Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

beautiful churches in your area or nation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: beautiful churches in your area or nation
    Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 14:11
I live in Hicksville now so I will have to refer to my last place of residence in Spokane, the wonderful and beautiful state of Washington or the east side really. Please churches only!!

St. John's Episcopal Church downtown Spokane
image by Jibby! flickr.com

image by The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist's home site:
http://www.stjohns-cathedral.org/
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2009 at 19:02
There are few, if any, beautiful churches in Dallas. All of the newly built churches are post modern ugly. Things may change as traditional art and archetecture is making a come back in the Catholic church.

The most beautiful churches that I have seen recently were old, small and  simple white clapboard chuches that I saw on rural roads in Louisiana and Mississippi. The simplicity of the stuctures and the fall leaves was stunning.  
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 05:51

There are several churches in Tehran, but I like the ones which represent the ancient architecture of a nation, such as:

Saint Joseph Assyrian Cathedral:

St. Sarkis Armenian Church:

Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church:

St. Peter Chaldean Catholic Church:

Cantor Russian Church: (Qazvin)

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 08:05
The church of the Patriarchate

By macgruff ..... catching up !! on Flickr

Edited by Menumorut - 25-Aug-2009 at 09:06

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 09:37
intersting! Smile

Guess the type of this one:

Holly Cross Church in the north of Tehran, built from solid stone about 100 years ago:

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 09:53
Is Georgian? The type of plan of proportions suggest this, also the icon seem Orthodox.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 10:20
No, this one is also an Armenian church.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2009 at 12:26
wow those are beautiful churches in Iran and suprising to see the crosses. I would figure in such a strict Islamic country this would not be allowed. I saw this in Turkiye but it is much more liberal than Iran.

I have not had a chance to explore the city of Tuscon, Arizona since it is almost an hour by car from me but here is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in the city. I have not seen it but with its large Mexican population the Roman Catholic presence is strong there.

by tucson.world-guides.com

I tried to find pics of the Greek Orthodox Church in Tuscon but the home site did not have pics of the exterior of the church

by donniemesseng... flickr.com
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2009 at 00:09
I think the most beautiful chuches in Iran are in Isfahan, some months ago I visited some of them, I had really shocked, you can't find one millimeter on the wall without decoration, the paintings looked wonderful, photos can't show the beauty of these churches.

A fresco depicting Heaven, Earth, and Hell:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 28-Aug-2009 at 04:09
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2009 at 11:01
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think the most beautiful chuches in Iran are in Isfahan, some months ago I visited some of them, I had really shocked, you can't find one millimeter on the wall without decoration, the paintings looked wonderful, photos can't show the beauty of these churches.

A fresco depicting Heaven, Earth, and Hell:

wow and double wow- I don't think we have anything like that in the USA, maybe on a smaller scale. Even the church in Spokane I show is a copy of Gothic Churches in Europe and it is really inferior in structure compared to the real Gothic churches. I will not post out of my area so anyone from England or France.

When I lived in California I saw the Crystal cathedral by Robet Schular, sort of a New Age Christian based religion. It is in the greater Los Angeles area.
image by whoj flickr.com

by Arnout Fonck flickr.com

by grove
OZinOH flickr.com
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2009 at 15:39

The interesting thing is that none of Iranian mosques have been registered as Unesco World Heritage sites but three Iranian churches are in the list of Unesco, of course I think those are among the holiest Christian sites, one of them is Saint Jude Thaddeus Cathedral which is said to be originally built by Thaddeus, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ, numerous pilgrims gather there each year for the traditional feast-day of St. Thaddeus.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2009 at 21:17
In Romania there are three group of churches included on UNESCO list:

The wooden churches of Maramures:

By M. Sherman on Flickr. There are ~1000 wood churches in Northern Transylvania but they are deteriorating fastly, many have been destroyed in last decades. Few of them are restored.

The painted churches from Bukovina:

By marches-lointaines .com on Flickr. There are 7 churches that have preserved well their exterior paintings (and more that preserved it badly). They are monasteries churches.

The fortified churches from the Saxon lands:

By TudorSeulean on Flickr. There are ~150 such buildings (from ~300 in the past), almost all unrestored and deteriorating fastly.

Edited by Menumorut - 27-Aug-2009 at 21:55

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2009 at 21:25
Traditionally, these two churches have been considered the finest from Wallachia and Moldavia. Both are strongly influenced by Caucasian (Armenian and Georgian) architecture, although Trei Ierarhi seem pretty Central-Asia too:

Curtea de Arges (Wallachia)

By The Shy Photographer on Flickr.

Trei Ierarhi (Moldavia)

By doc_holllywoood and cornel_alexcorr on Flickr

Edited by Menumorut - 27-Aug-2009 at 22:03

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2009 at 03:40
The wooden churches look great! Smile

Some more pics of the fortified Armenian cathedral of St. Thaddeus (a mixture of ancient Urartian, Parthian, Greek, and Roman styles):

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 28-Aug-2009 at 03:43
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2009 at 04:27

Anothe the World Heritage site of Iran is the fortified church of St. Stephanos that I think to be more beautiful than St. Thaddeus:

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2009 at 09:32
I read that in Caucasus was born the Byzantine style of architecture, they created firstly the inscribed cross plan that made the passage from Hellenistic-Roman to medieval architecture. Georgia and Armenia (and the countries.

Romania doesn't have an old heritage. This is the only ensamble of Byzantine frescoes in country (all other ar post-1456), from 14th century:

Saint Nicholas church in Curtea de Arges (different from the church above)

By fusion-of-horizons on Flickr

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2009 at 09:50
And here is the most precious building in Romania, the catholic cathedral of Alba Iulia. Is in Romanesque and Gothic style:

By Rimager on Flickr

This is the biggest church in Romania, the Black Church in Brasov:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2009 at 10:12
Wow - very interesting church architecture both in Iran and Romania.

This is Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in my old city of Spokane in Washington state. It is the only domed building like this in the whole city.

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Spokane home page see official web site

image by bridgepix flickr.com
cathedral of our lourdes spokane
Because of the Irish, German and Italian influx Spokane has a lot of Roman Catholics and one university Gonzaga University

Gonzaga West End - just think the late and famous actor Bing Crosby use to pray here while he went to law school- then dropped out ot act.
Image by Janet is real... flickr.com

image by radioarchives.org
check out their web page
First Generation Radio Archives
"Preserving Radio's Past for the Future"
membership@radioarchives.org

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2010 at 15:40
Hi!!!I am a greek student and I am about to finish my MA at London based on Byzantine Archaeology. I need some pictures of medieval SANCTUARY SCREENS of Georgian, Armenian, Cappadocian and Egyptian churches. I would be greatfull if anybody could upload any pictures so that I can do a research concerning the iconostasis. Thanks a lot!!
 Post Reply Post Reply