Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old castles in your country/region

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Vajra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old castles in your country/region
    Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 04:22

Raigad Fort ruins 1030 AD, India.

mokheve View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mokheve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 15:28
city of the dead(caucasus)

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2010 at 21:32
Originally posted by opuslola

The mention of the family who used the Raven as their symbol (Corvus, Corvin, Corvinus, etc.) is interesting. As I have suggested in other places, I feel this symbol, as sometimes, and mostly by accident, given the atrribution of being an Eagle! And, even the famous "bicephalous" ones!

Example; http://www.ville-munster68.fr/histoire_patrimoine/en/iso_album/aigle_bicephale_(gif)_1.gif

I make this statement because the Raven and its cousins, are the birds that first come to a battle field, to feed upon the dead! I even believe that they are also believed to eat the eyes of the dead first!

Needless to say such activities would have tended to make this strange and intelligent bird, attractive to warriors! And, thus to the adoption of this as a warrior symbol!

Just my two cents worth!

I again offer the above words, towards the last photos of the "City of the Dead", as seen above!

Were any eagles or corvus found in the above city?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2011 at 09:42
This is Colchester Castle. It was built in 1069 on the foundations of an ancient Roman temple using bricks and stone from ruined Roman buildings. During the Civil war Matthew Hopkins interrogated witches here and in 1648 two Cavaliers were executed after the castle's capture:
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2011 at 15:32

Arad fort in Bahrain. Built in the 15th century. Used by whoever was occupying Bahrain to defend it from invaders, including the Portuguese, Persians, Omanis, and locals.

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Athena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2011 at 18:06
The link will take you to images of the Hearst Castle in California, USA.  It is not old compared to everyone else's castles, and it was not needed for defense.   But it is a good example of what money can buy when you have enough of it. 

http://www.google.com/search?q=hearst+castle&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=4ba&sa=G&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&prmd=ivnsm&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=-BCNTZ67NZO4sQOW3sSNCQ&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1007&bih=582

And here is a castle in Oregon, only a few miles from where I live. 

http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/or_unk1.htm

Edited by Athena - 25-Mar-2011 at 18:22
sitalk View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote sitalk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2011 at 15:52
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 21:54
There seems to be no castle in China, maybe the Forbidden City?
Pellaeon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Pellaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2011 at 12:02
I live in central America... what castles?
mokheve View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote mokheve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2011 at 12:42

vardzia(XII century) georgia

rafiq View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rafiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 15:35

Balahisar Fort in Peshawar (Pakistan)

rafiq View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rafiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 15:43

Shahi Fort (Royal Fort) in Lahore (Pakistan)

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 18:08
Boy oh boy, have I enjoyed the posts above! It is wonderful!

The USA, has some forts, but they were mostly never tested in real battles. Thus I must resort to posting some fortresses in Europe. But forgive me, I know not how to transport photos to this site, so I will have to but give you the internet addresses.

I would suggest that all of you look up certain word searches, that include "fortress", "Vauban", etc.

So, I will mostly leave you to your own devices and search engines.

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 19:13
Originally posted by rafiq

Shahi Fort (Royal Fort) in Lahore (Pakistan)

Nice stuff. Welcome to the forum.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

xiaochun3612 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

spammer

Quote xiaochun3612 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2011 at 23:00
Thank you for sharing.

These pictures is so beautiful .

LOL
LOL 
Samuil View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Samuil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2011 at 05:08
Ohrid Castle in the region of Bulgaria, currently state of FYROM :

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:23

Norwich Castle started out as a motte and bailey built for William the Bastard. After it was rebuilt in stone imported from France it hosted Henry I before becoming a prison
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 20:07
http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/PA1443/

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Feb-2012 at 05:10
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Bonde20 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bonde20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2012 at 04:53
I like this thread. The only castle that I like here in my country (Finland) is Raseborgs slott (Raseborg Castle). It is now a restorated ruin.

History Student X View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote History Student X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2012 at 15:33
These are all great photos of historical architecture.  Too bad there is nothing like these where I live currently.  However, North American architecture is different from European so if there were castles, they would not look like these. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>