Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Puerto Ricans in mainland USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puerto Ricans in mainland USA
    Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 15:18
I've never met any Puerto Ricans, so I have no idea of their character and behaviour.

I have however, known a handful of Cubans and Dominicans; and although the 2 countries are geographically close and share a common cultural base: Spanish and West African; most Cubans and Dominicans that I've met tend be very different in behaviour.

I know I'm applying stereotypes here, but here I go...

Most Cubans I've met tend to be very well-educated people. People who probably have more common knowledge than most western Europeans. They are generally respectful to other people's customs, but very smooth talkers; and have the reputation of being insincere.
Most Dominicans I've met tend to be rather coarse and brutish in behaviour. They talk much louder, and often play music on the streets and hold drinking parties. Although hard-working, they tend to be slow and laid-back; but compared to Cubans they are usually more transparent and down-to-Earth.

(just my impression, which could be wrong because I've never been to either countries)

What are Puerto Ricans like in this repect? More similar to Cubans or to Dominicans?

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 22:32
Well, it is dangerous to generalize, but even popular stereotypes have their basis in observed behaviour. And within Puerto RIco, the social mores of the various Socio-economic classes do differ.

The average "Juan Del Pueblo".  Loud, loves to drink, play dominoes, and really loved to chase women when he was younger. Sincere, opinionated, prone to "bochinchear", loves gossip, the sports pages, pelea de gallo, and dominos. Can usually sing, play at least one musical instrument, or give an impressive speech on a moment's notice. Loves to improvise with language. Two Puertorricans are a duo, three are a trio, and four or more are a legitimate musical band. Will do anything for a friend, and anything to an enemy, if he gets the chance. Definitely wants a job, not necessarily hard working. Four and a half days are considered maximum, as Friday afternoon is "viernes social". Votes based upon party and family loyalties, but will jump ship to vote for another Party if someone in that Party has done an immediate family member a "favor". Small wonder that nepotism is rampant in Puerto Rico, as reflected in the popular saying "El que tiene padrino se bautiza." Ultra-nationalistic. Puerto Rico is the navel of the universe. Everything in Puerto Rico is so much better than anything else that anyone else could have. The world's most beautiful women are Puertorrican, the tastiest food, Puertorrican, the best rum, Puertorrican, the very best latin music, Puertorrican, ad nauseum. And, of course, the Spanish spoken is the closest to purest Castillian, because Juancha' prima once had some in-law whose cousin studied in Spain, and that's what she was told on good authority.  And, of course, Puerto Rico has the highest standard of living in all of Latin America, etc., etc., etc.

All that said, Puertorricans are the salt of the earth. I was very proud to have once been counted among them.

I was quite shocked to go out for lunch in Hong Kong and discover that Puerto Ricans are not the loudest talkers in the world. The Hong Kong Chinese make them sound absolutely soft-spoken.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 23:50
the description sounds pretty similar to the typical chulo madrileño from the working class barrios south of the city.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12