Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why never join forces against siam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kent Aoshima View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kent Aoshima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why never join forces against siam?
    Posted: 26-May-2009 at 18:42
Thailand previously known as Siam has been all along a very aggressive nation even today. They are rather violent as well.

Siam has been the aggressor who had waged war against her neighbour at many times. she is all out to conquer & invade Myanma ( Burma), Laos, cambodia , Even vietnam as well. they also tried to conquer malaysia & that singapore which was singapura that time was a protected state of siam.

Siam (Thailand) has very bad relationship with her neighbours even today still the same. in the history of South east asia, purly in terms of military they have always been the strongest & most powerful.

why didn't burma, laos, cambodia & vietnam join forces against they common enemy siam? 
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 17:19
Kent, if you studied your history, you'd know that Siam, Burma, Cambodia, Champa, Dang Trong (South and Central Vietnam under the Nguyen), Laos, and Vietnam have fought many wars with each other over the past five hundred years. And many of these wars involved alliances. Champa was reduced to a single vassal state by Dang Trong, and then dissolved by a reunified Vietnam in the 1830s. Kampuchea Krom (the Mekong Delta from Saigon to Ha Tien and Ca Mau) was taken from Cambodia by Dang Trong in the mid-1700s in a war that pitted Dang Trong against Siam. Essentially, it was a war over which side of the Cambodian Royal family would ascend to the throne. As you can infer from this, the Siamese were not the only aggressive state in SEA. Perhaps its fair to say that all had been fairly aggressive when at the height of their powers.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2009 at 19:07

lirelou,

While there where many wars of mutual aggression between the mainland SE Asian kingdoms, Champa was by far the most aggressive.  Vietnam and Thailand were always in parity.  Historically, neither was ever really stronger than the other.  The Khmers and the Loatians were always the weakest.  If it wasn't for the French, both Vietnam and Thailand would probably have annexed Laos and Cambodia.  Indeed Vietnam lost a big slice of land due to the French.  But then again, it was given back to its rightful owners.

Although after the Vietnam War, or the "American War" if you're Vietnamese, Vietnam was and probably still is much stronger than Thailand.  When Hanoi invaded Cambodia, they could have gone clear thru Thailand if they wanted to, but both the US and the PRC knew this and repeatedly warned Hanoi of a joint attack on Vietnam if that were to happen.  The Vietnamese army was invading Thailand at will.  (Thailand couldn't have gone up against superpowers like China and the US, as N. Vietnam did.)  Of course, I seriously doubt Hanoi wanted to invade Thailand, even though the Thai took part in the Vietnam War, and of course they were supporting the Khmer Rouge who repeatedly attacked Vietnam.

Edited by TranHungDao - 09-Oct-2009 at 19:11
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 06:10
Originally posted by Kent Aoshima

Thailand previously known as Siam has been all along a very aggressive nation even today. They are rather violent as well.

Thailand's hasn't had any wars since the 19th century.

Siam has been the aggressor who had waged war against her neighbour at many times. she is all out to conquer & invade Myanma ( Burma), Laos, cambodia , Even vietnam as well. they also tried to conquer malaysia & that singapore which was singapura that time was a protected state of siam.

So have the Vietnamese, Burmese Malays, Cambodian and Lao, they've all attacked and invaded each other equally throughout history.

Siam (Thailand) has very bad relationship with her neighbours even today still the same. in the history of South east asia, purly in terms of military they have always been the strongest & most powerful.

Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore are the crux of Asien. They pioneered transnational trade, movement of labour, trasportation and treaties. Also they have had the same foriegn policy since the Vietnam war. Vietnam is the strongest militarily, the last time the Thai military did anything was a border skirmish with Lao in the 1980's which they lost to a bunch pf Lao farmers with wwi weapon they outnumber 20/1. Thai army is dreadful quality and more about internal politics than foreign war.

why didn't burma, laos, cambodia & vietnam join forces against they common enemy siam? 

Siam wasn't a common enemy. Vietnam was more interested in fighting Lao and Cambodia than allying. Burma was the major power in the region and Siam the buffer state. Burma invaded and conquered Thailand twice. Siam was also invaded by Lao and subject to Cambodia for centuries. Thailand in turn conquered Lao once and parts of Cambodia and Northern Malaysia just as the British and French arrive and shut the door on any advance.

Edited by Pytheus - 10-Oct-2009 at 06:20
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 07:18
Originally posted by Pytheus

Thailand's hasn't had any wars since the 19th century.
Thailand did have one or two divisions serving in country during the Vietnam War.
Thailand was supporting the Khmer Rouge.

Siam wasn't a common enemy.  Vietnam was more interested in fighting Lao and Cambodia than allying.
True and true.

Burma was the major power in the region and Siam the buffer state. Burma invaded and conquered Thailand twice. Siam was also invaded by Lao and subject to Cambodia for centuries. Thailand in turn conquered Lao once and parts of Cambodia and Northern Malaysia just as the British and French arrive and shut the door on any advance.

Burma?  LOL.  Try China.  The Thai, Lao, and Hmong should know...  They were chased clear out of China.

If it wasn't for Vietnam, Thailand, Loas, and Cambodia would all be Chinese provinces.  The Vietnamese were the true gate keepers.  Damn good ones too, I might ad. Cool

I can't remember which dynasty, but a Vietnamese emperor actually sent an (hostile) expeditionary force well into Burma.  I think Burma once paid tribute to Vietnam, IIRC.

The most aggressive in SE Asia was not the Thai.  With the exception of the Chams, the wars were mutually aggressive on the whole.  But unfortunately for the Lao and the Khmer's, they were always the weaker of the players.  Thailand of course swallowed up most of the old Khmer Empire, which was quite vast in its hey day.

Edited by TranHungDao - 10-Oct-2009 at 07:23
Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 07:34
Burma at one point Burma was the most powerful country in the world, between the 1760's and the first Anglo-Burmese war, they conquered Thailand, defeated China in two wars, conquered parts of India and defeated the Maharathas. There's a country punching way above it's weight.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 07:52

The Chinese invaded Vietnam at least 10 times in the last 1000 years.  The Vietnamese are batting 1000.  Never lost once.

Do you think the Chinese would have stopped at Vietnam?

During the first millenium when Vietnam was a Chinese province, the very fierce and aggressive Chams were in a way the gatekeepers of SE Asia.  They actually raided Vietnam repeatedly, i.e. they were raiding China, since Vietnam was a Chinese province.  Of course the Chinese were constantly attacked from the north by the Mongols.

No matter what, Burma is not China.  BTW, how big were the Chinese forces sent into Burma?  The ones sent into Vietnam were typically 200,000 or more.  The biggest was a 500,000 Mongol/Yuan army.  They came, they saw, they were conquered.  LOL

Pytheus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Pytheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 08:16
There were two invasions of 200,000 or more.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 10:18
Quote: "Although after the Vietnam War, or the "American War" if you're Vietnamese, Vietnam was and probably still is much stronger than Thailand."

Actually, Your esteemed Highness, most Vietnamese I know call it the "North-South War". Some simply refers to it as the war against the North. And I refer to Vietnamese living in Vietnam today, south of the 17th Paralel.

Quote: "Indeed Vietnam lost a big slice of land due to the French.  But then again, it was given back to its rightful owners."

Yes, but the French gave Vietnam rights to slices of Kampuchea Krom, as well as the Champa Highlands (Kontum, Plieku, and Ban Me Thuot) which did not rightfully belong to Vietnam. Of course, that water has now passed under the bridge forever. Like the Americans, the Vietnamese can say: "We stole it, fair and clear." And the truth is that the inhabitants would be better off for it, if only the average Kinh living in those territories would treat their neighbors as they would a Kinh.

And we should add, sometimes the Chinese invaded at the specific request of the Emperor, or to one of two warring sides in a civil war.

Edited by lirelou - 10-Oct-2009 at 10:20
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 10:27

There were two invasions of 200,000 or more.

There were a total of 4 invasions.  I'm seeing much smaller numbers though.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 10:44
Originally posted by lirelou

Actually, Your esteemed Highness, most Vietnamese I know call it the "North-South War". Some simply refers to it as the war against the North. And I refer to Vietnamese living in Vietnam today, south of the 17th Paralel.

Actually Mr. Snide remarks, I'm referring to the people North of the 17th, and the official government position.  Hanoi is correct to call it the "American War".  Declassified CIA papers prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that every single election in South Vietnam was rigged because the communists would have won every year, from 1955-75.  No Saigon regime was legit.  They could only act within a box.  Leave those parameters and Uncle Sam immediately gave the green light for the next clowns to step into the Presidential palace.  

Future generations will refer to it as the American War.

BTW, I'm not a communist by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes, but the French gave Vietnam rights to slices of Kampuchea Krom, as well as the Champa Highlands (Kontum, Plieku, and Ban Me Thuot) which did not rightfully belong to Vietnam. Of course, that water has now passed under the bridge forever. Like the Americans, the Vietnamese can say: "We stole it, fair and clear." And the truth is that the inhabitants would be better off for it, if only the average Kinh living in those territories would treat their neighbors as they would a Kinh.

You need to look at maps of Vietnam just before the French.  Vietnam was seriously fatter along it's 1000 mile western border with Laos and Cambodia.  We lost those lands which we stole fair & square, as opposed to "fair and clear".

And we should add, sometimes the Chinese invaded at the specific request of the Emperor, or to one of two warring sides in a civil war.

And we should further add the Chinese always have their own motives, such as reannexing Dai Viet during Ming invasion when they also destroyed our national records going back 1500 years.

Any Vietnamese ruler foolish enough to trust the Middle Kingdom is not fit to rule.

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2009 at 09:14

[/quote]

Actually Mr. Snide remarks, I'm referring to the people North of the 17th, and the official government position.  Hanoi is correct to call it the "American War".  Declassified CIA papers prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that every single election in South Vietnam was rigged because the communists would have won every year, from 1955-75.  No Saigon regime was legit.

Declassified CIA documents can only tell you what some analyst in the CIA thought. I think you're confusing South Vietnamese internal elections with the still-born 1956 plebiscite for reunification. I can assure that the Communists would have received few votes in any free election in Dien Khanh district of Khanh Hoa in 1968. My in-laws in Hau Giang would have voted Communist, but that would have hardly been of their own free will. Community pressure, reinforced by the fact that their closest neighbor was a feared member of the VC infrastructure, would have influenced their votes. (Post-war, the neighbor's son murdered a girl who spurned his attentions. He buried her in the family garden. No one, not even the girl's parents, ever reported her murder. Fear was a potent weapon.)

My apologies for any snide remarks, but the memory of dead comrades sometimes colors my emotions. I will try to be more careful. By the way, if you see the old ARVN as a 'puppet Army', another term favored by many who insist it was an 'American' War, I would recommend Andrew Wiest's "Vietnam's Forgotten Army: Heroism and Betrayal in the ARVN", published by New York University Press.  Wiest would agree with some of the "American War" characterization, but he also lays out a strong case for an ARVN that often fought courageously, but was hampered by severe institutional flaws. Reminded me of Bao Ninh's comment in "The Sorrow of War". "If they are puppets," Kien wonders, "why to they fight so hard?"

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2009 at 12:48

Declassified CIA documents can only tell you what some analyst in the CIA thought.

First, I read this from a scholarly source several years ago.  So my memory as to what it said exactly is hardly verbatim.

Regardless, I still have to disagree.  There's a reason why shady regimes don't hold free and fair elections:  They're gonna lose!  BIG TIME.

I remember from my Vietnam War history class, which I took with an enminent scholar, who spent a lot of time in-country during the war... He discussed how US advisors unsuccessfully tried to convince Diem to "win" a presidential election by only 60-70% (or something to that extent), but Diem was adamant his victory had to be well over 90%. LOL, in the US, 55% is considered a landslide.

The communists where very popular right after WWII.  They had done a decent job resisting the Japanese.  They liberated grain silos and distributed food to the starving.  (Recall the horrific famine of 1945 cause by the Japanese (and perhaps the French as well), i.e. they were using rice as fuel run their trains.  This famine killed two million people.  In 1912, the French were responsible for another 2 million deaths when they kept exporting rice, which under the Vietnamese emperors was strickly forbidden; so famines never ever occured before nor since their ouster in 1954.  There numerous famines under the French.)

The communists were also very popular when they ousted the French, i.e. Dien Bien Phu.  The US and the PRC, each with its own motives, conspired to keep Vietnam perminently divided in 1955.  The US promised to hold free and fair elections, but they broke that promise, which then was all Hanoi needed as justificcation to violated the 1955 Geneva deal. 

One of the biggest problems for non-communist nationalists, was that the communists had killed off so many of the good leaders, leaving only pathetic clowns like Diem, Thieu, Ky, etc., to run South Vietnam.  And no less against a leadership such as in Hanoi which was doing circles around Washington when it came to strategic thinking.  Hanoi completely outclassed Washington.  Washington kept arrogantly relying on technology; Hanoi knew this and turned America's strength into her weakness:  Bankrupt the United States with a prolonged War.  Technology is expensive; armies are expensive, as we all know.  Vietnamese have been doing this to the Chinese invaders for a millenium.  Dynasties, Middle Kingdom and otherwise, fall when the people live in misery because they are being taxed to death to support a war of aggression, i.e. an un-necessary war.  Hanoi, which still does not allow free press, did the same with America's other strength:  Freedrom of the Press.  They used it to a devastating advantage.

Had South Vietnam survived, it would have become like South Korea.  S. Korea was a ruled by a corrupt military junta up until 1979.  It took them 27 years to become a democracy, and they were at peace the whole time!  Vietnam was in the middle of raging war.  Democracy would have taken decades to achieve!

Mind you, my guess is that as early as 1978 or 1979, if the communist in Hanoi were to have held elections, they would have lost in a landslide.  That's human nature.  When you're literally starving to death as in 1912 or 1945 thanks to French and/or Japanese colonists, or being bombed to death by the "Yankee imperialists" in "free fire zones", then any alternative is great, including communism.  But when things just suck due to an embargo, then communism sucks and the commies would lose in a landslide if they were to hold free and fair elections.  They certainly would lose now.  About two years ago, a poll carried out by a Vietnamese newspaper in Vietnam found that Bill Gates was the most admired man in Vietnam, rather than Uncle Ho.  Needless to say, that particular edition of the paper which published the result was quicly confiscated by the government.

I don't know much, but I know this:  Germans love David Hasselhoff.  And Vietnamese love Bill Gates.  He was mobbed like a rock star. 

the memory of dead comrades sometimes colors my emotions.

FYI, my father was an ARVN colonel.  Grew up very consevative, but became a dirty-pinko-commie-liberal in college.  (Not really a commie by the way, since I believe in one person, one vote.) 

But we're gettin' way off topic...

Edited by TranHungDao - 11-Oct-2009 at 12:54
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2009 at 21:14
Quote:  "They had done a decent job resisting the Japanese."

There was no resistance to the Japanese! That's a myth. Cite me a single instance of Viet Minh 'resistance' to the Japanese. I know of one 'battle', and that was waged as the war was ending for specific purposes. The enemy was the French! The Japanese were inclined to recognize Vietnamese independence, albeit under a more conservative group.

Shady regimes? Show me a regime more shady than the Viet Minh of 1945. Who was it that elected Ho Chi Minh president of the DRVN? How many 'electors' were there?  And what was the percentage of the vote? And the answer is "Zero". He was self-appointed. It was totally an in-house deal! I'd recommend you read David Marr's "Vietnam - 1945 The Quest for Power". And you don't have to look far on the Vietnamese language internet to see who the first group the VM turned their guns on: The VNQDD!

The Communists were very popular because they 'ousted the French'? Yes, that's true. Even the Southern Nationalists tried to claim credit for that. Though the French had ceased fighting for a Vietnamese colony by 1949, and were fighting to defeat what they saw as and anti-western regime in favor of non-Communist government. Indeed, the majority of 'French' troops killed at DBP were ethnic Vietnamese. The U.S. and China conspired to divide Vietnam? Hell, Vietnam had been recognized as divided into two vietnamese states as early as 1744, by the Chinese, who were the arbitrators of such questions vis-a-vis Vietnam. The U.S. had no authority or power to mandate "free and fair" elections in Vietnam. That was an internal Vietnamese responsibility. And again, you are conflating the 1956 plebiscite with national RVN elections. Not the same!

In re Korea. you should read up on Korea before making such innocent statements (the '60s and 70's were a time to constant military confrontations. Google "Blue house 1968" And South Korea still maintains the world's 6th largest armed forces). But the only real facts of importance are: First, Korea did transition through strong man rule, like Singapore and Taiwan, to a multi-party democracy whose citizens enjoy far greater freedoms than those of the DRVN. And second, Korea pulled itself up by its bootstraps to become the 10th (now 13th) largest economy in the world. Vietnam's economy is now back up to where it was in 1972. What does that tell you? Oh, right, it is really growing at a fast rate. Yes, that's relative, and they started from Zero thanks to the Party and HCM.

Finally, Washington only fell back upon 'technology' when it became clear that the ARVN was losing. Yes, Wiest and others argue that part of that was due to a U.S. insistance upon building an ARVN that mirrored Western military technology and thought. I'd agree with him if one) the VC were truly an independent force. (we know they weren't) And two) had moved to Stage III and won the war. They did not! They were virtually extinct by 1975. The Army that invaded the South and defeated the ARVN was a Mechanized and Armored army. Exactly what the ARVN had been originally organized to fight. Except that cutbacks in assistance and funding had greatly reduced their capacity to confront such a enemy. The U.S. had cruelly written them off, thanks to Communist propaganda campaigns that had convinced the same fools that were your and my professors, and the U.S. electorate, that Vietnam and the ARVN was not worthy of the effort.

Honor your father's sacrifices, and don't let fools color your vision. There were brave and honorable men on both sides, but only one side was truly in the right.  And Yes, the original topic was why no one ever joined forces against Siam, which you and I know to be incorrect. Hopefully our comrade has since learned of Mac Cu'u, his son Mac Thinh Tu, and the efforts of the Nguyen Lords against the Siamese in Cambodia.

toi cung roi mot co van, nhung co van voi luc luong dac biet  VNCH.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2009 at 07:56

Geeze Loise, we've not just hijacked this thread, but it's turning into quite the quagmire.

lirelou, I'll start a new thread on the Japanese occupation of Vietnam.  I'll debate you a little on that stuff.  I'm not gonna debate you on S. Vietnam vs N. Vietnam.  It'll take forever and neither side will concede to the other.  I know what I know.  My statements are based on highly regarded scholarship.  I don't cite N. Vietnamese communist scholarship, nor S. Vietnamese scholarship, both of which I consider scholastic atrocities.

My favourite authors are:

Stanley Karnow

David Marr

Alfred McCoy

Gabriel Kolko

One of these bozo's was my prof. Clown

Shady regimes? Show me a regime more shady than the Viet Minh of 1945. Who was it that elected Ho Chi Minh president of the DRVN? How many 'electors' were there? And what was the percentage of the vote? And the answer is "Zero". He was self-appointed. It was totally an in-house deal!

How many votes did our past emperors, such as Le Loi,  win when they ruled?  Answer:  ZERO 

The U.S. and China conspired to divide Vietnam? Hell, Vietnam had been recognized as divided into two vietnamese states as early as 1744, by the Chinese, who were the arbitrators of such questions vis-a-vis Vietnam. The U.S. had no authority or power to mandate "free and fair" elections in Vietnam.

Please tell me you're joking.

Do you have any idea how many democracies have been overthrown by the CIA in the last 60 years, much less governments in general?  Chile, Greece, Iran, Guatemala.... to name just a few.  And these were DEMOCRACIES.  The so-called "War on Terror" has its very roots in the overthrow of Iranian democracy in 1953.  You do know that it was for oil right, just as Iraq is now?

It is well know Diem was "removed" because the US wanted him out.  

He was free to do whatever he was told.  When he stopped...

No subsequent regime nor coup d'état took place without explicit White House approval.  No one, Khanh, Kỳ, Thieu etc., dared to take power without Uncle Sam's blessing.

Edited by TranHungDao - 12-Oct-2009 at 09:11
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2009 at 09:03

Try this book:

Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq

by Stephen Kinzer

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mg9UN_YjovkC&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq=landsdale+diem&source=bl&ots=jxQTXNmEO0&sig=SrYmM-TSvNr5xuwKYwrwpFOAxBg&hl=en&ei=elDTSoWFGY-csgP7g6nQCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=landsdale%20diem&f=false

Diem was hand picked by Sec. of State John Foster Dulles' miracle worker, CIA super agent Colonel Edward G. Landsdale who pulled of quite a miracle in picking Magsaysay in the Philipines just a few years earlier.  Diem got out of line.  He got whacked.  End of story.  Or rather, end of chapter one.

Read pages 151-154.  Really, really interesting stuff.  Landsdale was quite the wiry, resourceful crazy genius.  But he scewed up in picking Diem.  BIG TIME.

P.S.  lirelou, I'm done hijacking posting in this thread.  Will start the thread on the "Japanese Occupation of Vietnam" soon.

Edited by TranHungDao - 12-Oct-2009 at 09:08
 Post Reply Post Reply