Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History as no one else knows!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History as no one else knows!
    Posted: 20-Aug-2010 at 17:14
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

It is trivial becaue your debating semantics that arent even relavent. There are not ties of vassalage between Al-Kamil and Frederick II, no personal oaths of loyalty and subserviance, Frederick's entire career shows that he serves no man. Also even if your argum,ent were true and had any basis, which it doesnt, simply being granted permission to enter does not a vassal make. The city itself was returned to the Franks by the treaty in February 1229, it was in their posession again. Frederick only enters the city in March 1229 after it has been returned. Frederick didnt need permission to enter the city, because it was his as King of Jerusalem. He didnt need to ask permission of Al-Kamil because it was no longer under muslim control. It ws his city, under his control. Not vassalage.

I sort of figured you would respond in such a manner!    But relevancy that I see, may not be relevant to you since you follow the consensually approved version of the past whereas, I do not!

Following your rules, we must consider that the Muslim leader(s) just moved out of the way in Jerusalem (one of there most holy of cities) and welcomed the infidels to go where ever they wanted! Of course no one has ever seen a copy of the so called treaty, and thus we only know of it as a "treaty" via Christian sources! Thus most of what you use as "fact" is, again, only ancedotal material!

Again your very quotation betrays you!

Where are the Islamic sources? If some exist, just how ancedotal are they?

You see semantics are sometimes relevant and sometimes not! Via semantics, I conclude that a "King of Jerusalem" cannnot really be considered one if the King does not control Jerusalem!

Thus, for reasons unknown to modern historians, like yourself, the Islamic authorities in Egypt, gave Fred a reason to be able to brag that he had restored Jerusalem to Christianity! But, we do not know just what price Fred actually paid?

Perhaps it was hundreds of thousands of Sous!/ Dinars / Sheckels, etc.? Perhaps it was a promise that Christian Europe and its Christian allies in the Levant, whould not raise any arms against Egypt or Islam for ten years?

Your words, from the above; "There are not ties of vassalage between Al-Kamil and Frederick II, no personal oaths of loyalty and subserviance, Frederick's entire career shows that he serves no man."

Yes a good retort, but Fred was in somewhat of a quandry concerning his relationship with the Pope and Rome in general! Thus, to be able to return into the good graces of "your Grace" himself, there is little to argue about, if Fred did indeed place a "personal oath of loyalty between himself and Al-Kamil!" If indeed he did so, there is little way anyone other than the two leaders knew of it, or if there was a signed document, there was little reason for Fred to keep his copy! After all, he was the "Holy Roman Emperor!"

"Denial, is not a river in Egypt!"

Perhaps, "perhaps", is the most apt word here?

Thanks for your always, well considered replies!

Edited by opuslola - 20-Aug-2010 at 17:22
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 08:04
Here we go again.

"Following your rules, we must consider that the Muslim leader(s) just moved out of the way in Jerusalem (one of there most holy of cities) and welcomed the infidels to go where ever they wanted! Of course no one has ever seen a copy of the so called treaty, and thus we only know of it as a "treaty" via Christian sources! Thus most of what you use as "fact" is, again, only ancedotal material! "

They did, most unhappy though they were, having ceeded Jerusalem attacks upon it by disatisfied muslims began immediately. There are accounts of the treaty, who call it such in Muslim sources. Ibn al Athir and Inb Wasil. So your argument there is completely undone

Are you a massive Post Modernist? Your continued reference to anecdotal clearly betrays your ignorance of historical craft and historiographical matters.

"You see semantics are sometimes relevant and sometimes not! Via semantics, I conclude that a "King of Jerusalem" cannnot really be considered one if the King does not control Jerusalem!"

Again you fail to understand simple concepts. Titular. Its not Jerusalem per say but rather the Kingdom of Jerusalem as well, the Kingdom remains if the city does not. What is in the power of a name after all. 

"Yes a good retort, but Fred was in somewhat of a quandry concerning his relationship with the Pope and Rome in general! Thus, to be able to return into the good graces of "your Grace" himself, there is little to argue about, if Fred did indeed place a "personal oath of loyalty between himself and Al-Kamil!" If indeed he did so, there is little way anyone other than the two leaders knew of it, or if there was a signed document, there was little reason for Fred to keep his copy! After all, he was the "Holy Roman Emperor!" "

Irrelavent. Hitler had a secret personal oath of loyalty to Stalin, but we shall never know becuase only those two would be aware and dint leave any incriminatiing documents behind. Honestly now. Can you provide any evidence to back up such a claim regarding Frederick and Al-Kamil....no....no you cant. Your simply being fesecious. Stop it. Besides the reutnr of Jerusalem did not place Frederick in Gregory IX's good books, it was detrimental if anything, Gregory had attempted to sabotage efforts in Outremer to minimise Frederick's achievements there. Because if Frederick were to succeed, which he did, then it would be, and it was, a massive blow to papal prestiege and authority.

Your knowledge of the medieval and understanding of concepts of feudalims and vassalage is substandard or non existant.

Now cease in your aimless trolling and produce something constructive.

Edited by DreamWeaver - 21-Aug-2010 at 13:57
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2010 at 17:16
Dear DW, I was not being facetious! At least I don't think the meaning of this word describes my actions?

And yes, it raised Fred's "prestige" in the entire Christian World!

Two men, vying for power in the Western World, and only one could win!

I am sorry you had to resort to name calling and insults due to my last response! Perhaps carrying on a nice conversation is not "your cup of tea?"

"Main Entry: fa·ce·tious
Pronunciation: \fə-ˈsē-shəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French facetieux, from facetie jest, from Latin facetia
Date: 1599
1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : waggish <just being facetious>
2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious <a facetious remark>

synonyms see witty

— fa·ce·tious·ly adverb

— fa·ce·tious·ness noun"

While I enjoy being "witty" I was certainly not being "witty" when I made the post that seems to have driven you "over the wall!"

Ta ta!,

Edited by opuslola - 21-Aug-2010 at 17:19
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2010 at 07:04
Like a rocket over your head as per many other matters
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2010 at 22:27
Your rockets, ducking, I am!

Sounds sort of familar, it does!

"And the Rockets red glare, the bombs, bursting in air, gave proof thru the night, that the "Flag" was still there!

Oh, say can you see",, etc.!

Thanks for the entre'!

A little bit of Welsh humor! Please look up the name in Welsh which in English is Hughes? Ap?

Edited by opuslola - 22-Aug-2010 at 22:29
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2010 at 21:06
DW also posted above;

"Again you fail to understand simple concepts. Titular. Its not Jerusalem per say but rather the Kingdom of Jerusalem as well, the Kingdom remains if the city does not. What is in the power of a name after all."

OK! You are able to make a disinction between a "Kingdom of Jerusalem" and a "Kingdom of Jerusalem", without Jerusalem? You must be amongst the wisest persons alive back then, to make such a suggestion, since the very city of Jerusalem, was the ultimate prize! The ultimate "Holy site", the "EVERYTHING!"

Yet, you call it a "simple concept", and it might well be one in todays light, but I can assure you it was not at or during those times!

You know, whilst I totally respect your "book knowledge" of these times, I fail to see that you have ever learned to "take in the times" into your conjectures or rather your posts?

But, my respects for your knowledge!

Your disrespect is both expected and required by those of you who tend to follow our current time-line of the past! In most cases, it is tied to your belief of superiority over anyone who challenges the "consensual" view of our past and history!

As well, you are young and just nearing your real potential, whilst, I am old and well past my prime!

Just keep reading my posts if nothing else?

Regards and prosit/prost! (depends upon which part of Germany you like!)

By the way, just how much have you travelled upon the contintent? I have seen but a little of England, buy a touch of France, and Spain, as well as a lot of Italy, and Germany, plus some Greece, Turkey, and Israel to boot!

Thus, I have visited London, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisboa, Paris, Monte Carlo, Nice, Leghorn, Maintz, Ulm, Bad Homburg, all of the German and Austrian Olympic Alps, as well as Munich, and those great little towns on the Romantic Road, as well as Saltzburg, Florenza, Roma, Napoli, Venice, Padua, Athens, Ephesus, and Istanbul! (of course I left out a number of places of interest, since I travelled a lot of it via roadways! Other parts were via the Sea!)

What is your background?

Sorry to ask, but it makes one think!

I have also been blessed with some travel to the Orient! As well as 44 of the 50 States, but I have also been to Puerto Rico, and the VI, as well as other places in the Carib., and Mexico! Strangely, I have never been within Canada!

Edited by opuslola - 27-Aug-2010 at 21:33
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2010 at 21:52
Yawn. (for there is no emoticon)

I would propose that I have taken in the times considerably.

Ive travelled enough. Unsurprisingly though the UK since I live here. France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal Italy, Greece, Egypt, Tunisia, China, Hong Kong and Russia Im afraid I have only has the pleasure of Florida, Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. Is this about penises? It better not be.

Edited by DreamWeaver - 28-Aug-2010 at 08:03
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2010 at 20:00
DW wrote;

"Is this about penises? It better not be."

NO, no, DW, it is not about penises! Everyone knows that an English penius is larger than a Welsh one! After all the Welsh received many more of them as prizes during the many wars between the two!

Glad you have also had the ability to do some travel! It is all too rare today!

May I ask your favorite place? Or if that is a question that is too hard to answer, as it might well be for me, then a petite list of your favorite places?

Concerning your mention of titular;

http://www.ask.com/web?q=dictionary%3A+titular&content=ahdict%7C50917&o=101881&l=dis

I would guess you infer that rather undistinct meaning, as being "in title only?" I would guess the word came from a "rubber nipple" used to suggest a "tit" "in name only?"

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 28-Aug-2010 at 20:05
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2010 at 08:21
Beijing
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2010 at 17:18
Peking, a great choice! Wish I had been there? But, being Politically Incorrect, might have caused me the chance?

Funny, I don't think I have ever seen Beijing Duck on a menue!

But, I rarely eat a Chinese places which actually serve the dish!

I would be hard pressed to make just one distinction, but Paris might well have been my favorite city? But the last time I was there was in 1971! Very few Moslems there then! Perhaps it makes some difference today? Hong Kong in 1971 was also spectactular! The "Charlie, Charlie" approach to the old airport was wonderful!

But, in a general since, my voyage via the Grand Princess Cruise Ship, across the entire Med., from Barcelona to Istanbul, was perhaps my greatest adventure ever?

I would everyone on this site could also have a chance to experience it!

But, this entire thread has tended to get well away from the title, so I will stop at this point!
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2010 at 16:34
Back to my basic premise, I will offer you this site;

http://reverso2.com/ri45r/ASP/url/result.asp?directions=1034$1033$1&autotranslate=on&motsinconnus=false&templates=General&url=http://www.berenguerderocafort.com/

And this connecting one;

http://www.berenguerderocafort.com/devils.htm

I certainly feel that the area we refer to as Greece today, was considerably different in the past than the Greece we refer today!

There seems to have existed some basic connection of medieval Greece and the Almogavers of Spain, and the Knights Templar?

Perhaps one of you knows the connections or answers?

All I can do is posit sites whereby some one might make a connection, or even a paper for consideration of graduation?

The very name of one of the most famous leaders of the Catalan Company in Eastern Europe and Greece, is Roger/Rogier de"Flor or even Rogier vonBlum(e)!"

One can also very well consider that this name could also easily be translated as "Of Florence/Forenzia", etc.!

One must as well know that I consider the words "Gautier, and variants to Waltier or Walter, etc." as also names of a position rather than the name of a person proper!

And, as well Flor(ence) means "flower" and "flower" is the first word of the famous symbol of both France and Flanders called the "Fleur de Lis/Lys, etc.!"

Roger?

Edited by opuslola - 31-Aug-2010 at 17:11
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2010 at 21:30
You might well want to consider this?

http://reverso2.com/ri45r/ASP/url/result.asp?directions=1034$1033$1&autotranslate=on&motsinconnus=false&templates=General&url=http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernat_de_Rocafort

It is, I am afraid, a bad translation, but it might well give some one of you some clues?

As might this, which has no translation associated;

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Compa%C3%B1%C3%ADa_Catalana

And this;
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducado_de_Atenas

And this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_III_of_St_Omer

Whom Fomenko would likely support as the author of the Illiad, etc.!

From the above post you will see this;

"When Philip left later that year for Italy, to settle his claim to Piedmont, Nicholas was appointed bailiff in his absence."

I would suggest that you compare the word "Bailiff" with "Sheriff", as well as "Gautier" or "Waltier", etc.?

Then you look for these words (meaning the same thing) within the so called names of others!

Also you might read this?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06624b.htm

Just how many ways can one spell "Hughes?"

Edited by opuslola - 31-Aug-2010 at 21:54
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2010 at 22:02
One might well also look to this site;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_V_of_Aragon

Where, if you are a believer in true Latin, you might well see this section?

"Like a true prince of the Renaissance he favoured men of letters whom he trusted to preserve his reputation to posterity. He founded the Academy of Naples under Giovanni Pontano and, for his entrance in the city in 1443, had a magnificent triumphal arch added to the main gate of Castel Nuovo. This edifice, considered the most important civil piece of art of the time, was designed by Francesco Laurana. His devotion to the classics was exceptional even for the time.

For example, Alfonso halted his army in pious respect before the birthplace of a Latin writer, carried Livy or Caesar on his campaigns with him, and his panegyrist Panormita even stated that the king was cured of an illness when a few pages of Quintus Curtius Rufus' history of Alexander the Great were read to him. However, the classics had not refined his taste, for he was amused by setting itinerant scholars, who swarmed to his court, to abuse one another in the indescribably filthy Latin scolding matches which were then the fashion."

All I can do when reading the above is to laugh!

I.e., "the indescribably filthy Latin scolding matches which were then the fashion."

Can any of you imagine such?

Edited by opuslola - 31-Aug-2010 at 22:03
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2010 at 13:11
By Yog-Sothoth get to the point!

Curently you are just going about in pointless and self evident word connections.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2010 at 16:21
God, you are irritating! Always prompting me to get to the point!

By the way "The Point" a made for TV cartoon production, with songs and lyrics by the late and great musician, song writer Harry Nilsson, is a wonderful example of good TV! A must watch by everyone, and especially everyone with a child! Ca. 1974!
There I go again, not getting to the "Point!"

Sorry DW, but my "point" is so complicated and involved that I just cannot come right out and "point" it out to you or anyone else! I'm not even sure that I know it!

But, if you have read most all of my postings on this site, and especially in the "Alternative history" section, then you must know that it has to concern the position of A. Fomenko, etal!

So, to enable me to make a point of some kind, I would need to know, just what do you know about Fomenko, and his/their theory?

A PM would probably be preferable to both you and me!

I do seem to have developed some refinement of the theory, as well some types of proof!

It would do your career little good to become outwardly interested in the theory however! As long as you stay incognito, you should be OK!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2010 at 18:07
I am aware of Fomenko, he is an idiot when it comes to history. His theory is bollocks quite frankly, he is insane. No matter how good his maths might be he is certainly no historian. Mathmaticians should stick to maths and historians to history.

Edited by DreamWeaver - 01-Sep-2010 at 18:11
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2010 at 20:16
DW wrote;

"I am aware of Fomenko, he is an idiot when it comes to history. His theory is bollocks quite frankly, he is insane."

So, I will have to assume that you have not read one word of his multiple books? Since your reaction is exactly the same as others who have yet to read anything by him and is consorts!

Is there really such a thing as "mass hysteria?"    I never thought so until the word Fomenko is used around an historian!

Gee, one would suspect that to have that kind of reaction to a simple theory, one must have been thoroughly immersed in the study of the theory? But, perhaps not?

So quickly go before your academic counselor and confess your crimes! Then beg forgiveness? I know they will be shocked to know that you even spelled the word Fomenko, but I am sure you will not be kicked out of school, for such a small mistake!

So, go proudly back into those hallowed halls of education, where new ideas are easily discussed in an open and fair display of facts and theory!

Sorry DW, I just could resist the opportunity to impugn the educational system as it really exists, which is mostly a closed society of stuck up snobs, etc.

Go in peace!

Edited by opuslola - 01-Sep-2010 at 20:18
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2010 at 07:20
I have researched enough into Formenko to gain an understandingof his crap theories and how immensely invadiated it is.

You have a massive chip on your shoulder about academia dont you. Insecurities coming through there. What did Academics kill your family or something?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2010 at 17:45
I actually grew up on a college campus, and received a BS degree from same! I attended grammar and middle school on the same campus, with the children various professors as my class mates!

We were a very potent and sometimes evil team! We even had an important job at that time! We were the final line in those college students who wanted or desired to become a teacher, had to go thru to graduate!

We made numerous candidates change their major! And, of that, I am proud that I helped wean the system of stupidity, and weakness!

But, brother DW, just how did your love affair with academics began and how is it now?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2010 at 08:09
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

I have researched enough into Formenko to gain an understandingof his crap theories and how immensely invadiated it is.

You have a massive chip on your shoulder about academia dont you. Insecurities coming through there. What did Academics kill your family or something?

I find it amusing that whenever anyone responds to Fomenko's idiocy in a negative light, then they haven't read Fomenko's gargle.  Not only are his ideas crap but he then goes on to try and prove his nuttiness by using statistical equations.  The problems arise when you try and use those same equations to prove his math.  DWNH!!!! [Don't Work No How]

What did Academics kill your family or something?  Big smileLOLLOLClap

No, he was gang audited by Hells Accountants.  The more educated you are, the less likely you are to believe this stuff. 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>