Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal History - Where to start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ëperom View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ëperom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal History - Where to start
    Posted: 17-Mar-2010 at 15:01
Ok, first of all, let me say I really like the forum, and especially the forum's people :)

You are really helping me out, but I really feel like I know less than most people. I do know quite a bit on some really specific topics I researched (Jews serving in Nazi German armies, the ethnic origins of most nations in Europe, and so on). But I need to read something bigger I think.

I'm 16 so I have history in my school, that it's a private one but still, what I learn there it's basically simple stuff, it's not what I want. So I guess I'll have to research on my own.

My interests are basically the Old World and specifically Europe. I also like the history of the Americas and obviously Argentina, but I don't need help with that, what I need is to get a general collection of world history to review everything and then start to research about the specifics things I like. I would like a collections that includes everything, I know my grandfather has one that consists of 16 books in total but those are really, really old; historians may've discovered new things by now and I also like to have my own books.

So, is there any famous, classical collection? I just need names, I can research by my own. I need to get them in Spanish because I don't think it would be a good idea for me to read in English so many books where I can surely find good books in my native language. I don't mind reading single books in English but not an entire collection.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2010 at 16:01
Dear Eperom! I would suggest that your best chance to really read about history, would be to read about it in English and German!

From what I have seen, unless your target history has something to do with Spain or her colonies, etc., then Spanish translations of most important history books, are sparce! Of course any study of the Spanish-Habsburg Empire is most rewarding, and probably is accessible in Spanish?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Ëperom View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ëperom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 10:06
Thanks for your reply. If I must read in English I'll do it, but then I need titles, which collection do you recommend me?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2010 at 18:50
Dear Eperom!

There exists no "collection" of books that I could recommed! And, if I indeed recommended any group of books, they would by nature be prejudiced! That is my personal feeling would make any thing I could recommend to you, a part and parcel of my feelings and not yours!

So, if time is not that important, I would suggest you read the source material (if available) of any authors that you agree with! Then read the sources of the material and authors, with which you would disagree with! Then all you have to do is to disregard your petty beliefs and make some semblance of the mess that is left! Laugh!

All in all, it is not supposed to be a pretty sight! It is designed to provide you with the ability to "think for yourself!!!"

To quote an old phrase "To your own self, be true!", or at least words to that effect?

Regards, and good thinking,

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code Load New Code
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.