent cathedral. Without Christianity, Europe would not be what it is today, but Christianity lived its period of involvement in secular government. I remember how Pope John Paul ІІ presented his apologies for the burning of Giordano Bruno. Soon I heard a very moderate speech of Pope Benedict on the use of the condoms.
 Communist regime everywhere promoted atheism. They fought with Christian values in every way. Soviet statistics from 1990 explain 75 % ateists in USSR. Today the influence of Orthodox Christianity in Russia is increasing swiftly. Even the Russian president officially attend mass during major religious holidays, something totally unthinkable before 20 years. 70 years of Communism failed to delete power of the Christianity among Russian society. All the churches destroyed by the Communists, were restored. Also built many new ones. Like this church in Norilsk-industrial city build by Stalin in Siberia 1935, north of the Arctic circle.

And this new church build in Vladivostok, near borders of China, Korea and japan. 

Islam will always be alien to Europe and Europeans are generally quite suspicious towards Muslims. Many times in history Muslims have demonstrated their hostile intentions and thirst for power in Europe, while Europeans have felt strong sense of superiority and deep contempt towards Islam and Muslim community at all. Real friendship between European and person from the Middle East is too rare in real life. This is the true frontier, outside the geographical.
balochii View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote balochii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 15:18
^ you do know there islam in europe already, Bosnia, Albania etc... obvioulsy from your post your living in a cave and have never ever met a muslim in real life
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 16:23
No I don`t live in cave, but you obviously failed to hear about several wars just around (Bosnia, Kosovo). Tension is still there. Islam was forcibly imposed in both Bosnia and Albania. Read in Google about story of Albanian national hero Skanderbeg. Even now half of the population in Albania is Christian (Catholic and Orthodox). Countries like Saudi Arabia and Turkey financed with billions of dollars opening of schools where kids studied radical islamism. Building of the mosques in dominant Christian areas for propaganda and provocative veiw. Is this not expansion and thirst for power? Of course in your eyes European Christians are not write.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 16:33
Kanas_Krumesis how will you define "christian" ? What does it mean?

I was baptised, had all the necessary catholic sacraments, I do celebrate christmass, but I dont belive in that Jewish carpenter. I do identify myself more with the Roman governor who sentenced him to death. Am I christian or not?
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 16:50
Maybe you should read the book of your compatriot Zenon Kosidowski- "Gospel Stories" (Opowieści ewangelistów Wink) to understand how Christianity arose and its continuity from the old pagan culture. As I said Christianity is not just rituals, but sign of identity and cultural value. Also tradition. I`m also disagreeing with most of the Bible. Particularly with the Old Testament.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2010 at 20:20
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Maybe you should read the book of your compatriot Zenon Kosidowski- "Gospel Stories" (Opowieści ewangelistów Wink) to understand how Christianity arose and its continuity from the old pagan culture. As I said Christianity is not just rituals, but sign of identity and cultural value. Also tradition. I`m also disagreeing with most of the Bible. Particularly with the Old Testament.

Iv never heard about this guy.

As for the values, they can be taken as well from the ancient Rome and Greece, which also influenced Europe and its culture. Christianity affcourse has its share but as well as pagan Rome or reneissance or reformation and its anti-catholic ideas.

Edited by Mosquito - 29-Nov-2010 at 20:20
Yllbardh View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Yllbardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2011 at 09:35
Sorry guy's but the border of what's geographical in Europe has nothing to do with religion. And why Iran isn't part of Europe 'cause the geographical border is just north of Iran in the Caucasus mountain range. And why the Cyprus is in Europe is the same as with Greenland which is closer to Americas but is part of Europe. Song contest has nothing to do with issue that's more or less an geopolitical matter.
 Post Reply Post Reply