Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crocodile Vs. Shark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crocodile Vs. Shark
    Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 03:45
Apart from that if a 20 feet salty holds on to a Great white of same size after the bite it will render the shark immobile thus suffocating it and gradually leading it to death.Sharks need to be mobile for breathing.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 03:54
Second largest of Crocodile family is the Nile crocodiles which is also known to grow longer than 20 feets.A Nile croc named Gustave is known to be 21 feet long and is notorius as a man eater.It is known to have killed and eaten 300 humans.

The nile crocodile distribution map is given below

If you go through the distribution maps of Nile crocs and Salt water crocs it looks like Greatwhites are avoiding the croc territory
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 13:07
Crocodiles and especially salt water crocodiles seem to be the apex predator on earth.  Even still, I bet all bet all but the largest crocodile would be in for a fight if he grabbed what he thought was a  human and it turned out to be a large, male silver backed gorilla. 

Though gorillas bite alone may not disable a crocodile, they could probably inflict serious internal injuries by striking and they also have the ability to grasp.

Though far smaller,  Chimapzees are incredibly strong and extremely ferocious when enraged. I can only imagine the strength  and ferocity of a gorilla.  Then factor in that gorillas are intelligent and that other members of the family group may aid the one being attacked.

Edited by Cryptic - 19-Oct-2010 at 13:38
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 00:05
Originally posted by Cryptic

Crocodiles and especially salt water crocodiles seem to be the apex predator on earth.  Even still, I bet all bet all but the largest crocodile would be in for a fight if he grabbed what he thought was a  human and it turned out to be a large, male silver backed gorilla. 

Though gorillas bite alone may not disable a crocodile, they could probably inflict serious internal injuries by striking and they also have the ability to grasp.

Though far smaller,  Chimapzees are incredibly strong and extremely ferocious when enraged. I can only imagine the strength  and ferocity of a gorilla.  Then factor in that gorillas are intelligent and that other members of the family group may aid the one being attacked.

A 20feet croc will look like this against a human.A Gorilla is as big as a man but built stockier and much stronger but will not all be a match for a Salt water crocodile 23 feet long.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 03:41
Large Salt water crocs are known to ambush Waterbuffaloes and Gaurs which would weigh nearly 1000Kg then drown them  and feed.A Gorilla which weighs only 200-250 kg will never be able to hold a large croc back.A croc normally ambushes and catches the prey which approaches the water for drinking or crossing over.Then it pulls the prey to deeper waters and drowns it.Similarly it will hold the Gorilla and drowns it before eating it.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 10:40
Originally posted by ranjithvnambiar

Large Salt water crocs are known to ambush Waterbuffaloes and Gaurs which would weigh nearly 1000Kg then drown them  and feed.A Gorilla which weighs only 200-250 kg will never be able to hold a large croc back.A croc normally ambushes and catches the prey which approaches the water for drinking or crossing over.Then it pulls the prey to deeper waters and drowns it.Similarly it will hold the Gorilla and drowns it before eating it.
I would not count our fellow mammals out....

Though huge, both of those animals probably  have a hard time regaining their feet once knocked down.  Since they are not predators themselves, they may go into shock after a point. Gorillas have a much more versatile anatomy and maybe more resistant to shock.

A gorilla may even be stronger pound for pound than a crocodile.  Though an extremely large crocodile can overwhelm a gorilla, I bet gorillas have a fairly good chance to break free against most crocodiles.  As the crocodile site mentions:

"Hit the animal on the nose which is their sensitive point. Poke then in the eyes and scream a lot. The animals do not like resistance or loud noise."

Any crocodile that grabs a gorilla is going to experience plenty of noise and resistance, especially considering that gorillas may prefer to gouge eyes and have a grasping, tearing ability against a croc's nostrils. 

And another contender against a huge crocodile......

Alaskan Grizzly bear.  Very aggressive and very strong animals that are used to water.  The largest weigh 682 kilograms.  They have been known to decapitate a man with one swipe of their paws.

Edited by Cryptic - 20-Oct-2010 at 13:02
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 19:40
The strength of the arms, hands and jaws of a fullly grown gorilla are something of the imagination! They are horrendusly strong!

Thus, considering a particular of the attack, I.e. the Croc attacking the gorilla, then it might well depend upon the possible leverage advantage that the gorilla might obtain?

If indeed he or she was able to get some control of the mouth and head of the Croc, then it is possible that a combination of adrenalen and brute strength due to the fight or die syndrome, that the gorilla might well enable itself to extracate itself from the powerful jaws of the croc?

But, like all things considered at places like this, it is mostly in the imagination of the writer!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 23:40
I dont think that a gorilla will be attacked face to face by a Croc.It will be ambushed when it is crossing the water body or approaches the waterbody which is the Crocodile territory.The crocodile will grab and hold on to whatever part it is holding to and take the shocked gorilla to deeper waters and hold it still underwater.It is a rare possibility for the gorilla to even understand what has grabbed it and before it can understand anything it will be taken to deep waters and drowned.After understanding what ever had happened if at all the gorilla fights back also it is in deep trouble even if it gets released from the crocs mouth it has to swim back and on the way back there is a high probability that it will be again attacked.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2010 at 23:49
A grizzly can give a real hard time to a large crocs.Even tigers and leopards are known to kill medium sized & small crocs.A Tigress Machli of Ranthambore National park of Rajastan India is known to hunt crocs(Mugger Crocodile).It is known that it has killed crocodile that are 14feet long.Forests of
Sundarban delta is known to have the highest density of Tiger population in the World.Sundarbans is a Saltwater Crocodile territory too.Tigers are good swimmers and they are seen swimming(often video taped) from one island to other (ie 700m to 1 Km).Crocodiles are not known to attack tigers.May be because of their claws and canines.Same is applicable in case of a Grizzly too.So chances are very less for  croc to attack a grizzly.Even if attacked,the grizzly will injure the croc severely.
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2010 at 22:46
This is an impractical question. There are simply too many intangibles to solve for. What is the weight discrepancy of the Croc to the Shark? Where is the battleground? is the water murky? is the water shallow? This is like trying to solve for X when there are 10 variables.
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2010 at 00:51
Originally posted by TheOrcRemix

This is an impractical question. There are simply too many intangibles to solve for. What is the weight discrepancy of the Croc to the Shark? Where is the battleground? is the water murky? is the water shallow? This is like trying to solve for X when there are 10 variables.

Weight ratio has been given in my earlier mails and scenario can be any you may need to go through all the posts to have a better understanding.It defnitely is not like solving x when there are 10 variables
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2010 at 14:42
Weight ratio has been given in my earlier mails and scenario can be any you may need to go through all the posts to have a better understanding

You could of just said they are roughly the same size... (16-20)

It defnitely is not like solving x when there are 10 variables

Oh really? Can you please elaborate by what you mean by "Crocodile vs. Shark?" Is the winner determined by how strong they are, or perhaps how swift they can maneuver? Or is the winner declared by how many real-world victories?

If that is the case, then the answer has been solved. Case closed.

However, if one wants to look more in depth (which i believe what you want to do, you seem to be very intrigued by this topic), One must account for different factors.( i.e. Aggression, environmental factors, Group behaviors) to find the answer.

I feel like this question is a lot like that Spike TV show, "The Deadliest Warrior." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior).
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2010 at 15:03

I feel like this question is a lot like that Spike TV show, "The Deadliest Warrior." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior).

Though off topic, I am a Deadliest Warrior fanSmile.  Sure, the show had hype and shallow points, but it was also marketed as "edu-tainment", not "scholarly research".  The show also had many very good demonstrations of weapon / armour design and human martial arts abilities.

How come you do not like the show?

Edited by Cryptic - 25-Oct-2010 at 15:06
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2010 at 23:55

It's an entertaining show. I really do not like the individual(s) who talks about the weapons/warrior style of the warrior they represent. The show can be summed up in one sentence; "Who has the bigger "Johnson?" Wink
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 11:23

[quote] The show can be summed up in one sentence; "Who has the bigger "Johnson?" Wink
I agree, but I still hope it runs a few more seasons.  I mean, where else can you watch somebody try (and fail) to cut through European chain mail with a Japanese Katana?
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 13:22

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2010 at 15:53
PakistaniShield, for some reason the video will not or can not be shown due to the request of the poster!

Can you give us the details?

Never mind, I finally saw that it was merely a made up video!

Edited by opuslola - 26-Oct-2010 at 16:08
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
PakistaniShield View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote PakistaniShield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2010 at 16:06
you can open it and check it on youtbe. while the scenario was recreated using CGI it was based on a real fight. i think the real thing was too graphic to meet youtube's guideline's; hence recreated in 3D format
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ranjithvnambiar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 03:53
Originally posted by Cryptic

Though off topic, I am a Deadliest Warrior fanSmile.  Sure, the show had hype and shallow points, but it was also marketed as "edu-tainment", not "scholarly research".  The show also had many very good demonstrations of weapon / armour design and human martial arts abilities.

Yesterday I saw Spartan warrior Vs. Ninja.But it seems to be  a fight of the participants rather than between spartans & ninjas.Those who argues and proves his point will win not spartan warrior or ninja
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by ranjithvnambiar

Yesterday I saw Spartan warrior Vs. Ninja.But it seems to be  a fight of the participants rather than between spartans & ninjas.Those who argues and proves his point will win not spartan warrior or ninja
True, but there is some good historical information about weapons and some interesting demonstrations.  As a side note, there is a Sikh verse Roman episode.  But... the show was mis-identifying the Sikhs as a RajputsOuchConfusedEmbarrassed.

www.spike.com/blog/deadliest-warrior/95779

Edited by Cryptic - 28-Oct-2010 at 14:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>