Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPatriarch 15th c.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patriarch 15th c.
    Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 00:07
I am looking for a site about the clothing of the Patriarch about 1453 so I can better describe Metrophanes the last unofficial patriarch in my story. Does anyone know of a link with pics and a good description of their clothing?

I wonder where Byz Emp is?????????????????

meanwhile I found this book but @ $79.95 ouch!!

I will look on Amazon

Edited by eaglecap - 09-Jun-2009 at 00:18
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 17:17
There are some discussions with pictures on these sites about Patriarch Joseph II when he attended the Council of Florence 1439-1444.  Most of the descriptions of his appearance come from the paintings of Florentine artists.  There are also some descriptions in Syropoulos (the Greek chronicler of the council) and the secondary literature by John Gill, SJ.

Gill, Joseph. The Council of Florence. Cambridge: University Press, 1959.

Gill, Joseph. Personalities of the Council of Florence, and Other Essays. New York: Barnes & Noble, 1965.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2009 at 22:40
I found this image that could help with discription but any other links.

Mehmed II making Gennadios Scholarios
Patriarch of Constantinople
20th C Mosaic, Ecumenical Patriarchate, Istanbul
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2009 at 21:17

On Diana Wright's site there are picture of Patriarch Joseph II from Florentine paintings.  As for Gennadios, I do not think there are any surviving representations of him.  The one above is a modern picture.

Here are the ones of Joseph II:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 05:14
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

On Diana Wright's site there are picture of Patriarch Joseph II from Florentine paintings.  As for Gennadios, I do not think there are any surviving representations of him.  The one above is a modern picture.

Here are the ones of Joseph II:

I like the Emperor's hat! Can I order one like that from Sears or JC Penney
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 14:22

Unfortunately the books I've scanned this picture from didn't have many information, I suppose its the dress of the after 1453 Patriarch:

And the nice hat of the emperors by Pisanello, in a medallion of John VII Palaiologos:

I suppose this depiction of John Palaiologos is the most accurate, considering that Pisanello met him personaly.

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2009 at 19:56
Originally posted by Patrinos

Unfortunately the books I've scanned this picture from didn't have many information, I suppose its the dress of the after 1453 Patriarch:

And the nice hat of the emperors by Pisanello, in a medallion of John VII Palaiologos:

I suppose this depiction of John Palaiologos is the most accurate, considering that Pisanello met him personaly.

Thank you Patrinos fellow Greek.
I see the cloak but what would his oovering and inner garb be called in Orthodox clergy terms from that period? Today, I will work on my story about 1453 and this will be very helpful in creating the fiction.

Are you in Athens? I spent a month in Athens in 2001 and two weeks in 1998 and met relatives there.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 14:55
Originally posted by eaglecap

Thank you Patrinos fellow Greek.
I see the cloak but what would his oovering and inner garb be called in Orthodox clergy terms from that period? Today, I will work on my story about 1453 and this will be very helpful in creating the fiction.

Are you in Athens? I spent a month in Athens in 2001 and two weeks in 1998 and met relatives there.

Well, the dress of the clergy are generally called amphia-άμφια. 

In the picture of Gennadios I suppose the covering is a simple type of phailonion/φαιλόνιον, and the inside an esorason-εσώρασον, worn mostly by monks/monachous.

And the hood that he's wearing is called koukoulion-κουκούλιον.

The verge he is holding is called poimantorike ravdos-ποιμαντορική ράβδος.

Here's a less simple ravdos:

And this hat is called skiadion-σκιάδιον.

PS-I suppose that there is a reason why the Patriarch Gennadios is so simple dressed in the mosaic Byz.Emp. quoted, with Mohamed...

No Eaglecap, I'm not from Athens, as my nickname show I'm from Patra,Peloponnesos. If I remember correctly you have origins from Eastern Thrace, right?

Edited by Patrinos - 13-Jun-2009 at 15:02
Kolokotronis
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 18:51
I'm not from Athens, as my nickname show I'm from Patra,Peloponnesos. If I remember correctly you have origins from Eastern Thrace, right?

My Papoo was from Eastern Thrace till about eight then moved to Thessolonikki; after the Turks killed his family.(no offense meant to my Turkish friends today) My Yia Yia and mother were from Korinthos- not far from you. I have been to Patra when I first came to Greece in 1998 on the way to the Oracle of Delphi.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by eaglecap

I like the Emperor's hat! Can I order one like that from Sears or JC Penney

LOL That would be cool!  Perhaps New Era, who makes Major League Baseball's official team caps, could market a special Byzantine line of hats?

Hey Patrinos!  Good to see you again.  I am curious; what book did you scan the pic of the patriarch from?  I don't think I have seen this particular drawing.

Yes, Pisanello and several other artists either met John VIII and the Byzantine retinue or at least saw them in Florence during the Council.  The Greeks were items of great curiosity and wonder to the Italian artists (and presumably the townsfolk as well).  The artists used their likeliness as models for various religious and historical figures in paintings.  John, Joseph, Bessarion, and Plethon were especially used.

Interesting.  The Septuagint translates the word used for Moses' staff as ράβδος.

PS-I suppose that there is a reason why the Patriarch Gennadios is so simple dressed in the mosaic Byz.Emp. quoted, with Mohamed...

My guess is that he was restricted by Ottoman law from wearing expensive and exalted vestments.  However, Gennadios was given special privileges by Mehmet II, such as that of riding a horse in the City and having a personal audience with the Sultan.

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2009 at 23:05

Hey Patrinos!  Good to see you again.  I am curious; what book did you scan the pic of the patriarch from?  I don't think I have seen this particular drawing.

I've scanned this picture from Istoria tou Hellenikou Ethnous by Ekdotike Athenon,v.10. This painting is in the Gennadios Library in Athens.

One little correction, answering to Eaglecap's question. The inside cloth of the Patriarch in the picture I've quoted is specifically called sphiktourion or anterin(σφικτούριον-αντέριν)  and the covering can be called generally as mandyas(μανδύας).

Here is another depiction of the Patriarch of Constantinopolis, of 16th century, with other clergymen,monks as their headdress shows, the epirriptaria-επιρριπτάρια. From the National Library of Vienna.

And one other depiction from the period we are discussing. It's the Patriarch Ieremias II Tranos(the leading interlocutor with Protestants):

Interesting.  The Septuagint translates the word used for Moses' staff as ράβδος.
Well yes, ραβδος can be generally translated as staff/rod, in modern greek and as neuter ραβδί.

My guess is that he was restricted by Ottoman law from wearing expensive and exalted vestments.  However, Gennadios was given special privileges by Mehmet II, such as that of riding a horse in the City and having a personal audience with the Sultan.
Its true, Mohamed , was a very clever sultan, and understood the Patriarch's influence in the Orthodox world and specifically the Greek world...
Kolokotronis
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 17:27
George Sprantzes was Constantine's personal wardrobe attendant and a Monk so I wonder what he would have dressed like? He is a prominent character in my story. I have read through two primary sources by him and one by Doukas, Turan Bey also
To me 1453 is one of the great epic battles, in history, where you had a huge army against a few defenders. I am sure there has been a movie made in other countries but Hollywierd has never picked up on the great story or have they?? Anyone know of even an old movie about 1453 that is American/Canadian/ UK made- in English I mean.

I looked at the image and the one with the red book is the character I will use in describing George Sprantzes. Good chose????

I have one copy from interlibrary loan of the fall of Constantinople by George Sprantzes. I will make a copy and then type, for my records, the last speech of Constantine XI; as penned down by Sprantzes. It is an amazing speech and with current events it speaks for us today-- both in the USA, Greece or Europe.

Edited by eaglecap - 15-Jun-2009 at 18:05
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2010 at 10:14
Those are pics of the Bulgarian  Patriarch Evtymii, lived at this  time

Here is information about their clothing, but you have to learn bulgarian!

Actually this is translated by google translator

The first liturgical garb was very simple - a long white linen shirt top, called Priest, Albania, or tunic. Priest is a symbol of spiritual joy and moral purity. Put it on other rugs, which are distinctive for three different ministries: tippet (a deacon) epatrahil (a priest) and omofor (for prelates). Without these garments and today no clergyman can not, except in very exceptional circumstances, to carry out its relevant liturgical action. Later it appeared other liturgical vestments. To the general liturgical vestments fall more oversleeves which means links, which were tied the hands of the Savior during his torture. Priest deacon is a coat, and it is made from thicker fabric with wide sleeves. Tippet is placed on the left shoulder. It also means angel wings. Therefore, in the past on it were written words of the angelic doxology: "Holy, holy, holy Lord Savaot ..." Archdeacon of tippet and protodyakonite longer and prepasva a right arm.

Priestly garments are based deacon. Priest is a priest and therefore undergarment is made from soft white linen with narrow sleeves. Once in the ordination of deacon in the priesthood of the rear wing san tippet is transferred around the front door and so received epitrahilat. He is a distinctive and essential garment for the priest. Without it, the priest can not perform any liturgical chinodeystvie. By stole izmolva is God's grace that is poured, as she poured the ointment on the head of the high priest Aaron. Epitrahilat prepasva is a zone that means obrusat (cloth), which girded Christ at the Last Supper on washing the feet of his disciples. Top priest wear a coat in the form of a bell called penula or fenula, felon. Subsequently, for the sake of practicality in the performance of rites, was the front felonat poskasen pozapretnat or so and received its present form felonat means purple, in which prejudice the trial dressed in his Christ, as well as the yoke of pastoral ministry. Winning priests or wear Palitsi nabedrenik, hung on the side of thighs, a symbol of spiritual sword - the word of God.

Bishop's vestments are based priesthood, which is placed over omoforat, a symbol of lost and then found a sheep. There are two types omofori - short and long. The short size is 25 x 250 cm, he said, as mentioned, is namyata shoulders. Long is approximately 25 x 350 cm; it because premiums for the arms that one end lies in front, the other remained behind, and the middle part crawls shoulders and descends in the form of a triangle over his chest. Archbishop felon ever was wider than the priesthood, he was decorated with many crosses, so called polistavrion ie mnogokrastnik. Later Patriarch received a gift from the emperor royal robe called sakos. It looks like a deacon alb. That started to wear clothes and other patriarchs, then - archbishops until finally it became a robe and all the prelates.

As a sign of a particularly high number of ministry in the bishop's vestments appeared crown (turban) - hat decorated with gold and precious stones. To the bishop's vestments and insignia belonging to another mantle - mantle folds with wide and long end, or engolpie Panagia, ie ikonichka most often with the image of St. Mary, which (ikonichka) prelate has hung on the chain with his chest, stick - metal rod with a cross on top - a symbol of spiritual power, and trikiri asbl, ie candlesticks with two candles and three with prelates who blesses people during the service.

Edited by tzar - 17-May-2010 at 10:42
Everybody listen only this which understands.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2010 at 10:33

Greek Patriarch(of Constantinoupolis)- 1580

Kolokotronis
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2010 at 13:42
The guys pictured above certainly did not go out on windy days! Perhaps it rained a lot more back then?

EagleCap wrote;
"I like the Emperor's hat! Can I order one like that from Sears or JC Penney"

No, I am sorry but if you go take a good shower, I can give you a "replica!" (See above post!) of "The Emperor's New Clothes!"

Wear them proudly!

Edited by opuslola - 25-May-2010 at 13:43
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 17:11
Medenaywe, are you hungry? I just love to fry, and eat a piece of Spam! How about you?

Regards,
Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 17:37
There was a lot of advertising before you came.Maybe this is answer for your topic about 2000 years before.People in colorful clothes explain us a lot.Ditto Opusola!(plagiator i am!Big smile).
P.S.Thanks people for this wonderful collection of Byzantine clothes.They look very Persian to me,aren't they?Byzantine Empire ruled 1453+168+? years.(Rome is also included,cause 168b.c. Macedon was conquered by it).Who did natives are here?What had happened all around during those days of eternity, 1721 year?If those people call themselves Romei,than they have forgotten to work ruling the Empire?So
than,whom do you send your money people?LOL

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 08:30
More spam
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 10:04
Am I wrong about it?We all know last statement was 100% true!Persia,Phoenicia,Rome,Charlemagne etc,,etc..,have ruled the world using banking!?!Force was just back up.Greek's debt will never be covered as
they talk!Greeks have more than 80%of governments in Europe.Their Empire is still on.That's my opinion.
Proof:How did all those credits go there?Who did guaranty in banks?Big smile

Edited by medenaywe - 07-Jun-2011 at 10:06
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2011 at 21:01
ControlWink and disbursment of revenue is power Mede nothing new there.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>