Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Indian Books gone wrong......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indian Books gone wrong......
    Posted: 07-May-2009 at 20:07
Iirelou does make a good point, but Seko you are riite, this topic is bout books, the new and old. 
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 20:36
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Iirelou does make a good point, but Seko you are riite, this topic is bout books, the new and old. 

I brought up some books written by Native Americans which could serve as an inspiration. I realize they were written by other tribes but I think they serve as a good example.
I think contrasting customs with other cultures both native and non native would be a great idea. Do you have any tribal elders you can get advice or suggestions from Canadian Guy. These cultures and their customs need people like you to fight to preserve them for future generations. When I was in Greece I saw the Greek culture my mother and grandparents grew up in vanishing because of; Americanism, globalism and other outside influences, it really saddened me.

Also maybe learn the oral traditions and become a verbal story teller with your tribe and non indians when allowed. Most of all respect the elders because traditions are the fiber that holds cultures together. What is sacred should be respected and I sense you know this.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 22:52
There are stories that were only told w/in the clan. I know many, but cannot say them. My sacred name is not to be told by anyone, but in my clan. Also, I know my ancestral language well.  There are some stories that I can tell, but they are very long and I do not feel like writing them down now. I am tried and had little sleep. I miite write a cuople later, if anyone is interested?
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2009 at 23:50

There are stories that were only told w/in the clan. I know many, but cannot say them. My sacred name is not to be told by anyone, but in my clan. Also, I know my ancestral language well.  There are some stories that I can tell, but they are very long and I do not feel like writing them down now. I am tried and had little sleep. I miite write a cuople later, if anyone is interested?

I would enjoy that. I should post the story about the Black foot women who traveled across the Montana- Idaho wilderness to marry a Coeur d' Alene man. She met the wrong Coeur d' Alene and married him but later she found out. This story is special to me because it describes just how wild and dangerous travel across this region was in those days. I have hiked much of the area and I worked at the old mission. The story took place after the Coeur d' Alene tribe had converted to the Roman Catholic faith. I do not think the Blackfoot tribe had converted at that time to Christianity and were feared by both the white man and other tribes. Did the other more peaceful tribes like the Spokan-e consider them Savages?

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 20:23
It was strange yesterday I gathered some more broken sea shells and then later under a bright moon I stood where they had their seashell work shop. In my mind’s eye I could see the people we call the Hohokham culture performing their ceremonies right before me. I wonder what stories they had to tell but now it is lost in the sands of time. I have a reproduction of an ancient Greek krater where I keep all the broken pieces of shell. The Krater has images of the Geek gods. I found one that was cut precisely and held it for a while wishing it could speak. I understand Canadian guys need to keep some aspect secret and only for his people so maybe this is also true about the stories and ceremonies of the ancient Hohokham people. Not every tribe has the same view about this because culturally they can be as different as the Greek/Italians are from the Brits/Swedes. It is cool to know that there was a small village where I live long ago but I think the modern farming there destroyed a lot- apricot trees.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 19:44
Looks like this thread will soon be on its deathbed-

I picked up an interesting book titled: "Talking Pots; Deciphering the Symbols of a Prehistoric People" by James R. Cunkle the director of White Mountain Archaeological Center in Arizona. I would suspect he gathers his information about the symbols from Native Americans. I have not had the chance to read it yet but I got the book to help me understand what Bronze-Age Greek symbols could mean.

Canadian guy would it violate tradition to write about the symbols of your tribe? or even contrast them with other tribes??
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 20:03
Off topic but interesting. Once I send a standard drawing of the Mapuche, whose meaning I knew, to a Sioux friend in the U.S. I met by Internet. I was quite surprised his interpretation of the diagram matched what I previously knew of Mapuche symbolics.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2009 at 19:54
Originally posted by pinguin

Off topic but interesting. Once I send a standard drawing of the Mapuche, whose meaning I knew, to a Sioux friend in the U.S. I met by Internet. I was quite surprised his interpretation of the diagram matched what I previously knew of Mapuche symbolics.

I do not know what Canadian Guy thinks about this but I do not think it is off topic and contrasting other native traditions would be a great idea. I got the book "Talking Pots" so I can compare symbols in Greek history so I can theorize what they could have meant to Bronze Age Mediterranean cultures. Unlike the nomadic tribes these cultures, in talking Pots, were Copper Age. If only they had found tin and had draft animals.

I think you were find the stories of the agricultural tribes different from the nomadic tribes; since they focused more on the fertility of the Earth.
Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Carcharodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 17:39
Originally posted by pinguin

I see, at least from my point of view, you guys are confussed. The only "white" people is blond, blue eyed, pink skinned and tall. The rest are mixed. Either in Europe or in the Americas.

It seems that the concept of whiteness varies in different parts of the world. Here also short people with brown, or even black, hair and brown eyes are considered white.
Most people here consider south Europeans to be white too, not only north Europeans.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2009 at 19:20

Canadian Guy are there any good stories that you can post; only ones you are allowed to repeat I mean. (???)

Creation stories are always interesting from the Native American view point.
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 07:51
I will have some stories on soon. Most of the stories I want and can put on last for days to tell. I need to make them simple and short for the members on this forum board. Don't get me wrong, they may take up most of the page, if not more. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678