Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To the Orthodox: Happy Pascha!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To the Orthodox: Happy Pascha!
    Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 08:57
Christ is risen!

I couldn't find the old thread, so I started a new one. I have posted the Paschal Proclamation of His All Holiness, which speaks with clarity to the postmodern world, as well as the Encyclical of Archbishop Demetrios. Feel free to post the encyclicals and sermons of your respective hierarchs, and may you all have a most blessed Pascha. Smile

Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death and bestowing life upon those in the tombs!

Originally posted by His All Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople

+ B A R T H O L O M E W

By the Grace of God

Archbishop of Constantinople, New Rome

And Ecumenical Patriarch

To the Plenitude of the Church

Grace, Peace and Mercy

By the Savior Christ Risen in Glory

Dearly beloved brothers and children in the Lord,

Christ is Risen!

In sullenness, one day in the 19th century, humankind heard from the lips of the tragic philosopher: “God is dead! We killed him! All of us are his murderers … God will remain dead! What else are the churches but tombs and graves of God?”[1] And only a few decades later, we heard from the lips of his younger colleague: “Gentlemen, I declare to you the death of God!”[2]

These declarations of atheist philosophers shook the conscience of people. Much confusion ensued in the field of the spirit and of literature, of art and sometimes even of Theology, where, especially in the West, there was debate even about a “Theology of the death of God.”

Of course, the Church never had the slightest doubt that God had died. This occurred in 33AD, on the hill of Golgotha in Jerusalem, in the reign of Pontius Pilate, the Roman Governor of Judaea. After suffering an unspeakable passion, He was crucified as a criminal and, at about the ninth hour of the Preparation of the Passover, he said: “It is accomplished!” and surrendered His spirit. This is an unquestionable historical reality. The Only-begotten Son and Word of God, Jesus Christ, the true God, died for our sake.[3] After assuming everything that we have: body, soul, will, energy, toil, agony, pain, sorrow, joy, all things except sin, he finally assumed our greatest concern, namely death – indeed, in its most cruel and humiliating expression, namely on the Cross. To this point, we are in agreement with the philosophers. We would even accept that the churches, the temples, are “the tombs and graves of God.” Nevertheless … we recognize, experience and worship this God who has died, as “a most life-giving dead.” Only moments after that awful Preparation, in the morning watch of “the first of the Sabbath,” on the day of the Lord, what occurred was the reason for which the divine economy of the flesh, passion, cross and descent into Hades took place. The Resurrection! And this Resurrection is an equally unquestionable historical reality! This reality has immediate and salvific consequences for all of us. The Son of God, who is at the same time the Son of Man, was risen. God was resurrected together with all of humanity that He assumed: in the Body that He received from the pure blood of the Most Holy Theotokos as well as in His sacred soul. He was risen from the dead, “resurrecting the whole of Adam in His loving-kindness.” Christ’s grave, the “empty tomb” of Joseph, is forever empty. Instead of being a grave for the dead, it is a memorial of victory over death; it is a fountain of life! The spiritual Sun of Righteousness has dawned “beautiful, as from a grave,” granting the unwaning light, peace, joy, gladness, and eternal life. It is true that the temples were the “tombs” of God, but they were empty tombs, filled with light and replete with “the fragrance of life”[4] and the smell of Paschal spring, brilliant, splendid, adorned in glory and with life-giving flowers of tangible hope. The death of God overturned the powers of Hades; death itself was reduced to nothing more than a mere incident introducing humanity from death to Life. The Churches, those “tombs of God,” are the wide-open gates of divine love, the opened entrance to the Bridal chamber of God’s Son, who “came out of the tomb as from a Bridegroom,” while we faithful enter therein and “celebrate the death of death, the annihilation of Hades, the beginning of a new, eternal way of life; and, thus rejoicing, we offer hymns to the cause, namely the only blessed and glorious God of our fathers.”[5]

It is fortunate, then, that God died because His death became the source of our life and resurrection. It is fortunate that there are so many of His “tombs” throughout the world, so many sacred temples, where each of can freely enter when we are in pain, tired, and in need of consolation in order lay before God the burden of our suffering, agony, fear and insecurity – namely, in order to become rid of our death. It is fortunate that we have Churches of the crucified, dead, risen and living Christ, where before the hopelessness of our time, the betrayal of all idols, the “lowly gods” that have stolen our hearts, such as the economy, the ideology, the philosophy, the metaphysics and all those “empty deceits”[6] of our “age of deception,”[7] we can find refuge, comfort and salvation.

From the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the Mother Church, which experiences to the utmost the Passion, Pain, Cross, and Death, as well as the Resurrection of Christ, we extend to all the faithful of the Church our wholehearted Paschal greeting and blessing, together with the embrace of our Lord Jesus Christ, who was risen from the dead and lives eternally, granting life to all people. To Him be glory, might, honor and worship, with the Father and Holy Spirit, to the ages. Amen.

Holy Pascha 2009

+ BARTHOLOMEW of Constantinople
Your fervent intercessor
before the Risen Christ

[1] F. Nietzsche. [2] J.-P. Sartre. [3] 2 Cor. 5.14.[4] 2 Cor. 2.16. [5] Troparion of the 7th Ode, Canon of Pascha. [6] See Col. 2.28. [7] The Akathist Hymn.

To be read in the Churches during the Divine Liturgy of the Feast of Holy Pascha, immediately after the Holy Gospel.

Originally posted by Archbishop Demetrios of America

April 19, 2009
Holy Pascha
The Feast of Feasts

Faith is the substance of things hoped for,
Τhe evidence of things not seen.
(Hebrews 11:1)

To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the Monks and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the Greek Orthodox Communities, the Distinguished Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the Day, Afternoon, and Church Schools, the Philoptochos Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the entire Greek Orthodox Family in America

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Christ is Risen!  Χριστός Ἀνέστη!

On this great and glorious Feast of our Holy Orthodox Church, I greet you in the abundant joy of our Risen Lord and in the peace of His unchanging promise of salvation and true life.  As we gather at night anticipating the dawning of the new day, our churches, our homes, and most certainly our souls are filled with the radiance of the Resurrection and the illuminating Truth of our faith in Christ.

The Biblical record is replete with several accounts of the appearances of Christ to His disciples after His triumphant Resurrection from the dead.  The Gospel of John (20:19-29) presents us with two such appearances of the Risen Christ to His apostles in the upper room, where they frequently gathered.  In the first of these appearances, the Risen Christ showed His apostles His hands and His side, the scars of the physical agony which He endured on the Cross unto death.  His presence before them was a visible sign of His Resurrection from the dead.  At this first appearance of the Risen Christ in the upper room, however, the Apostle Thomas was not present.  Hearing of this encounter from the other apostles, Thomas had clearly stated that he would not believe that Christ had risen from the dead unless he saw Christ and touched His wounds.  Eight days later, Christ made a second appearance to His apostles in the upper room.  This time, Thomas was present, and he was able to see the prints of the nails and spear in the flesh of the body of the Risen Christ.  Thomas recognized the Risen Christ with the following, unique exclamation of his belief: My Lord and my God!  (John 20:28).  To this, Christ replied to Thomas, Have you believed because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe (John 20:29).

Thomas needed to see in order to believe, and Thomas’ struggle with his doubt and his faith is a very human one indeed.  Today, we profess our belief in the Risen Christ nearly 2,000 years after the appearances of the Risen Christ to His apostles.  We do this within a society that is removed historically by the passage of time since these Divine appearances.  For this reason, we can rejoice in our belief in the Risen Christ because we know the beatitude pronounced by Christ which tells us that we are blessed because we are among those who have not seen and yet believe (v.29). 

On this day of Pascha, we gather to celebrate this continued and real presence of Christ in our midst, Whose Resurrection from the dead is at the very core of our Christian faith.  Christ’s authentic presence is experienced by each and every one of us in many ways, such as when we gather together in His name for prayer, or when we hear His Holy Gospel.  However, His presence is made manifest in the most superb way when we partake of His very real body and blood in the most blessed sacrament of Holy Communion, through the physical elements of bread and wine.  This is why we give thanks to the Lord when we partake of the Holy Communion by acknowledging that we have “received the divine, holy, pure, immortal, life-giving and awesome Mysteries of Christ,” to quote the words of the Divine Liturgy.  Thus, paradoxically, while we did not “see” the Risen Christ in the same way in which His apostles did, we nonetheless do “see” Him and experience Him in a total and complete way, just as His apostles.  It is here where we are presented with the element of Divine Mystery that is a distinguishing characteristic of our Orthodox Christian faith.  It is in this most blessed experience of our receiving the Holy Communion that we are given the ability to see and experience that which Thomas needed to see 2,000 years ago in order for him to believe.  It is in this Divine Mystery of Holy Communion that we experience the Risen Christ, that we receive the Son of God physically into our bodies and spiritually within our lives, and that we are continuously renewed by His healing power.

My beloved Christians,

On this Holy Feast of Pascha, as we fill our churches and our hearts with the light and joy of the Resurrection, let us joyfully profess our belief in the Risen Lord, Who is in our midst.  Through faith and our partaking of His body and blood in the Divine Mystery of Holy Communion, let us receive His love and affirm the assurance of His blessings upon us.  Let us proclaim to a world in need that we are people of the Resurrection, that we are people of hope and salvation, and that we are people of faith.  And let us invite all to come into the loving embrace of the living Lord Who is Risen and to see Him, experience Him, and find everlasting joy and peace in Him, Who has vanquished the power of death so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).  Once again we joyfully proclaim: Christ is Risen!  Χριστός Ἀνέστη!  Truly He is Risen!  Ἀληθῶς Ἀνέστη!

With paternal blessings in the Risen Christ,

† DEMETRIOS
Archbishop of America

-Akolouthos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 09:40
xristos anesti!

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 09:52
Alithos Anesti!

Is that the Sepulchre, Leo?

-Akolouthos
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:12
Happy -Insert appropriate religious holiday- day!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:18
Originally posted by Parnell

Happy -Insert appropriate religious holiday- day!

That would be Pascha. I would have thought that you would have been able to deduce that from the title of the thread. I couldn't resist. Wink

Seriously though, thank you for the well-wishes, Parnell. Christ is risen! Smile

-Akolouthos
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:29
Feliz Pascua - just to add an Hispanic tint to it
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:31
Originally posted by Constantine XI

And it is appreciated, the moreso for not being mentioned much in connection with Pascha. Thanks for the linguistic lesson, Constantine. Smile

-Akolouthos
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:47
Originally posted by Akolouthos

And it is appreciated, the moreso for not being mentioned much in connection with Pascha. Thanks for the linguistic lesson, Constantine. Smile

-Akolouthos

While I am certain most of us here are aware that most in the Hispanic world are Roman Catholic, we should not neglect that a great many Eastern Christian migrants from the Middle East are a part of the Orthodox fold, and so their blessings as expressed in Spanish do occur this time of year amongst those people.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:49
Happy Easter!
Yes, I think that's the Holy Sepulchre Ako.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:51

-Akolouthos

While I am certain most of us here are aware that most in the Hispanic world are Roman Catholic, we should not neglect that a great many Eastern Christian migrants from the Middle East are a part of the Orthodox fold, and so their blessings as expressed in Spanish do occur this time of year amongst those people.

A wonderful clarification, and thank you for making it. Smile

-Akolouthos
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 11:56
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Happy Easter!

Why thank you, Omar.

Och. And since you have wished me a blessed Pascha, you can now chide me if I miss Ramadan; I'd better start watching the calendars closely, eh? Wink

-Akolouthos

Addendum: For the purposes of the record, Omar really does deserve the right to chide me most harshly if I fail to wish him a blessed Ramadan. I expect you to hold me to this, my dear Omar. It will help my ability to observe various calendars. Smile

-Akolouthos
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 12:08

Is this a calendar thing? As an extremely nominal Catholic we celebrated Easter a couple of weeks ago.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 13:02
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Happy Easter!

yes it is i got the picture from here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8006632.stm

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 14:07

-Akolouthos

A wonderful clarification, and thank you for making it. Smile

-Akolouthos

Though I am not religious, through all my studies of the Byzantine Empire I do have something of a soft spot for the Orthodox flock. May this occaision bring all of you much joy and celebration Thumbs Up

Edited by Constantine XI - 19-Apr-2009 at 14:12
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 14:11
Hristos Voskrese!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 14:13
Happy Easter to all our Orthodox members
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 14:17

The Easter Address by Russia's Patriarch Kirill to orthodox believers.

Dear and beloved in the Lord God; holy archpriests, elders, deacons, monks and all the faithful children of the Church.

Christ is risen! Once again, we greet each other with this exclamation of joy. The triumph of Easter fills our hearts, for Christ’s resurrection is the foundation of Life which has defeated Death, Vice and Decay.

It is our duty to experience Easter as a celebration of Life, and not only today, but also on every Sunday, for it shows to us the greatness of our Lord and Savior who has liberated us from Death and torn down the shackles of Sin separating man from God.

What is more, every minute in the life of a true Christian has to be filled with the joy of Easter. “I am the Resurrection and the Life,” said Jesus, “he who believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.” Christ’s resurrection has granted us true freedom, and has filled the existence of man with sense and hope.

Most importantly, it has opened the way to salvation to everyone who believes in Christ and abides in the Church. This means there is no reason for despair, dismay or fear for those who love the Lord and follow him at all times during their earthly journey, for “Christ is risen from the dead, and become the First Fruits of them that slept.”

The celebration of Easter embraces the whole world and all God’s creation, making it alive with His blessings. “Christ is risen and life is liberated!” says St. John Chrysostom in his Easter Sermon.

God’s gift of life, trampled and defiled by the fall of the old Adam, is revealed to us again in its fullness by the new Adam – Christ. Having been partakers in the fullness of this revelation of God’s mercy, my beloved, let us cherish and keep this gift. Where blood is shed and people suffer, where God’s image is trampled for the sake of personal gain, quarrel and selfishness, let us stand strong to protect it, fulfilling our Christian calling.

May our knowledge of Christ’s truth become a strong foundation for the testimony about the risen Christ to those who are near and far, so that they would find eternal life. May our mighty Lord give us all the strength to know Him, love one another, and do the deeds of mercy. Let us strive to make sure that not only the life of each one of us, but also the life of the whole of society is built on God’s commandments. For only by following them will people find fullness and harmony in their being.

By this we will show our love towards God, for He Himself said, “If you love me, you will obey what I command.” In these difficult times let us show our Christian calling through our works. Let us support each other, so that no one feels humiliated, neglected, poor and alone.

I wish to all of you to look heavenward in all your thoughts, deeds and intentions, remembering what the Apostle said: “Since you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.”

I am filled with joy about Christ, who conquered death and tore the bondage of Hades, and I would especially like to speak to the young people, who have much work, aspirations, and accomplishments ahead of them. You will have to put effort into building the future of our nation and our Church.

May the strength, talents and capacities that God gave you be used for the good of your neighbors in fulfillment of your calling, so that God’s Holy Will may be done.

My dearest, on this holy day I embrace and greet each one of you, sharing my joy with all who trust unto Christ’s holy name and everyone who is ready to heed in his heart the joy of the Easter greeting.

Christ is risen!

He is risen indeed!

Amen.

Edited by Anton - 19-Apr-2009 at 14:18
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 16:32
Originally posted by Anton

Hristos Voskrese!

Voistinu voskrese! Smile

-Akolouthos
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2009 at 21:01
Aleithos anesti! Big smile

Although I am not Orthodox, I did go the the late night Paschal service last night.  It was very nice.

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2009 at 00:10

Hayırlı Paskalyalar :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>