Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Strange Record for Snow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Strange Record for Snow
    Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 10:59
Yesterday was the first known time that every state [W/ exception of Hawaii] in the US had snow cover somewhere, Florida included.
One of the expected changes is a shorter but more intense and unpredictable winter.

BTW- For those of you who don't experience this natural wonder,Tongue all of that white stuff must be removed from your walks and drives. A drive that is 10x15 1 foot deep, with moderate moisture content, weighs approx. one ton.  You shovel that a couple times, and you will have the same less than enthusiastic attitude that I have.

This time I got lucky, my neighbor bought a new Snowblower. Big smile And no, the dog isn't much help.

Edited by red clay - 14-Feb-2010 at 11:18
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2010 at 11:37
Are you sure that there isn`t snow in Hawaii too? I think it`s very probably on Mauna Loa mountain. The fact of snowing in such a tropical state like Florida is really impressive. Sometimes there is snowing also in Sahara, but very rare. Less then once in every 20 years. I read about very deep snow into the East coast of USA and transport problems there. We have two years ago quite a deep snow here in Bulgaria. Over 1 meter in lowlands of North Bulgaria and over 2 meters in the mountains. Everything was blocked only army APC`s can move through the roads.

Tazjet View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tazjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2010 at 20:36
Bring on Global Warming I say...  I'm old enough now that I go to the beach where I went as a boy 40 plus years ago and the sea level is still the same and honestly, you get warm decades and then you get cool ones. 

In 2006 I think it was they found the skeleton of a 10,000 year old caucasian on the banks of the colombia river in Washington State. The world's climate must have been a lot warmer once for europeans to be walking around the Pacific northwest.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Are you sure that there isn`t snow in Hawaii too? I think it`s very probably on Mauna Loa mountain. The fact of snowing in such a tropical state like Florida is really impressive. Sometimes there is snowing also in Sahara, but very rare. Less then once in every 20 years. I read about very deep snow into the East coast of USA and transport problems there. We have two years ago quite a deep snow here in Bulgaria. Over 1 meter in lowlands of North Bulgaria and over 2 meters in the mountains. Everything was blocked only army APC`s can move through the roads.

The person who wrote the article was from the NOAA [Nat. Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and she even stated that she checked with Hawaii.  Whereas their mountains are high, they aren't high enough to counter the Tropical environment.

And in regards to Florida being tropical, the Southern 1/2 is.  The Northern and western most section, known as the Panhandle, has a more temperate climate. When you get into the higher elevations near the Georgia and Alabama boarders, it can get down into the teens.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2010 at 14:37
Dear red, and all!

I live about 1500 meters from the beach on the Mississippi Gulf Coast! I have seen the temperture fall low enough for the fresh water fish, which can live in salty water, to a "degree" actually froze in motion when the beach waters reached 32% F., and the salt water was still liguid!

About, 360 miles North, I have seen the temp. in Memphis, TN fall to -13F! I have also seen New Years Day on the Gulf Coast, in the 80%F range!

100-150 or so years ago, Orange trees and other citrus were grown most every where on the Gulf Coast! But, no longer!

Tell Al Gore and friends to look at temperature trends with a less prejudiced eye?

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 21-May-2010 at 14:37
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2010 at 05:05
Any drop in water temp. below 50f will cause fresh water fish to go "torpid".  Any pondkeeper in the Northeast can tell you it's not unusual.

I can also recall several years [late 60's early 70's] when we went caroling in our shirt sleeves and daffodils bloomed in Feb. and 50 years ago tobacco was grown everywhere on the Gulf Coast, so what.
Temperature and weather "trends" are something you talk about in terms of 2-3 years. What's happening now is much more than a "trend".

We have been spending our vacation time on Florida's "Forgotten Coast" since the early 90's.  When we first went there the Beaches on the barrier island that we stay on, were wide enough to make it a trip to get to the waters edge.
The guy who runs the beach rentals will tell you that the water level has come up to where they have lost 10-20 yards of beach in the last 10 years.  That's a hell of lot more than a "trend".

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2010 at 06:06
Dear tomato master;

I don't know why the guy would blame it on rising sea levels, it has been direct hits with hurricanes that have caused it! Water levels in our basins/marinas has not changed in any measurable degree!

Been travelling to or thru the Gulf coast since the fifties, and I don't think I have ever seen tobacco grown anywhere! Perhaps you meant to say fruit, like Oranges, etc.? I was even playing golf in Bayou LaBatre, AL in 1964 when Hurricane Betsy was lashing New Orleans!

When you say "Florida's Forgotten Coast", I would presume you are speaking of the area East of Panama City? (Although until the last 20 or so years, the area between PC and Destin was mostly deserted).

I have spent a lot of time in and around Apalachicola. In their 1976 telephone book, the telephone company was listed under "F" for "Fone" company!

Regards,
Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 13:47
They keep very precise records in that area.  It's part of the Chattahoochee System.  The static increase is approx. .9 ft in the last 15 years. The last direct hit on the island was 1987, I think.  Canes don't seem to hit that Area dead on often. 

Tobacco was grown All through Northern Florida.  Everywhere you can look there old tobacco drying barns.  It is the reason the soil is so fragile.  Cotton wore the soil out yes.  But tobacco for some reason takes the life out of the soil.
Louisiana also was a major tobacco producer.  Their crop was mainly tied up in the production of Perinque Tobacco.  Perinque is used to make Perinque tobacco liquor.  It's a native specie, found only on the Delta and surroundings.  Up until recently there was only one farm producing it.  There is now about 2000 acres and more folk have announced plans.  The liquor was brought back by the same guy that brought back Absinthe in a decently authentic form.  It's one of the top internet sellers.  Along with Hemp Seed Vodka and Cannabis Brandy.Big smile Ain't the internet wonderful?!

You may or may not be joking about the Fone Co. Doesn't matter.  In 1976 many rural areas did things like that.  2 main reasons, There were quite a few areas, even then, where the literacy rate was very low.  Phonetics was often used.  There were Phonetic street signs in Huntington WVa. as late as 1966-8.  Also, in many foreign countries thats how it's usually spelled.  Visitors recognize it easily.

BTW- The Forgotten Coast runs from Cedar Key through the Big Bend and ends pretty much around Cape San Blass, Port St. Joe. Anything past that going West is usually called the Emerald Coast.

Edited by red clay - 27-Jul-2010 at 13:59
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply