Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Dating / Base Years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Dating / Base Years
    Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:35
From my earlier post, I again ask this question;

"Can any of us actually point to the date that was (at one particular time) accepted as a starting point for our historians and chronoligsts to really date events in the past? This is a really serious question, since it really had to have occured!

After all, no Roman, nor Greek, nor Persian, nor Egyptian documents was ever found written as "XXXX BCE? Was there one? NO!

It could be argued that the dating of the birth of Christ might well be that date, but it seems that date itself is mythical as well!

So, just what event or a series of fully verifiable dates were used to first write our chronologies and histories with modern dates?"

Come on guys and gals! Just what is the date that "HAD TO BE ACCEPTED?"
Regards,

http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 17:52
Originally posted by opuslola

From my earlier post, I again ask this question;

"Can any of us actually point to the date that was (at one particular time) accepted as a starting point for our historians and chronoligsts to really date events in the past? This is a really serious question, since it really had to have occured!

After all, no Roman, nor Greek, nor Persian, nor Egyptian documents was ever found written as "XXXX BCE? Was there one? NO!

It could be argued that the dating of the birth of Christ might well be that date, but it seems that date itself is mythical as well!

So, just what event or a series of fully verifiable dates were used to first write our chronologies and histories with modern dates?"

Come on guys and gals! Just what is the date that "HAD TO BE ACCEPTED?"
Regards,

The year 0 is not the birth year of Jesus Christ. its just an arbitrary point. Dating is all arbitrary and relative to culture, its a human invention in order to record events and the number of days in between events.

There is no single point to begin history, different cultures use different dating systems.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 18:02
TGS, you just wrote;

"There is no single point to begin history, different cultures use different dating systems."

You must be kidding? "Differnet cultures use different dating systems." A very weird answer!

Then TGS, just how were all of these "different dating systems" amalgamated into todays system? Please tell me, I am dying to know?

Just think about it? There had to be a "hub" date? There had to be some historical event, or a few of them if necessary, to combine all of the chronology we see today? Or was it just taken "Out of thin air?"
Regards,
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 18:23
Originally posted by opuslola

TGS, you just wrote;

"There is no single point to begin history, different cultures use different dating systems."

You must be kidding? "Differnet cultures use different dating systems." A very weird answer!

Then TGS, just how were all of these "different dating systems" amalgamated into todays system? Please tell me, I am dying to know?

Just think about it? There had to be a "hub" date? There had to be some historical event, or a few of them if necessary, to combine all of the chronology we see today? Or was it just taken "Out of thin air?"
Regards,

Are you being serious right now? Ok, for example, the Christian calendar uses a different dating system than the Islamic calendar.

Right now, in the Christian calendar, we are in the year 2009. In the Islamic calendar, it is the year 1431. In the Hebrew calendar it is the year 5770. Get it now? And conversion is simple, you pick one event where you are certain of the date, such as the invasion of Iraq for example. Then you see what date that is in the Islamic calender, what year that is in the Gregorian calender, then you match all according dates relative to that to convert them...

The world doesnt revolve around the Christian West Wink

Its really very simple. For more information please see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 27-Dec-2009 at 18:28
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 18:43
TGS wrote the following message;

"Are you being serious right now? Ok, for example, the Christian calendar uses a different dating system than the Islamic calendar."

Of course I understand that in the Islamic world every thing begins and ends with Muhammed! But what does that have to do with my question above?

"Right now, in the Christian calendar, we are in the year 2009. In the Islamic calendar, it is the year 1431. In the Hebrew calendar it is the year 5770. Get it now? And conversion is simple, you pick one event where you are certain of the date, such as the invasion of Iraq for example. Then you see what date that is in the Islamic calender, what year that is in the Gregorian calender, then you match all according dates relative to that to convert them...

The world doesnt revolve around the Christian West"

Well f**king right! Of course it doesn't! Do you think me a fool? Laugh! But, just think man!, just how did all of these dating systems become "involved?", or "composed?", or "amalgamated?"

Think TGS? Before someone or someones made a "chronology of the past" there had to be some agreed upon point in the past where by all of these "seperate but equal?" dating systems were started from? Boy, what a poor sentence? chuckle

"Its really very simple. For more information please see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar""

No, it is not simple! You must think about what I have earlier said?

Regards,

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 19:20
TGS, I just do not know if I was able in the above posts to explain from where my answers come?

In almost any ancient stela or document, or any report of the above types, there exists in the original, only something like this?;
"In the fifth year of (king, pharaoh, king, duke, etc.) there was a great battle between (duke, king, pharaoh), etc.! Please note TGS, that there mostly never exists some magic connection to any other rulers or dynasties! Except for those "created by other historians?"

To establish a connection between the Roman Empire and the Greek or Athenian, or (pick one) empire, and the Parthian, or the Persian, or the Gaulishian?, etc., you have to have (a funny run of words) a connection of some what? Otherwise, you merely have a jumble of dynastic squabbles that are mostly "unconnected!"

You see? In the 16th or 17th centuries, when man became interested in ancient times, there had to exist one "expert" who proved to all of the other "semi-experts?) that there existed one date, one time, to which all following chronologers could depend upon that could connect all of these basically "disconnected" versions of the past!

I am sorry, but my mental condition, I am old and need sleep, prevents me from further explanation! But it should not take a "blind man to see" what I have already offered?
Regards,
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2009 at 20:12
Well, you didnt understand my answer. I'm saying that just like we have different calendars today and we can convert between calendars, we can do the same thing for ancient times as well.

Its all arbitrary, history begins at different times in different cultures, which is what I said, and by comparing different calendars we can come up with conversions.

I was using today's example to explain how we can decipher the past. The further we go in history, the harder it is to pin-point dates, which is why historians do not give specific dates for things that old, but rather use centuries to give us an idea of when an even took place.

We would not have history unless we figured out a solution to the problem that you pose, which is not a new question, but was a question that we based our information on after coming up with a method to solve it.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2009 at 18:30
TGS, just how far into the past does one have to go where "dates" are not pinpointed? Hell, certain priests have even "pinpointed" the exact time of day as well as the date of creation! One even said it was in 4004 BCE!

The Bible does a credible chronology but not dating, if one cares to go through the "begats", and other books concerning lineage, etc., one comes up easily to Solomon, and from there things get a little difficult, but it seems our forefathers in chronology managed to get thru the times of the later centuries up to the Greek times and eventually up to and past Jesus the Nazerene and the Romans!

One might well make the connection, and state that all other nations, and their illustrious pasts are directly connected to some period of time of either the Jews or the Romans? IE, historians found some way to connect the Greeks to the Romans, eventhough Greece reportedly had a 500 year or so "Dark Age?", as did "Egypt" (at least two!), as did "the Land between the Rivers" (The Fertile Crescent!), the Hittites (Hatti), etc.! Even Europe had one! It was called, amazingly so, "The Dark Ages!" Laugh!

Do you see Bear?

There had to be a "nexus" or "commonality", a "Central hub of a spoked wheel!", of the acceptance of one event that ties all of this together! Was it "Olympic Games?", was it the date of some great astronomical event?, the Birth or Death of Jesus?, or Caesar?, or the Battle of Marathoh?, the Battle of Kadesh?, the Flood?, the Fall of Troy?, "the distruction of the Temple? (which time?), "The Exile? (Which one?), etc, etc.!

It is almost to much to contemplate? But it was contemplated and accepted by someone, somewhere?

So, do we have any idea when and where all of this was both contemplated and answered?

Prosit!

Edited by opuslola - 28-Dec-2009 at 19:03
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2009 at 23:06
Historical data is mentioned in a lot of scripts. E.g. 234 years after the foundation of Rome or in the 7th year of the reign of......or 932 years after the birth of J.C. and s lot more.
Since the 6th century there is AC and BC, since Roman period we have the Julian Calendar. That makes it relatively easy to give a date of historical situations.
But of course there are many dates we can't fix. So historians give e.g. 907/908, or in the first half of the 5th century.......
There are problems if there are sources like the bible. You gave the date 4004, I think they even have the exact day and hour. Those dating is not trustfull because there is data wich is not reliable.
If we look at the Egyptians. We can use the dates of the different rulers. But there are different list and somtimes they are different. So scientist have to investigate. They use other sources, astronomical data and many more. But of course there are a lot of times where we can't give an exact date.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 07:40
Bear, "4004 BCE, was a reductio ad absurdum! It was the creation of Bishop Ussher, as well as John Lightfoot!

See; http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm

"Having established the first day of creation as Sunday 23 October 4004 BC, by the arguments set forth in the passage below, Ussher calculated the dates of other biblical events, concluding, for example, that Adam and Eve were driven from Paradise on Monday 10 November 4004 BC, and that the ark touched down on Mt Ararat on 5 May 2348 BC `on a Wednesday'."
From the above source we find;

"Sir John Lightfoot:

...the general conclusion arrived at by an overwhelming majority of the most competent students of the biblical accounts was that the date of creation was, in round numbers, four thousand years before our era; and in the seventeenth century, in his great work, Dr. John Lightfoot, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge, and one of the most eminent Hebrew scholars of his time, declared, as the result of his most profound and exhaustive study of the Scriptures, that 'heaven and earth, centre and circumference, were created all together, in the same instant, and clouds full of water,' and that 'this work took place and man was created by the Trinity on October 23, 4004 B.C., at nine o'clock in the morning.'"

He was the one who had the temerity to even state the time of day as "nine o'clock in the morning!"

Of course there exists literally hundreds of predictive dates for the "creation!" I am sure no one really believes in any of them! But they were all created by deductive reasoning! And all of this "profound and exhaustive study of the Scriptures" performed by literally hundreds of "experts" has presented us with a variety of dates that is similar to one of us chosing a breakfast cereal at our grocery store!

For a little more illumination see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dating_Creation

You also wrote; "Historical data is mentioned in a lot of scripts. E.g. 234 years after the foundation of Rome.." Here you have picked an attractive date for computation since it is also connected in various ways to the fall of Troy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_War

From the above; "Many scholars believe that there is a historical core to the tale, though this may simply mean that the Homeric stories are a fusion of various tales of sieges and expeditions by Mycenaean Greeks during the Bronze Age. Those who believe that the stories of the Trojan War derive from a specific historical conflict usually date it to the 12th or 11th centuries BC, often preferring the dates given by Eratosthenes, 1194–1184 BC, which roughly corresponds with archaeological evidence of a catastrophic burning of Troy VIIa.[2]"

From this site you can see some of the chronology as it is now considered; http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/homeschoolers/a/majorevents.htm

"5.1200 B.C. Fall of Troy - if there was a Trojan War.
1st Millennium B.C.

6.995 B.C. The Hebrew King David captured Jerusalem.
8th Century B.C.

7.780 - 560 B.C. Greeks sent settlers to create colonies in Asia Minor.

8.776 B.C. Legendary start of the Ancient Olympics.

9.753 B.C. Legendary founding of Rome. [See Ancient Rome Timeline.]
7th Century B.C.

10.621 B.C. Greek lawgiver Draco.

11.612 B.C. Nineveh (the capital of Babylonia) was captured, marking the end of the Assyrian Empire."

Now from the above you can see that the fall of Troy and the foundation of Rome, and the start of the Olympic games, are not considered as reliable dates and are somewhat fanciful at best, and as such probably will not qualify as the "hub" of chronology! Both David's capture of Jerusalem and the fall of Ninevah seem to be considered as more reliable dates, e.g.,"995 B.C." for the fall of Jerusalem!, and most specifically in "612 B.C." for the fall of Ninevah!

Could the "Fall of Ninevah" in 612 be a "Hub date?", or could it be the taking of Jerusalem by David in "995 B.C.?"

One must notice that the author of the above chronology / timeline writes this;
"Caveat About the Dates

Many of the events in this timeline are only approximate or traditional. This is particularly true of the events before Greece and Rome, but even with Greece and Rome, the early years are in doubt."

Please pay particular attention to the author's use of the word "traditional!", are Biblical dates so considered?

You see Bear, most really early dates are in question since we moderns tend to shy away from things that might well be pure "myth!"

So, the fall of Ninevah, and the taking of Jerusalem seem to be well seated? But is either of these "hub" or "the hub?" and just how reliable is the information concerning the "Fall of Ninevah?"
Prosit,
Ron

Edited by opuslola - 29-Dec-2009 at 07:55
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 08:02
Well, you are right. The beginning of Rome in 753 is probably not correct. But important is the dating after it. It like BC/AC. Jesus wasn't born in the year 0, especially because a year 0 doesn't ever have existed, he is probably born between 6 and 3 BC. But if we have a dating by the Gregorian calender, e.g. 1601, then we can be quite sure, that this is an reliable date. If the Romans say cesar was murdered 709 years after the beginning of Rome, then we can be quite sure that it was 44 BC.
On the other hand there are a lot of incorrect dates. But this is what historians or scientist at all do, they divided the correct informations from the false ones.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 08:17
Opuslola, it doesnt matter when we start our date, what is important is that we get the dates correct relative to that starting point.

There is no one starting point, like I said, its different in different cultures, and its always going to be like that.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 08:58
TGS, wrote;

Sorry TGS, in my previous answer I might well have responded in an incorrect manner? I tend to agree with your statement! But, one cannot deny that these various and "different dating systems" have been amalgamated into one cohesive unit! E.g., Rome is connected to Greece; Israel/Judeah; Carthage; Persia; Gaul; Briton; Spain / Iberia?; Parthina; Goths; Vandals; Egypt; Syria; etc., etc.! The history of Greece is also connected to various of the above list, including predecessors of those listed by Roman History, and as well places where Roman Legions never penetrated. The various Persian Empires, and Babylonian, or Mesopotamian empires are also connected via contact with all of the above! But, the dates we aquire in our present history and chronology books, are all presented in our current system of dating, e.g. "the Gregorian calender!" See;

http://charon.nmsu.edu/~lhuber/leaphist.html

"In most societies a calendar reform is an extraordinary event. Adoption of a calendar depends on the forcefulness with which it is introduced and on the willingness of society to accept it. For example, the acceptance of the Gregorian calendar as a worldwide standard spanned more than three centuries.
The legal code of the United States does not specify an official national calendar. Use of the Gregorian calendar in the United States stems from an Act of Parliament of the United Kingdom in 1751, which specified use of the Gregorian calendar in England and its colonies. However, its adoption in the United Kingdom and other countries was fraught with confusion, controversy, and even violence (Bates, 1952; Gingerich, 1983; Hoskin, 1983). It also had a deeper cultural impact through the disruption of traditional festivals and calendrical practices (MacNeill, 1982)."

So, we see that general acceptance of the Gregorian model took, it seems, about 300 years before all historians could converse and have discourse about chronology, and history in the same numerical language! One must remember also that every book that used other systems,like the Julian, ect., had to convert all dates to the Gregorian! And it seems that this was not the first time such an event had occured!

Please read this?;

"History of the Julian Calendar
The year -45 has been called the "year of confusion," because in that year Julius Caesar inserted 90 days to bring the months of the Roman calendar back to their traditional place with respect to the seasons. This was Caesar's first step in replacing a calendar that had gone badly awry. Although the pre-Julian calendar was lunisolar in inspiration, its months no longer followed the lunar phases and its year had lost step with the cycle of seasons (see Michels, 1967; Bickerman, 1974). Following the advice of Sosigenes, an Alexandrine astronomer, Caesar created a solar calendar with twelve months of fixed lengths and a provision for an intercalary day to be added every fourth year. As a result, the average length of the Julian calendar year was 365.25 days. This is consistent with the length of the tropical year as it was known at the time.
Following Caesar's death, the Roman calendrical authorities misapplied the leap-year rule, with the result that every third, rather than every fourth, year was intercalary. Although detailed evidence is lacking, it is generally believed that Emperor Augustus corrected the situation by omitting intercalation from the Julian years -8 through +4. After this the Julian calendar finally began to function as planned.

Through the Middle Ages the use of the Julian calendar evolved and acquired local peculiarities that continue to snare the unwary historian. There were variations in the initial epoch for counting years, the date for beginning the year, and the method of specifying the day of the month. Not only did these vary with time and place, but also with purpose. Different conventions were sometimes used for dating ecclesiastical records, fiscal transactions, and personal correspondence.

Caesar designated January 1 as the beginning of the year. However, other conventions flourished at different times and places. The most popular alternatives were March 1, March 25, and December 25. This continues to cause problems for historians, since, for example, +998 February 28 as recorded in a city that began its year on March 1, would be the same day as +999 February 28 of a city that began the year on January 1.

Days within the month were originally counted from designated division points within the month: Kalends, Nones, and Ides. The Kalends is the first day of the month. The Ides is the thirteenth of the month, except in March, May, July, and October, when it is the fifteenth day. The Nones is always eight days before the Ides (see Table 8.2.1). Dates falling between these division points are designated by counting inclusively backward from the upcoming division point. Intercalation was performed by repeating the day VI Kalends March, i.e., inserting a day between VI Kalends March (February 24) and VII Kalends March (February 23).

By the eleventh century, consecutive counting of days from the beginning of the month came into use. Local variations continued, however, including counts of days from dates that commemorated local saints. The inauguration and spread of the Gregorian calendar resulted in the adoption of a uniform standard for recording dates.

Cappelli (1930), Grotefend and Grotefend (1941), and Cheney (1945) offer guidance through the maze of medieval dating."

So, we see that our entire dating system, as used by most scholars today, is based upon a forced conversion of a mismash of dates and its subsequent conversion into chronological tables! As you have read above, it seems all of this was a result of one event, and it seems that it was all corrected or semi-corrected at one time in our past!

It is by the conversion of a messed up Julian System into a less messed up Gregorian System, that we now have some degree of continuity in historical chronology!

Regards,
Ron
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 09:24
To all;

Perhaps this site will give us something to think about?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0002061.html

"The Roman Calendar
When Rome emerged as a world power, the difficulties of making a calendar were well known, but the Romans complicated their lives because of their superstition that even numbers were unlucky. Hence their months were 29 or 31 days long, with the exception of February, which had 28 days. However, four months of 31 days, seven months of 29 days, and one month of 28 days added up to only 355 days. Therefore the Romans invented an extra month called Mercedonius of 22 or 23 days. It was added every second year.

Even with Mercedonius, the Roman calendar eventually became so far off that Julius Caesar, advised by the astronomer Sosigenes, ordered a sweeping reform. 46 B.C. was made 445 days long by imperial decree, bringing the calendar back in step with the seasons. Then the solar year (with the value of 365 days and 6 hours) was made the basis of the calendar. The months were 30 or 31 days in length, and to take care of the 6 hours, every fourth year was made a 366-day year. Moreover, Caesar decreed the year began with the first of January, not with the vernal equinox in late March.

This calendar was named the Julian calendar, after Julius Caesar, and it continues to be used by Eastern Orthodox churches for holiday calculations to this day. However, despite the correction, the Julian calendar is still 111/2 minutes longer than the actual solar year, and after a number of centuries, even 111/2 minutes adds up.

The Gregorian Reform
By the 15th century the Julian calendar had drifted behind the solar calendar by about a week, so that the vernal equinox was falling around March 12 instead of around March 20. Pope Sixtus IV (who reigned from 1471 to 1484) decided that another reform was needed and called the German astronomer Regiomontanus to Rome to advise him. Regiomontanus arrived in 1475, but unfortunately he died shortly afterward, and the pope's plans for reform died with him.

Then in 1545, the Council of Trent authorized Pope Paul III to reform the calendar once more. Most of the mathematical and astronomical work was done by Father Christopher Clavius, S.J. The immediate correction, advised by Father Clavius and ordered by Pope Gregory XIII, was that Thursday, Oct. 4, 1582, was to be the last day of the Julian calendar. The next day would be Friday, Oct. 15. For long-range accuracy, a formula suggested by the Vatican librarian Aloysius Giglio was adopted: every fourth year is a leap year unless it is a century year like 1700 or 1800. Century years can be leap years only when they are divisible by 400 (e.g., 1600 and 2000). This rule eliminates three leap years in four centuries, making the calendar sufficiently accurate.

In spite of the revised leap year rule, an average calendar year is still about 26 seconds longer than the Earth's orbital period. But this discrepancy will need 3,323 years to build up to a single day."

So, you can see that under the reforms of the Julian system, there was one year of (and I think this is amazing)445 days!!! This amounts to about 76 days, which had to be eliminated before the calendar caught up with the seasons! This is approximately two months and 15 days! Or two months and an "ides!"

Boy! If you were paid a yearly stipend then you got screwed! laugh! Just think of all of those Roman gods events that had to be either ingnored or celebrated twice within less than a full year?

Just who was responsible for correcting all of the historical material that must have existed in the Roman archives? Questions, questions? chuckle!
And, from this site from the previous post of mine;
http://charon.nmsu.edu/~lhuber/leaphist.html We can read the following words;

"By the eleventh century, consecutive counting of days from the beginning of the month came into use. Local variations continued, however, including counts of days from dates that commemorated local saints. The inauguration and spread of the Gregorian calendar resulted in the adoption of a uniform standard for recording dates."

I see the "eleventh century" as a somewhat convenient place to start such a system, since it was to all extent and purpose, it is exactly 1,000 years from the supposed date of the birth of the Christ!

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 29-Dec-2009 at 09:32
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 09:42
But that's why we often find e.g. as date 998/9 BC. The most dates have just the year, not day or month. But if the date cannot be given exactly the work of historians begins. So if we have the information that somebody died in 998/9 and we have another information that he took part in an event in 999, then he probably died in 999. Or if it is said that he was born in the third year of the reign of king X (and we don't know when it was) and during the reign of pope Y, than we can say it was between date A and B. If we are lucky, then it is written that it was during the invasion of XY. Historians usually don't pretend to fix a date more accurate than this, but this is usually not a big problem. Perhaps sometimes we have problems with the chronology but that is what makes history so interesting.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 10:42
Bear, you know of course that both the names and the dates given for the early popes are considered as mythological? I, for one, whould not place much faith in any connection of another so called "historical person or event" that is linked to the early popes! See;

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/peterpope.html

The above source, at least, says the following concerning the very first pope!;

"
The Tradition of Peter Being the First Bishop of Rome only Surfaced in the Fourth Century
The next point to consider is whether Peter was actually, at one time the leader of the Christians at Rome. There is a strong tradition that Peter was in Rome and was martyred there in AD64. It was certainly assumed by all the early Christian writers such as Clement (c95), Ignatius (d. c110) and Irenaeus (c130-c200). Thus, without any strong evidence to the contrary, we can say that Peter was martyred in Rome. This, however, is far from proving the case that Peter was the city's first leader; as tradition put both Peter and Paul in Rome at about the same time. And Paul, as we all know, does not think of himself to be a lesser apostle than Peter. In fact, tradition, earlier than that which put Peter as the first bishop of Rome, had it that both Paul and Peter founded the church in Rome. [10]
The assertion that Peter was the first Bishop of Rome was first made only in the fourth century - by St. Jerome (c342-420). Jerome said, without citing any supporting evidence, that Peter was the Bishop of Rome for twenty five years. Before Jerome, there was no tradition to support this. [11] It is also well known that the bishops of Rome were vying with the bishops of the other major churches for the position as leader of Christendom. Had they known about Peter being the first pope, which they should have known if it was true, they would undoubtedly have used it in their polemics against the other churches."

So, we might well doubt any information concerning the names or even the existance of any popes up to "St. Siricius Dec 384-Nov 26, 399"
And even proof of the existance of St. Jerome, is iffy? That is, from what sources (reliable ones, not church explanantions) exist to prove his existance?

What we seem to have is a history of the church created by and for the church! Hardly a reliable source!

See; http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=10

Heck, it seems we know more about St. Jerome than we might know about St. Lawrence of Arabia! Just read all of the "little details!" found above! I am sure most of his life history could at one time at least, have been found in the now lost annals of some of his famous contemporaries! If we can even be sure any of them exsted?
Regards,
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 10:54
Nobody denies that there are a lot of false information, but that doesn't mean everything is wrong
Gerry57 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Gerry57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2010 at 07:47
I feel there is just alot of unknows in dating history.I also feel that understanding past history still remains a big mystery. As far as I know they are still arguing about what killed the dinosaurs.
The remains of the "hobbit" that was recently discovered means to me that there is a big void that needs to be filled in. I feel there was a middle earth with magic, mystery, and wizards. I feel the hobbit discovery bring  some light into this theory. The main problem today on excepting different points of views not being considered is because of the influence of Reglion and the goverment control of science research. The way the Bush adminstration put the screws to controlled what was allowed to be released; proves this. If you don't play ball then they will just canceled your research grant money.
Gerry O'Brien
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2010 at 15:39
Dear Gerry57!

I am sorry, but I just cannot fathom your words? If I were to guess your age, I would say you are from 17 to 25 years of age? But, you might well be either a few years younger or older, so I would place you in a catagory of (13-27)! Am I close?
I would whole heartedly suggest that you begin to read, and read hard! I actually have a step daughter who did not like to read, so one time, I offered her $50.00 US, a number of books, written by females, for her to read, and upon the written synopis of said books, I would forward into her teenage hands the monies!

But, alas! It cost me nothing! She would not even read for money!

Of course, like every fairy-tale that you might have seen, she did become a "Princess!" NO! She was not kissed by a frog, but she become a (are you ready for this?) "Librarian!"
She is now aged 33 and still a Virgin! That is, unmarried! choke!

"I kid you not" (the previous quotation was coined by Jack Paar, who used to host the "Tonight Show!)

I kid you not! NO wonder most young people are confused! Laugh!
Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 04-Jan-2010 at 15:41
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2010 at 19:01
A while ago, TGS wrote;

"Are you being serious right now? Ok, for example, the Christian calendar uses a different dating system than the Islamic calendar.

Right now, in the Christian calendar, we are in the year 2009. In the Islamic calendar, it is the year 1431. In the Hebrew calendar it is the year 5770. Get it now? And conversion is simple, you pick one event where you are certain of the date, such as the invasion of Iraq for example. Then you see what date that is in the Islamic calender, what year that is in the Gregorian calender, then you match all according dates relative to that to convert them...
The world doesnt revolve around the Christian West"

Later TGS wrote;

"Well, you didnt understand my answer. I'm saying that just like we have different calendars today and we can convert between calendars, we can do the same thing for ancient times as well."

I would just like to ask TGS, just how do you know all of those calendars are correct?

And just how sure or you of any dates that are so co-related in the chronologies?

You see, just because there exists some calendars, and just because today these have been intertwined to seem to express some over lapping dates, then you must understand that these are all "arbitrary!"

Regards,

Edited by opuslola - 05-Mar-2010 at 19:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>