Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carthaginian Culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carthaginian Culture
    Posted: 17-Nov-2009 at 12:23
I am working on a paper about the evolution and basis of Carthaginian Culture with the main goal of finding some vague remnant of its survival in modern day culture. I have a lot of research already but I was wondering if you guys had any literature or links that would aid me in my paper.
Carthago View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Carthago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2010 at 12:28
I have just started to read Carthage Must be Destroyed: The rise and fall of an ancient civilization by Richard Miles and it is already clear ( he states as much) that most of what we know is filtered & coloured by how the Romans wished to show Carthage as their bogey man.

Sadly after the fall of Carthage all the surviving writings from the libraries were given to the Numidian princes who were Roman allies at the time, and have subsequently been lost.

As I said I have only just started the book, so maybe something akin to your query may be answered within. I cannot yet say but I may be worth you picking up a copy anyway. 

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 18:41
You asked for "some vague remnant of its survival in modern day culture."

Then, voila! You have found it! It survives in our view of history!

OK, well maybe there is still some child killing, but that is hardly relevant, is it?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 19:24
The Carthaginians were Semites who settled in North Africa. They worshipped Molech and made very fine glass beads
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 20:10
They also invented purple dye the Caesars craved. This came from a shellfish
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:19

Carthaginian glass head from 400 BC
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:30
The Phoenecians invented the purple dye made from murex shells not Carthaginians. Several Punic steles and tombs have been found, they had their own unique brand of art mixed with the Greek form. Moloch was far from the only god worshiped as many were.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 19:10
So Carthaginians weren't descended from Phoenicians? Who exactly were their ancestors?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 19:19
There is a distinct culture distinctiveness between Carthaginians and Phoenecians, they aren't the same,
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 20:00
But they did share the same ancestors. Israel's conquest of Canaan might explain why so many Semite refugees fled by sea and founded a new colony in Africa
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 12:10
No not really. The Phoenecians were primarily in the cities of Sidon Byblos and Tyre. Tyre founded Carthage and Babylon and the Assyrians were the nominal overlords of Phoenecia at any given time.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:02
I read somewhere that  the similarity between the Catragenian and the Phoenician cultures was the same as between the American and and British ones.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:07
Thats a good example yet Carthage's religion differed so did their culture and alot of customs.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:13
Big smileWhy did Alexander never attack Carthage?Earth had shifted suddenly and Carthage came there after
His death?Before Alexander nobody attacked Rome&Carthage.Why?No Aliens please even if ancestors of those here on Balkans,Romans=Eastern&Western,insist on it as possible solution.According mental state of their mind:Hmmmm...
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:23
I guess for the same reason while Egypt never attacked Cartage - the desert between, not enough resourses to justify the war, etc. 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:35
Reason are the same for both of them:there were no bigger habitats on those territories than fishermen towns.Hindu migration groups&others conflict had been exposed in history books.Hindu-European history books have reedited all the rest.Aliens&Predators conflict is missing about last 2300 years in books.But new chapter follows now...(I mean towns:Rome&Cartage in Alexander's time)Smile
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:50
Archaeological evidence dates back to the late 700's BC for Carthage and even in its infancy due to archaeology it is estimated to have had 30,000 people.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 13:51
Originally posted by medenaywe

Big smileWhy did Alexander never attack Carthage?Earth had shifted suddenly and Carthage came there afterHis death?Before Alexander nobody attacked Rome&Carthage.Why?No Aliens please even if ancestors of those here on Balkans,Romans=Eastern&Western,insist on it as possible solution.According mental state of their mind:Hmmmm...

He died before he could even conquer India or Arabia? We have evidence a Carthaginian visited Alexander and found him hostile.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 14:13
After that they became two world superpowers!Artifacts about population in that time from both places do
you have within?Big Bang theory of Ancient times!?!?!LOL
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 14:16
Its quite easy to trace Carthage's or Rome's rise to prominence through the ancient historians and archaeological evidence. Carthage gradually took over the Phoenecian trade lanes and Phoenecian colonies. There is archaeological evidence for a Punic presence in the Azores West Africa, Spain, Africa. What evidence do you want? I can probably find it because there is plenty of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>