Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese gods/Pantheons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese gods/Pantheons
    Posted: 13-May-2010 at 20:19
Are there gods in Chinese culture that have been abandoned like the Greek pantheons.

I am writing a fantasy novel featuring Chinese gods. however being Asian, I have to respect the gods that are worshipped and since I dun have the liberty with Gods that Marvel has with Thor.
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 09:37
I dont believe you can really compare Chinese 'religion' in the same way to say a Greek Pantheon.

China is a land of many religions (Taoism, Cuddhism, Confucianism, regional/ethnic religous practices etc) and philosophies and 1 single pantheon is not per say a dominant or continuous feature that could so easily fit or be described, unlike a Roman-Greco Pantheon.

I suppose Taoism  is probably what you want to look at.
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2010 at 18:36
What of the 3 Sovereigns and 5 Kings? Dun the chinese have a creation myth that dates back to the Stone Age?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 10:52
The 5 Emperors and 3 pre-Imperial Dynastues you mean? Though the 5 emperors (Huangdi, Zhuan Xu, Yao, Shun and Yu) combined both divine and human essence. Yu by passing rulership onto his son thus lead to the foundation of the Xia dynasty, followed by the Shang and Zhou.

To my knowledge, there is no actual creator god in chinese mythology. The universe and the world was not created so much as it came into existance. Pan Gu an original spirit in his death is credited with the creation of wind, mountains starts etc, but the world and heavens existed before him.
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2010 at 18:48
Hmm but Pan Gu was a later creation right? What of Nu Wa, Fuxi and Shen Nong?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2010 at 12:00
As far as I understand yes he was a later creation.

As for the Three Sovereigns (August Ones) a demo god like god kings that predate the Xia Dynasty. They are themselves supposed to be heroes and benevolent rulers in a 'mythical time' itself.

Huangdi the Yellow Emperor developed into a principal deity for Taoism.

Im afraid with that I run to then end of my understanding of the matter, cant really add too much more there Im afraid. But I dont think you can really compsre them to a Romano-Greco Pantheon.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2010 at 15:34
Originally posted by Willard

Are there gods in Chinese culture that have been abandoned like the Greek pantheons.

Probably, but these pantheons may not be truly Chinese.  It maybe difficult to find abandoned pantheons with Han Chinese because they have about 4,000 years of cultural continuity. 

There are minority groups in Yunan, Szechuan and other provinces who had their own pantheons prior to being absorbed by the Han Chinese. Some of these groups have been absorbed in the last few centuries so information about their abandoned pantheons may exist.

If nobody here as any information, try asking at chinahistoryforum.com.  As the name implies, the site's speciality is Chinese History. But.....  Please stick around here as wellWink.  

Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Huangdi the Yellow Emperor developed into a principal deity for Taoism.
I think other Taoist deities developed from ancient sages said to have obtained imortality from perfect meditative practice. (Lao Tzu and about five or six others)  

Edited by Cryptic - 17-May-2010 at 09:18
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2010 at 16:47
No problem, I have joined that. I even share the same homeland as the admin of that forum.

So Pan Gu is from what I heard wasn't alone right? There were 4 beasts with him. What were they?

Edited by Willard - 16-May-2010 at 16:47
xu huang View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote xu huang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 22:32
Pan Gu was aided by the Turtle, Qilin (麒麟), Pheonix  (鳳凰) and the Dragon (龍). I don't think the Turtle is 玄武, though.
Military intelligence, 2 words combined that don't make sense
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2010 at 22:37
Hmm ok btw has anyone heard of the Epic Of Darkness which was regarded as China's most ancient myth or the Chinese version of Genesis.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 19:13
I have never heard of this myth. 

I have read some of Joseph Campbell's books, but he seemed to focus most of his myth comparison studies on near eastern and european cultures.
xu huang View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote xu huang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 19:19
Wikipedia has an entry about Epic Of Darkness.

I did not know this existed until Willard pointed it out.
Military intelligence, 2 words combined that don't make sense
Willard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2010 at 20:01
Wow this is amazing. I was thinking for 5000 years the chinese culture should have a creation myth uninfluenced by outside influence.
dick View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2010 at 17:02
Originally posted by Willard

I am writing a fantasy novel featuring Chinese gods. however being Asian, I have to respect the gods that are worshipped and since I dun have the liberty with Gods that Marvel has with Thor.
Its not like Chinese in China today actually do that at all. I mean try some real live series, these gods were distorted beyond proportion, much more than marvel Thor.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 05:54

[/QUOTE]
Its not like Chinese in China today actually do that at all. I mean try some real live series, these gods were distorted beyond proportion, much more than marvel Thor.[/QUOTE]

Im not so sure, I think you under estimate the Chinese
RollingWave View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote RollingWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 19:46

There is myth on the Chinese Pantheons, but its more of a folktale thing, it's not something that is deeply tied together with the entire ruling class like the Greek mythology was with the Greek city states.

The true center of Chinese religion center revolve around ancestral worship. that is the one true common ground for everything. the Emperor's worship revolve around his ancestor's spirits and the heaven and earth. 

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2010 at 00:43
You might consider figures such as Chi-You as a representative of a "forgotten god".   Or even Yan as a defeated god.

Actually, you won't find much about gods in Daoism - Dao De Jing is a metaphysical text on philosophy rather than about gods.

The pantheons known today were mostly developments that matured in much later eras rather than antiquities.

Edited by snowybeagle - 10-Jun-2010 at 01:10
 Post Reply Post Reply