Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soviet-Afghanistan war

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WolfHound85 View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WolfHound85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soviet-Afghanistan war
    Posted: 27-May-2009 at 05:30
Hello, I am looking for more information regarding the soviet-Afghanistan war. I heard it began over the Soviets building a school for girls, and the islamists there got upset. Thus the started beheading Soviet personnel. I basically want to collect lots of information pertaining to this war such as the causes, the view of the soviet citizens, American intervention via ISI, and the start of Al-Qaeda, and the Taliban. Also does anyone know any good books about this subject I can't find anything on this subject.
College Student
TheRedBaron View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote TheRedBaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 18:03
Well thats the most bizarre description of that war I have ever heard...

Nothing to do with Afghanistan being a failing communists regime, that was invaded by the Soviets to prop up the regime and take it over altogether.

Sorry, but what you wrote is not the start of the war...

Try the book 'The Bear Went Over the Mountain'.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 19:54
Propaganda.

Russia wanted Afghanistan since the 1860s yet Britain threatened to ally itself with them a combination Russia could not defeat especially that victory alone against Afghanistan was in doubt.

Forward 100 years. Afghanistan was probably the same as it was but now Russia is the USSR. Afghanistan was neutral but had quite a friendly relation with the USSR (to guarantee Pakistan's nice behaviour). Yet after Vietnam something happened in the politburo, their victory there made the comrades there go like mad dogs around the world sponsoring coups, supporting leftists organizations and destabilising stable and sometimes even friendly countries just to assert their supremacy. This what happened in Afghanistan.

When the new guy showed independence from them they replaced with another. When this didn't work they decided to invade the country and force the paradise of communism on the people. People didn't like this and fought for their liberty and values.

Forward 22 years. 9/11. Now Russia comes and tells the world that the reason whay they entered the war in the first place was to stop fundamentalism from spreading into its southern border. But wait a minute, wasn't Russia a closed society back then?

Al-Jassas
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote WolfHound85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 20:01
Originally posted by TheRedBaron

Well thats the most bizarre description of that war I have ever heard...

Nothing to do with Afghanistan being a failing communists regime, that was invaded by the Soviets to prop up the regime and take it over altogether.

Sorry, but what you wrote is not the start of the war...

Try the book 'The Bear Went Over the Mountain'.

I know I was just wondering I saw that explanation on some show made in 1993 about past conflicts. It was on the military channel last week and some of the ideas that said started the war. Made me look deeper into the conflict, but yea I thought the war was started over who would run Afghanistan.
College Student
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 21:00
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Forward 22 years. 9/11. Now Russia comes and tells the world that the reason whay they entered the war in the first place was to stop fundamentalism from spreading into its southern border. But wait a minute, wasn't Russia a closed society back then?
Not only that, but the global Islamacist movement did not exist in 1978. The PLO was a leftist secular group and fundamentalist Iran was Shia with very limited appeal to sunnis. The few sunni Islamacist groups that existed were confined to Egypt or Saudi Arabia (and were being pressed hard by local security forces). Rather, the global Islamacist movement developed largely as a result of the Soviet invasion.   
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote WolfHound85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 04:37
Originally posted by Cryptic

Originally posted by Al Jassas

Not only that, but the global Islamacist movement did not exist in 1978. The PLO was a leftist secular group and fundamentalist Iran was Shia with very limited appeal to sunnis. The few sunni Islamacist groups that existed were confined to Egypt or Saudi Arabia (and were being pressed hard by local security forces). Rather, the global Islamacist movement developed largely as a result of the Soviet invasion.   

True and that is why I think a lot of what happened in the 1980s created an environment for international terrorism. But the biggest event was the funding of the warlords of the Muhjadeen and how they became warlords for the Taliban. Thus I find this topic to be essential in understanding various historic events such as the rise of terrorism and the fall of the soviet union.
College Student
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2009 at 20:57
Originally posted by WolfHound85

But the biggest event was the funding of the warlords of the Muhjadeen and how they became warlords for the Taliban. Thus I find this topic to be essential in understanding various historic events such as the rise of terrorism and the fall of the soviet union.
I disagree, not all warlords joined the Taliban coalition. Also, the U.S. funding was not blind and the direct support went to relatively secular groups (by Afghan standards). 

The biggest factor in the rise of terrorism was the Afghan civil war that started after the Soviets left. Tens of thousands of Islamic radicals from all over the world moved to Afghanistan. Some moved voluntarily, others were fleeing arrest in their home countries and others were "deported" by their own nations who wanted to get rid of problem people.

Once there, they joined with earlier anti Soviet fighters and were allowed to stay by the Taliban.  Not only did they share the same ideology as the Talibans, but the Taliban needed fighters of any kind in their battles with the Alliance warlords. Also, the foreigners quickly realized that it did not take much money in impoverished Afghanistan to buy alot of influence.

Once they started to tthrive, train and expand in Afghanistan, they branched out to Chechneya, Bosnia, Kashmir, etc.

Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote WolfHound85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2009 at 06:07
True some warlords were apart of the Northern Alliance however, the affects of the Soviet war changed the geo-political landscapes throughout the middle east. As well as one of the factors that brought down the soviet union.
College Student
 Post Reply Post Reply