Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boxing, Ireland-1870-1890 Who knows-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boxing, Ireland-1870-1890 Who knows-
    Posted: 26-Jul-2010 at 09:42
A good source or sources for archived fight records from that era. Ireland is where I am looking first, then England. 
I'm looking for anything on Thomas Jennings, or as his ring name was- "Captain Tom Jennings".  About the only stat I have comes through oral hist.  His last win and supposed last fight went 87 rounds.  That's the era I'm researching,Confused 87 rounds, no gloves, just heavy canvas rapping.  Also, most fights were held outside, no tent no nothing.  Tom Jennings was a relative, but apparently no one in the family has a photo of him.  I'll settle for stats.  Pictures are too much to even contemplate.

Edited by red clay - 26-Jul-2010 at 09:43
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2010 at 19:11

I am a boxing fan and have read about some of the U.S. fighters from that era, but none of the European ones. 

Maybe try E-mailing this man.  He is the archivist at the Irish Amateur Boxing Association.  The link describes him interviewing several Irish boxing greats.  Maybe he has the information or knows where to look.

Also, try contacting the curator of this traveling museum of Irish Boxing history.  Their extensive exhibits apparently include the mummified arm of an Irish boxing great.  I mean, I am a boxing fan, but that is a little extreme (unless he had an incredible right cross Wink)

Edited by Cryptic - 26-Jul-2010 at 19:35
 Post Reply Post Reply