Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2010
    Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 07:57
Whose watching?
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 12:12
I give up, who?

Hey, I'm still recovering from the Stanley cup.Cry  Man, the Flyers must have gotten lessons in cardiac corners from the Phils.  But hey, they slipped into the playoffs by the skin of their butts, put down the top seeded team in four straight after being down 3 games to zip  and took it all the way through 6 games, not bad for a team that had been put out of mind by most.

On topic, what teams are picked to have a chance? 

Edited by red clay - 11-Jun-2010 at 12:16
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 12:16
Argæææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææææntina : D
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 12:18
Sounds like somebody has a fav. team. Okay which 8 teams are favored?
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Azadi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
retired AE moderator

Quote Azadi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 12:25
No European team have won the WC outside Europe, but in this WC they just might...

Brazil, Germany, England, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Uruguay, Ivory Coast ?

Edited by Azadi - 11-Jun-2010 at 12:25
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2010 at 12:28
Im thinking probably spain or Brazil. Portugal has a good chance, I'm rooting for Germany. Argentina hasnt been doing well recently, neither has France.
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2010 at 21:44
I think Italy, Spain or Argentina will get the cup
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 06:56
A few scores  :

Netherlands-Danmark 2-0 Approve

Italy- Paraguy 1-1. Reigning world champion Italy does not convince. 

Big surprises :

Japan-Cameroon 1-0 

New Zealand-Slowakia. 1-1.  Shocked 

Nobody would have given New Zealand a chance. Well done.

Edited by Sander - 15-Jun-2010 at 06:57
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 06:57
Germany has been the only impressive team so far. We have to see how Brazil, Spain and Portugal perform.
Night Crawler View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Night Crawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2010 at 11:40
England will bounce back--I think they were looking past the Yanks--The Yanks played as a team, and realized all they have to do is keep it close.

Edited by Night Crawler - 15-Jun-2010 at 11:40
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 16:05
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Germany has been the only impressive team so far. We have to see how Brazil, Spain and Portugal perform.

Not in the game against Serbia ;)
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 16:49
Me? I feel strongly a number of ways!

In other words, I don't give a carp in a trout stream about it!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2010 at 21:08
Argentine seems to be the best team so far, European teams have not worked well.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2010 at 02:37
In general, in the best teams play too many stars. They dont really care much about the cup, they earn money playing in their clubs. They dont want to get any injuries and that is probably reason why european national teams play worse football than they can. On the other hand its hard to not notice that in the matter of strategy and tactics of the game, european teams are still on top, while for example african teams that have many good players are mostly out. It is also woth to remember that many of those teams want simply to qualify to the next round, and that real competition will begin with the play off.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2010 at 09:07
Originally posted by Mosquito

In general, in the best teams play too many stars. They dont really care much about the cup, they earn money playing in their clubs. They dont want to get any injuries and that is probably reason why european national teams play worse football than they can.

Not true at all. Its every soccer players dream to win a world cup, thats top of the top, it is the culmination of everything they work so hard for. Hell, they are more likely to get injured playing for their club than playing in the world cup.

On the other hand its hard to not notice that in the matter of strategy and tactics of the game, european teams are still on top, while for example african teams that have many good players are mostly out. It is also woth to remember that many of those teams want simply to qualify to the next round, and that real competition will begin with the play off.

The European teams havent been very impressive so far, unless they were playing against a really really bad team. African teams are very athletic but I agree, they still have to work on a lot of things.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2010 at 11:26

Not true at all. Its every soccer players dream to win a world cup, thats top of the top, it is the culmination of everything they work so hard for. Hell, they are more likely to get injured playing for their club than playing in the world cup.

A very romantic viev of football......
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2010 at 16:38
No one is forced to be in the World Cup, they all volunteer to join the teams if they are accepted. Also, they are more likely to get hurt playing for their club teams than at the world cup.

So you are wrong in saying that they dont want to win the cup and you are wrong in saying that they dont try their best in fear of getting injured.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 23-Jun-2010 at 16:39
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2010 at 20:43

A very romantic viev of football......

Romantic? No, It's a realistic view.  Every athlete, no matter money, has the dream, The World Series, the Super Bowl etc.  It takes more than money to motivate someone to achieve that level of excellence and then maintain it for 8-12 years.  A friend played OT in the NFL for 11 years, helping him to stand up and move to the tub so his wife could pack him in ice on monday mornings and     watching what he went through to loosen up enough to make practice, told me it wasn't money, it was much deeper. Whether or not he would admit it, it was "the Dream" the competitors internal drive to be the very best.
He had been there one time, The Super Bowl.  Even after 11 years, he still wanted it again.

The WC has been the dream of every footballer in every little podunk country, as well as the major powers, since it began.

Unknown.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 09:52
i do not agree with above statements

All the best football players play in the european clubs and there they earn their millions of euros. I do not say that WC are not important, but they do get much more for winning champions league or getting good position in it, than for winnin WC or getting good position there. Whats more, some of them earn even bigger money for just being a superstars and playing in advertisements.

The players from poorer teams do get opportunity to show themselves to everyone, but those who already are superstars and earn millions a year care more for their clubs than for their national teams. Winning or loosing in their national team wont change their position for better or worse but getting injured might cost them millions. And there were many top players in the history of football who didnt care much for their national teams or even didnt play in them. Also some countries that had a lot of very good players had problems with them, because they all felt like super stars, playing for the different clubs were not able to cooperate for national team.  I remember when years ago Holland had probably the best players from the best football clubs but they were not able to play together.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2010 at 14:04
Slovakia won with Italy and Japan won with Denmark, Danes and Italians are out! Incredible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>