Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albania and Atropatene - Ancient Azerbaijan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SonOfIran View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SonOfIran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albania and Atropatene - Ancient Azerbaijan
    Posted: 29-Apr-2010 at 23:21
Do you have anymore info/pics of Qazaka?
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2010 at 10:27
Originally posted by opuslola

Albania (Scotland)
Alba, a Gaelic name for Scotland, may be related to the Greek name of Britain Albion, Latinized as Albania during the High Medieval period, and later passed into Middle English as Albany. Some recent scholarship has however connected it with one of the early names of Ireland, "Fodla", which is taken to mean (land of the) "going down" (of the Sun), in contrast to Alba which means (land of the) "rising" (of the Sun). This is consistent with one of the ancient emblems of Scotland consisting of a rising sun crossing the horizon, a symbol laden with much significance."
What about 'Avalon'. I keep seeing this name in ancient Celtic legends. Seems to me like it's a Celtic variant of the name 'Albion', but somehow with the consonants reversed, for some reason or other. 
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2010 at 14:12
Dear Sod! You do know that in England the word "sod" is a little demeaning?    So do not think that I am using it in that manner!

I have seen numerous cases where "b" and "v" are used indiscriminately! The same can be found in manny variaties of letters! But, we would have to go to etymology school to understand it all, I'm afraid!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12