Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Puerto Ricans in mainland USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puerto Ricans in mainland USA
    Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 23:50
the description sounds pretty similar to the typical chulo madrileño from the working class barrios south of the city.
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 22:32
Well, it is dangerous to generalize, but even popular stereotypes have their basis in observed behaviour. And within Puerto RIco, the social mores of the various Socio-economic classes do differ.

The average "Juan Del Pueblo".  Loud, loves to drink, play dominoes, and really loved to chase women when he was younger. Sincere, opinionated, prone to "bochinchear", loves gossip, the sports pages, pelea de gallo, and dominos. Can usually sing, play at least one musical instrument, or give an impressive speech on a moment's notice. Loves to improvise with language. Two Puertorricans are a duo, three are a trio, and four or more are a legitimate musical band. Will do anything for a friend, and anything to an enemy, if he gets the chance. Definitely wants a job, not necessarily hard working. Four and a half days are considered maximum, as Friday afternoon is "viernes social". Votes based upon party and family loyalties, but will jump ship to vote for another Party if someone in that Party has done an immediate family member a "favor". Small wonder that nepotism is rampant in Puerto Rico, as reflected in the popular saying "El que tiene padrino se bautiza." Ultra-nationalistic. Puerto Rico is the navel of the universe. Everything in Puerto Rico is so much better than anything else that anyone else could have. The world's most beautiful women are Puertorrican, the tastiest food, Puertorrican, the best rum, Puertorrican, the very best latin music, Puertorrican, ad nauseum. And, of course, the Spanish spoken is the closest to purest Castillian, because Juancha' prima once had some in-law whose cousin studied in Spain, and that's what she was told on good authority.  And, of course, Puerto Rico has the highest standard of living in all of Latin America, etc., etc., etc.

All that said, Puertorricans are the salt of the earth. I was very proud to have once been counted among them.

I was quite shocked to go out for lunch in Hong Kong and discover that Puerto Ricans are not the loudest talkers in the world. The Hong Kong Chinese make them sound absolutely soft-spoken.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 15:18
I've never met any Puerto Ricans, so I have no idea of their character and behaviour.

I have however, known a handful of Cubans and Dominicans; and although the 2 countries are geographically close and share a common cultural base: Spanish and West African; most Cubans and Dominicans that I've met tend be very different in behaviour.

I know I'm applying stereotypes here, but here I go...

Most Cubans I've met tend to be very well-educated people. People who probably have more common knowledge than most western Europeans. They are generally respectful to other people's customs, but very smooth talkers; and have the reputation of being insincere.
Most Dominicans I've met tend to be rather coarse and brutish in behaviour. They talk much louder, and often play music on the streets and hold drinking parties. Although hard-working, they tend to be slow and laid-back; but compared to Cubans they are usually more transparent and down-to-Earth.

(just my impression, which could be wrong because I've never been to either countries)

What are Puerto Ricans like in this repect? More similar to Cubans or to Dominicans?

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 00:38
     "I thought that the vast majority (80%) of Puerto Ricans have more or less direct Spanish ancestry, at least that's what they claim."

Virtually all Puertorricans have Spanish ancestry, and those that don't are newcomers who will have it within a generation or two. But, that Spanish ancestry is mixed with Portuguese (Portuguese troops garrisoned the island in it early days, when Portugal was part of Spain). Italian and Corsican (19th Century immigration), African (slavery), and American Indian (not Taino, as so popularly believed, but rather the result of the sales of Indian slaves who had revolted in either Mexico, or the New England Colonies, and the arrival of loyalist Mestizo refugees from the South American wars of independence (particularly Venezuela). There were also a few Irish (Marshall Demetrio O'Daly de la Puente of teh Spanish Army was from just outside San Juan), Sephardic Jews, and Arabs who added to the mix. Popular culture in Puerto Rico loudly proclaims that all Boricua are the descendants of Spanish conquistadors, Taino women, and African slaves. Indeed, you can find a mural depicting such near San German's new city hall. Ironically, San German (my old home town) is one of the "whitest" towns on the Island. There is still immigration in from Spain, as there is in most Latin-American countries, and there is certainly no anti-Spanish sentiment in Puerto Rico. To quote a line from "Preciosa", one of Puerto Rico's unofficial national anthems. "Y tienes la noble hidalguia de la Madre Espana, y el bravio del Indio Taino lo tienes tambien..."

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2009 at 00:04
I also read from a source that prior to the 1940s most Puerto Ricans in New York were well-educated, skilled and semi-skilled artisans and white-collar workers; making them better positioned than some Irish and Italians at the time.

It was the post WWII immigration that was mostly poor. Many of them settled in the same neighbourhoods where their compatriots, turning the neighbouhoods into crowded slums.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 23:58
But rather than adopting that work ethic, the general trend is to belittle those on the top as "ricos", pretending that they were always that way, or ridiculing them as "whiteys", implying that their lighter, more Spanish features put them on top. One of the more popular English words used in Puertorrican Spanish "party". Res ipsa loquitur, as the "Spaniard" in "Gladiator" would have said. Simply put, it is different from Spain because five hundred of years of history have made it Puerto Rico, for better or worse. To see one Party's view of why that is so, you might try the Partido Independentista Puerotrriqueno (PIP) website.

I thought that the vast majority (80%) of Puerto Ricans have more or less direct Spanish ancestry, at least that's what they claim; and that politically, P.R. and Spain had been one country until 1899. For this very reason Puerto Ricans generally have more pro-Spanish attitudes compared to Mexicans and other Latin Americans, who had fought against the Spanish to gain independence.
The 500 years of separation was purely geographical.

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 23:53
     "Well,US media in the past downplayed achievements of minority so there have some non-White high achievers not known to general American public."

You'd have a hard time proving that the "US Media" did any such thing. You can find stories about Black Cavalry troopers in the 1898 Salt Lake Tribune, you could find stories mentioning Madame C.J. Walker, America's first Black female millionaire, in the New York newspaper social pages in the 1910s and 1920s. Pedro Del Valle came up in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s Marine Corps, which was largely officered by Southern Whites. But Del Valle was hardly "non-White", and in the war news, he was simply "General Del Valle", which most Marines pronounced "Del Valley" . You would no more write "Puerto Rican General Pedro Del Valle" than you would "Virginian Colonel Chesty Puller". All people cared about was that he was leading their sons against heavy Japanese resistance in one of the worst battles of the war.

It's not that racism didn't exist at that period, the 1910s were the era of the greatest expansion in Klu Klux Klan history. It's just that their were Black newspapers, ethnic Newspapers, and general circulation newspapers, and the great majority of the stories published by the last catered to their local audience. Golf stories were rare outside the big cities of the South, but the Friday night football game at the town High School was probably covered in great detail. Things were changing by the 1950s. Regional papers, still important, started losing circulation to the big city papers, and editorial policies chanaged with them. When "I love Lucy" became a big hit, "Ricky Ricardo" was the very first Cuban that most Americans had ever seen outside the movies. Naturally, it was set in a large city, but its popularity was nationwide. Cuban, then Caribbean music, found a niche in mainstream America. Jazz became the "cool" thing among the beatnicks, and while much of Jazz arose from the Black musical experience, Latin rythms had influenced them, thanks to Henry Europe and the 369th Infantry (Negro) band. Then came the Puertorrican migration, followed closely by the Cubans. Puertorricans (and Cubans) had been in New York since the late 1800s, but with the founding of the Estado Libre Asociado, Munoz-Marin started encouraging poor Puertorricans to migrate to New York (and Miami, Chicago, and other cities) to relieve the pressure on the Island. In many ways, those first arriving Latins opened the door, and made "diversity" the value it is today. 

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by lirelou

Pebbles, I assume you're nominating them as having achieved the American dream. Well, they are merely the latest.

Those names came to mind at the time of posting.

Well,US media in the past downplayed achievements of minority so there have some non-White high achievers not known to general American public.

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 19:23
     "The boy band Menudo,Ricky Martin,Jennifer Lopez,&Mark Anthony are from Puerto Rico"

Pebbles, I assume you're nominating them as having achieved the American dream. Well, they are merely the latest. Ever heard of Pedro Del Valle? US Naval academy graduate in 1915, commanded the 1st Marine Division in the latter phase of the battle for Okinawa, retired in 1948 as a three star general (then the highest rank in the Marine Corps), and went to work for ITT, heading up their operations in Latin America. How about Rafael Hernandez? "El Jibarito". Recruited into an African-American band during the First World War, stayed in New York with his brother to make major contributions to both Latin music and Jazz, referred by his doctor (a Caborrojeno) to an uncle making films in Mexico, he moved to Mexico and became one of the leading musical score writers for Mexican films in their heyday. How about Silvia Rexach, possibly our greatest actress?

But, more importantly, a word on the American dream. Any genius can leave, let's say Haiti, and if he or she really is a genius, the will succeed in places like Brazil, Venezuela, and Mexico (as Rafael Hernandez did). The real American dream is to find a good job, that pays a decent wage, that allows you to own a decent home, in a nice neighborhood, with enough money left over to pay any medical bills, take a vacation once a year, and retire at the end of your life to some modicum of comfort without having to worry where you next meal is coming from. This is what a great many Americans achieved after the Great Depression ended, and this is why all those feet keep beating for the U.S. border. The ideal is: you don't have to be a genius, just of average intelligence, but able to work with your mind and or hands at a job that need to be done, receiving an adequate wage (as noted above) for your efforts. By those standards, and that is the real American dream, many Puertorricans have succeeded. Unfortunately, we still have as many more who have a long way to go.

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 19:08
Puerto Rico is a Caribbean Latin country whose culture is very similar to the Dominican Republic and Cuba's. One of the "proceres" in fact suggested an Antillean union composed of the three. Those at the top of Island culture are often descended from recent Spanish or Canary Island immigrants. These usually have a work ethic that makes North Americans look lazy. That same work ethic does not extend throughout the culture. But rather than adopting that work ethic, the general trend is to belittle those on the top as "ricos", pretending that they were always that way, or ridiculing them as "whiteys", implying that their lighter, more Spanish features put them on top. One of the more popular English words used in Puertorrican Spanish "party". Res ipsa loquitur, as the "Spaniard" in "Gladiator" would have said. Simply put, it is different from Spain because five hundred of years of history have made it Puerto Rico, for better or worse. To see one Party's view of why that is so, you might try the Partido Independentista Puerotrriqueno (PIP) website. To see the other's, look for a Partido Nuevo Progresista (PNP) website.

Puerto Rico is developed on the surface. It's real problems aren't its infrastructure, but it's political and social cultures. If you want an idea, google some of Luis Davila-Colon's articles on politics.

The entire Puertorrican economy will sink like the Titanic if Puerto RIco ever goes independent. Denying that fact is a major pseudointellectual passtime among the island's pro-independence intellectual elites. In reality, the Marxists within the Independentista community could make independence work. But what they don't tell people is that to do so, most of the island's present inhabitants would have to see asylum in the States, so the homes and lands they abandoned could be redistributed among those willing to stay, or unable to leave. And of cour, the REgime would be authoritarian enough to force people to get to work to build a completely self-sufficient country. The Korean word for such self-sufficiency is "Juche", and I have no doubt that they could be at least as successful as... North Korea.

I have not been to NYC sine the late 70s, and cannot comment on their poverty. Some of the islands poor neighborhoods are rough places indeed. At one time, the National Guard was on full time mobilization to keep crime at a minimum in those areas.

I'm reluctant to say that Puertorricans in the U.S. have "mostly failed" to achieve the American dream. Many of them have. More on that in my reply to the post below.

pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 17:06
The boy band Menudo,Ricky Martin,Jennifer Lopez,&Mark Anthony are from Puerto Rico

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 16:35
Very interesting info....

So basically, despite being part of the U.S.; politically, económically, and socially speaking, P.R. is more similar to a 3rd world Latin American country?
This is rather opposite to the impression I had about the island; as I always imagined it to be a developed Latin country like Spain and Portugal, only very Americanized in terms of culture. As a fact, many Puerto Ricans have recent ancestry from Spain, especially the Canary Islands.

What led to such a different mentality between P.R. and Spain?

If the U.S. had been pumping so much cash into the island, would they be considerably poorer if they were independent?
How does a poor P.R. neighbourhood in New York, like the South Bronx and East Harlem, compare to an equivalent barrio in San Juan?

On the whole, would you say that despite P.R. immigrants in the mainland U.S. had mostly failed to achieve the "American dream" like many other nationalities had; they're still considerably better off than if they had remained in P.R.?
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 15:00
Calvo:

1) All goods coming into Puerto Rico must be brought in by American flagged ships. Second, since agriculture is low, and population high, the great majority of foodstuffs must be imported from the mainland. So, like Hawaii, Puerto Rico has a very high cost of living.

2) You don't have to travel far in Puerto Rico to find extreme poverty. There is a large Puerto Rican middle class, but those on the bottom tend to live in public housing, or "parcelas" out on the island. Puerto Rico has the largerst public housing projects in the U.S., and is the recipient of $22 billion a year (2002 figure) in welfare and matching federal funds. The Puerto Rican government's main purpose is to extract as much in "matching funds" from the U.S. as it can, so as to redistribute it among the contractors who support the Party in power. Like many similar governments, they're really great at building, but really poor at maintaining anything. It the entire period since 1952, Puerto Rico's standard of living has never been able to reach that of Mississippi, the poorest State in the union. I should caution that by noting that tax, disability, and welfare fraud are rampant, so many are better off than they seem.

3)  Drugs are as much a scourge in Puerto Rico, many would say "more", than they are on the mainland. Homicide rates are as high as the highest rate major U.S. mainland cities, and drug trafficking is a major contributer to the GDP. The Police are largely incompetent, and fear enforces a code of silence about crime that prevents many witnesses from coming forward. Since Puerto Rico is legally U.S., drug shipments arriving from Colombia and other venues get smuggled into the U.S. with greater ease. The sheer volume of maritime traffic between PR and the US inhibits effective anti-drug enforcement.

calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2009 at 10:02
I'm surprised to learn that living costs in Puerto Rico are higher than on the mainland.

I've never been to P.R. but I impression of it isn't necessarily poor, but just another part of the USA; and I've heard it time and again that it's the Latin American "country" with the highest GDP per capita.

Many P.R. communities in New York were hard hit by the heroin epidemic in the 60s, and the crack epidemic in the 80s. Did barrios in San Juan and other P.R. cities suffer a similar fate?
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2009 at 18:29
Since the U.S. is a federal system, both the federal and state governments contribute to their welfare programs. The Puertorricans who went up to New York in the 40s and 50s were looking for jobs. Those who were single mothers were able to receive some assistance from welfare, however welfare really took off under Lyndon Johnson's administration in the late 60s. So, the amount received, and the additional programs vary from state to state, though there is a federal minimum. Puerto Ricans on the mainland tend to be better off than those on the island. Poverty there can mean an income of $400 a month, and the cost of living in PR is much higher than on the mainland. Likewise, the Puertorrican middle class, which views itself as the richest in Latin America, in fact lives at a lower socio-economic level than the middle class in some other Latin countries. Panama is an example. The majority of Puertorricans who emigrated from the island in the post "Great Society" era were looking for higher welfare payments, and hoping for a better life for their children. A large number of those were single mothers who had very few other options. Emigration off the island has always been conditioned by socio-economic class. Those from the better off families leave for better opportunities, i.e., positions as scientists at NASA, and the like. Many from the bottom who want to get ahead in life choose military careers, or find jobs in civil service, then transfer off the island. They key to success off the island has always been dependent upon the "ausente's" mastery of English. This has always been a political hot potato in Puerto Rico, and outside of the San Juan metropolitan area the level of English instruction is abysmally low. Frankly, the level of Spanish instruction is not much better. A study by two Army officers in the 1980s noted that Puertorricans who became Army Officers had a better rate of success if they had attended either High School or University in the U.S.. This was followed by those Puertorricans who had grown up within the military as sons (or daughters) of Puertorrican service members. Those with the lowest rate of selection for promotion or higher schooling were the Reserve Officer training program graduates of the various island universities, the single exception being those graduating with Engineering degrees from Mayaguez, the great majority of whom retired at least at Colonels, and had attended their service's War College. So, success in the military was intimately related to the ausente's command of English. One must presume that a study of other career fields would have produced similar results.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2009 at 14:25
Originally posted by lirelou

As to what kept Puertorrican back so long, the failure to commit themselves to integration was no small part of that. Unlike Domincians, Colombians, Cubans, and other Hispanic groups, the Puertorricans did not "immigrate". Rather they "moved" to the U.S.. Thus many never made that mental committment to succeed. Contrary to most "continental" Americans belief, you don't just get welfare by immigrating here. Originally, you had to be an American citizen. Puertorricans were, since 1917.

So is it that many Puerto-Ricans moved to New York to receive wellfare?
If that was the case wouldn't it be better that they received wellfare back home in Puerto Rico, as PR is part of U.S. territory?

Are Island Puerto Ricans far better off in general than mainland PRs, or do they also experience the same problems?
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2009 at 20:28
I didn't even know West Side Story was based on a book. Thanks.

That's also an interesting thought about Puerto Ricans being citizens rather than aliens.

Edited by gcle2003 - 25-Apr-2009 at 20:28
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2009 at 20:13
First, as regards "West Side Story", the book it was based on was not about Puertorricans. The book took the theme of Romeo and Juliet, and concerned the problems and conflicts between immigrant Jews and Gentiles. The play substituted Puertorricans because, at they time, they were immigrating into New York in large numbers.

Second, a great many Puertorricans did succeed in their new country. But most of those who did so accomplished what they did by learning English and getting out of the Puertorrican ghettos. My ex-Suegra used to move her family every time more Puertorricans moved into their neighborhood. But in her case, her low education level held her back. (At 14, she had been forced to marry a 48 year old man her father owed money to.)

I presently live in South Florida, and you can find a great many successful "Neoyoricans" here, selling mortgages, insurance, real estate, stocks and bonds, and as owners of no small numbers of businesses. English is their first language, but many advertise their roots by placing the NY Yankee "NY" symbol in Puertorrican colors in their rear car windows.

As to what kept Puertorrican back so long, the failure to commit themselves to integration was no small part of that. Unlike Domincians, Colombians, Cubans, and other Hispanic groups, the Puertorricans did not "immigrate". Rather they "moved" to the U.S.. Thus many never made that mental committment to succeed. Contrary to most "continental" Americans belief, you don't just get welfare by immigrating here. Originally, you had to be an American citizen. Puertorricans were, since 1917. Likewise, the "vendepatria" mentality of the pseudo-nationalists, which heaped scorn on those who did well and were succeeding, convinced many Puertorrican youth in the U.S. that becoming "American" was selling out Borinquen.
calvo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote calvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2009 at 19:37
Originally posted by gcle2003

It can't be just because of West Side Story, can it? Smile

On a more serious note, did the later Hispanic immigrants come to New York, or did they come in elewhere? Is the answer something to do with New York rather than with the US generally? 

Between the 1960s and the 1990s, the vast majority of Hispanic immigrants were Mexicans, who settled in California and Texas.
After Castro's revolution and once again the 1980s, many Cubans also emigrated, but mainly in Miami.
Up until the 1990s, the largest Hispanic group in New York City were the Puerto Ricans.

Since then, a wave of Dominicans arrived and settled in neighbourhoods such as Washington Heights and the Bronx. Today, the Dominicans have overtaken the Puerto Ricans as the largest Hispanic nationality in NYC.
And as it seems, they also seem to be integrating considerably faster....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2009 at 19:23
Well, the West Side Story is a fantasy that captured a real situation of the time: discrimination against Puerto Ricans, that was for real.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>