Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kian (Kin, King), the holiest of Persian words

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kian (Kin, King), the holiest of Persian words
    Posted: 03-Nov-2009 at 05:36

Some words are mysterious and have a very long history, Kian is one of them, this Persian word certainly means "King" but differs from Shah, it seems to possible for Iranian peoples to hate their Shah but not their Kian, we should always defend our Kian, that is our most important thing to preserve, it is really difficult to explain what this word exactly means, Kian is something or someone who makes us united under one name, father is Kian-e Khanevade (Kian of Family) and King or leader is Kian-e Keshvar (Kian of the country).

There was a semi-mythological dynasty named "Kianian/Kianid", almost all Persian and even non-Persian kings of Iran considered themselves descendants of this dynasty, I think the most important thing was "Kiani Crown", Ferdosi, Iran's national poet, says about Arab invaders in Shahnameh:

Ze shireh shotor khordano susmar
Arab ra be jaii reside ast kar
Ke Tajeh Kiani konad arezu
Tofu bar to ey charkheh gardun tofu

From eating camel milk and lizard,
Arab got so bold, that now,
Dreams of capturing the Kiani Crown
Fie on you, o fate! fie on you!

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2009 at 16:18
Dear Cyrus, an interesting post, indeed! I would propose or even suppose that it might well be language and phoenetic / pronounciation problem in the translation of our English word "King", or even the Hunnish word "Khan?", etc.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2009 at 21:35
I think the English word "King" certainly relates to Persian "Kian", and of course the Hunnish word "Khan", however this word is more similar to Persian "Khane" (House) and "Khanevade" (Family, Tribe).
Messopotamian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Messopotamian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2009 at 08:17
in Kurdish " Key " ( Kei )

Kingdom : Keyiti
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2009 at 19:18
IE, just like our current life insurance program concerning "KEY man Insurance?"
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
fbs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote fbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 18:43
Bumping an old thread. 

OP, this is such an interesting and more beautiful definition than just a "king" or a particular dynasty: "something or someone who makes us united under one name."   I've never seen this definition anywhere else before, including the Dehkhoda Dictionary and a book I have with Farsi name meanings. Can you please paste a source or two where you got this from - or is it your personal knowledge? I would love to show this to some relatives with the name. Thanks!

Farhan Kiani View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Farhan Kiani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2016 at 11:44
Proud to be a Kiani long live Cyrus the great. Although i am not a racist
 Post Reply Post Reply