Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were the Sea peoples?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were the Sea peoples?
    Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 04:04
Who do you guys think the Sea peoples were, I have always found them very fascinating, especially the fact there is very little knowledge on them although the latter is already known what are your opinions?
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 09:40
I think they were a confederation of Indo-European tribes (mostly Greek).
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2009 at 23:53
It was probably people from the Aegian islands, cyclades specifically. They were not exactly Greeks, but you could say they were ancestors of some Greeks. I don't remember exactly where but some Jewish texts mentions them as being people that came from the north side of the sea. Some others connect them with the rule of the Hyksos in Egypt. Others connect them to the Minoans, because of localy made minyan artifacts found in the region of palestine.

It's kinda fuzzy right now. I have some issue of science illustrated that had an amazing article about them. Gotta find it in order to be more specific.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 00:06
and btw...If they truly came from the aegean, Ardashirs use of a "confederation of Indo-European tribes" could be correct. The aegian islands could have been inhabited by several cultures that were eather related to various anatolian populations or  people that were speaking some kind of language isolates. They didn't need to be 1 single group but more, that were trying to escape from a dissaster like the one that occured with the Thera erruption.

Edited by Flipper - 07-Apr-2009 at 00:07

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2009 at 00:13
It kinda occured to me their origin is unknown. Calling them greek seems far streched.
They are suposed to be Sicilians, Sardenians, or better people that eventually (after their inasion on Egypt and the Levante) settled on Sardinia and Sicily.
Their Greek origin is based mostly on the fact that after the destruction of the phoenician Alasya (Cyprus), the local culture was replaced with a mycenean one, while at the same time the most populated centres of Mycenean world (Mycenae and Pylos) were abandoned. Also, the Bible names the origin of the Filistines to be Kafthor. Kafthor was originally (2000 years ago) identified with Kapadokia, but today it is identified with Crete (which at the time of the Sea peoples' invasion was Mycenean). This seems to agree to some extent with archaeological finds in Palestine, which show that at the time the area identified to the Filistines seems to have been Mycenean. Moreover, Egyptian sources say that after being repelled on Egypts' border, the Peleshet (Filistines?) settled in what's today Palestine. Moreover, ancient greek texts translated Goliath's name as Alyattes (Goliath was a Filistine), showing that they saw his name as a greek one (or inodeuropean one, rather a semitic one).

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
lawagetas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote lawagetas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2009 at 14:48
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 22:43
That link is the best analysis i've read so far! Thanks Lawageta!

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2009 at 23:21
And welcome to the forum, lawagetas. Smile

-Akolouthos
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2009 at 18:01
ty for the link, pretty interesting especially the boat w/out oars.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2009 at 11:33
I was checking Hittite equivalents of those names mentioned and it really makes sense. So, if we could summarized it, those people were people of different backgrounds from the Aegean basin.

While checking Greek sources, i saw that various people from Greece and Caria did go to Egypt. It seems that Carians came with some revolutionary weapons for that time. Maybe the instability of the aegian area after the fall of the aegian civilizations caused people to migrate and search for a new way of living like for example becoming mercenaries.  

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2009 at 22:31
Originally posted by xristar

It kinda occured to me their origin is unknown. Calling them greek seems far streched. They are suposed to be Sicilians, Sardenians, or better people that eventually (after their inasion on Egypt and the Levante) settled on Sardinia and Sicily. Their Greek origin is based mostly on the fact that after the destruction of the phoenician Alasya (Cyprus), the local culture was replaced with a mycenean one, while at the same time the most populated centres of Mycenean world (Mycenae and Pylos) were abandoned. Also, the Bible names the origin of the Filistines to be Kafthor. Kafthor was originally (2000 years ago) identified with Kapadokia, but today it is identified with Crete (which at the time of the Sea peoples' invasion was Mycenean). This seems to agree to some extent with archaeological finds in Palestine, which show that at the time the area identified to the Filistines seems to have been Mycenean. Moreover, Egyptian sources say that after being repelled on Egypts' border, the Peleshet (Filistines?) settled in what's today Palestine. Moreover, ancient greek texts translated Goliath's name as Alyattes (Goliath was a Filistine), showing that they saw his name as a greek one (or inodeuropean one, rather a semitic one).

This is a good topic but I agree we know so little about them. I have read theories that they were Minoans escaping the destructive power of Thera and also they came from Anatolia. It seems it is all speculative but I wonder if there is any archaeological evidence that supports a particular theory more than others??? Looking at Egyptian relief sculptures of them they look like Europeans or Caucasians.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 11:33
Originally posted by eaglecap

This is a good topic but I agree we know so little about them. I have read theories that they were Minoans escaping the destructive power of Thera and also they came from Anatolia. It seems it is all speculative but I wonder if there is any archaeological evidence that supports a particular theory more than others??? Looking at Egyptian relief sculptures of them they look like Europeans or Caucasians.

AFAIK in Palestine there is material evidence that Aegean populations landed. 2 years ago, i found material on it but i will have to search again.

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2009 at 15:06
Hello! I am a first time poster on this list and I hope to be able to keep up with you guys and gals?
The topic here is "Who were the Sea People(s)" or as they are sometimes called "The People of the Sea", or even more often "The People of the Isles!"
If I would give but one answer, I would suggest that Velikovsky is closer to the truth than our consensual history! He connected the "Peoples of the Isles, etc." to the Persians, mostly due to the fact that consensual history does show a period of history (broken into two eras) where Persian rule of Egypt existed, that an the headgear / helments that are to be seen on both some of the saliors / marines seen in the incised murals found at Medinet Habu in Egypt! There are two events to be investigated at Medinet Habu, that are seperated by a few years, and Velikovsky made a good point in identifying the two events and especially the so called "Greek" presence as mercenaries! That is, some times they (the mercenaries) fight for the Persians, and sometimes for the Egyptians! If you are not familar with the Velikovsky proposal, I would suggest that you become familar with it! It will help you to understand certain "political" events that were important during this period of the past.
But, as much as I appreciated the zeal that allowed Velikovsky to remove hundreds of years from Egypt's past, I believe he did not go far enough!

Before I continue with my proposal(s) I would merely like your response to this introductory post? Sorry for my typing and spelling mistakes, I am usually pressed for time to do these things!

I will give you an hint of my follow up post(s)! I would like you to know that the word "Persian" is very close to "Parisian", and "Isles" can be spelled in differing languages or in abbreviations to indicate something that is basically a bith different than our current view of an Island!

Regards,

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Blue Hue View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Blue Hue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 12:53

Dear,
To become ' familiar' with dr Velikovsky's discoveries one has to read his book on the " Peoples of the Sea ".
The essence is that he allready proposed that Ramesses-3 lived/reigned inbetween 340-380 bc and not in 1200 bc.
Thus theresimply were NO ' Sea-people ' around 1200 bc !

The story goes that the Persian king Artaxerxes-2 wanted to invade Egypt after it's repeated wars of independance from Persia.

The invasion Leader was a Satrap called Pharnabazos and his advisor as a Greek merchant general named: Iphicrates. This persian invasion failed becauseof the annual Floodseason surge that was not taken into account.

The presance of( anciently written !) Greek mercants soldiers was the result of the( Coverted-)Persian confederacy in which the Greek participant States were obliged to provide millitary assistance with Persian war effort.

Another book on REVISED  Chronology is" AGES in Chaos "( consepted in 1949 for which dr. v has been demonised as a heretic of ancient history
Here he explaines that the ' Queen of Sheba ' is really Queen Hatsepsowet !
Was ex-Pres.Bush another Heraklios( defeated Iraq in 628 ad.) ?
When will we learn from History ? Stop Cop-TVshows'!Rather watch Mystery-Shows !
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2009 at 13:04
Blue-hue,

Dittos!
It seems however that Herr Doctor Velikovsky did not acknowledge any credit to Sir Isaac! He was certainly in line with the esteemed knight in many regards.
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Blue Hue View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Blue Hue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 07:55
From Blue-Hue,

This is my first Posting,
Whatever one says about dr. Velikovsky right or wrong, he stays my Hero .
When will we learn from History ? Stop Cop-TVshows'!Rather watch Mystery-Shows !
Blue Hue View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Blue Hue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2009 at 08:56
Grigory were the " Immortal Guards on the walls of Sion."

Do you realise that the good Doctor has been villified and taboed ?( in 1950.)
Yet he has learned Followers/Adherents who corroberated his findings

DID  PLATO  FALSIFY ancient HISTORY >?

Atlantis featured as a " Sunken Oceanic Island realm " is a Fable based only on a translation Error.

3 Atlantis Websites based their entire  dogmatic Observation on English translations taken  from the LATIN version of "Plato's ATLANTIS  DIALOGUE "

Therefore they stayed ignorant about the mistranslations from the "original Greek" text into Latin.
The average Atlantologist even denies the existance of Greek/ Latin mistranslations as an Invented" Proof" but not a valid "Evidence"  (mainly because they don't read Ancient Greek.)
Since they shun the clear evidence it's no use presenting it at this ill-uppertune moment !

Moreover none of these Website-Atlantologists had an insight in Plato's ancient Greek Geography!
( Not even the " society of the Ancient - Mapping Project ")

Yet it is an open Secret, that back in 250 bc,  the Bibliographer Eratosthenes knowingly 'falsified' the (present-)Map of ancient Europe!( Explanation not wanted by various ancient-history Soc.!)

The meaning of this coverted Map-falsification is that in effect ancient European( thus Greek !) History from before 855 bc mainly happened in S.Arabia( which was once central-Atlantis-Territory)

It also entails that the 'Greek' Hero heracles was an Egyptian general and ropamed not France & Italy but South Arabia instead,

Equally the Amazone-Queen MYRINA who reputedly conquerred Turkey(in 1.000 bc.)was not active in Asia MINOR(= Turkey) but in Asia-Major(= South-Araby in latin:" Arabia-Felix.")

The real Atlanteans were according to Herodotus Arabia-Map: the Sabaeans from the Saba-Realm( with Capital ADEN & later-on Macrobia/now Mecca.)

Atlantis was always an Egyptian Bufferstate against Assyrian Agression in South- Araby.

Again: Atlantis as an Oceanic-Isle around America or Spain, is a New- Age Fiction a false tradition !

Atlantis is Ad-Land (= Aden or Ad Hiram of the 1.000"Pillars" not just the TWO of Heracles !)
in the Koran and in in Norse Mythology: Ad-Land  is"  Midland " hence the false connection with the Midland or Mediaterra-Nean-Sea !  The "Med." for short !)

99% of Atlantologists denied the existance of Greek/ Latin Translation mistakes despite my telling them !
Most even prefer the Latin version over the greek original telling that the greek original was Lost and only survived in Bysantine-Greek( thus re-translated from a latin copy anyway ! )

All Atlantis Sites were claimed by foreign Authers the only Country that sees itself as the original Atlantis is Yemen-Rep. They were never disturbed or perturbed by False maps or mistranslations and always regarded the MARIB-Dam as the main part of the Hesperian Gardens(= As-Gard and ADEN as the World-Axis(=Cartographically-)called IRMINSUL.

Atlantis is synonym with the ( Jewish/Hebrew)Paradise as " Land-of-the-Middle" or Middle-Earth !
Where Poseidon ruled Ad-Land from his Palace-Temple with the World-tree(= a Figtree.)

CONCLUSION: Why do we not know this "Public -open Secret "?
Because forgotten even by professional hystorians: back in 855 bc the Awssyrian Emp.Salmanasser-3 demonised Atlantis because it dared to resist " peacefull" Assyrian Occupation.

To deamonize a Country means punishment of DEATH if spoken about ! Surly Salmanasser-3 (The -jeallous-GOD of Paradise( Genesis Chaopt 3.Verses 3-4.)or was it 14 ? is dead but his taboe/demonisation decree still lingers on.

This Story provocked negative reactions from all Publishers of new-Age Books( e.g.Heliotopos in Greece wgho promotes the 3rd World Atlantis Conference in 2010 on Santorini/Thera isle.
Thereby willingly promoting a False and Bliss Atlantis Tradition as Spellbreaker &Whisstleblower

The author of this Posting has been banned for having a deviant opinion about the real Atlantis
I recently lost my University Library card for THIS Season to replace it cost too much money, So i will not be posting much untill next January !

Meanwhile I need to appologize for making the "inconveniant" discovery of Plato's falsification called the" Atlantis-Dialogue".

Sincerely Blue-Hue at Tech Univ. Delft Holland/Netherlands dd 10 Oct 2009

archaiokapilos View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote archaiokapilos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2011 at 09:03
well I think that they were Greeks ( Ekwesh, Danuna ) Aegeans ( Tjekker/Peleshet ) and Anatolians    ( Sherden, Lukka ) who plundered the Mediterranean Sea after the destruction of Mycenean and Hittite Empires. They eventually got mixed with the natives in the places that they invated and formed a basic element in the creation of new nations ( like the Phoenicians and Israelites who were a mixture of Sea Peoples and Semites )
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 16:05
I heard before that the Sea People might have come from Cilicia since that region known by the Greeks for Piracy, it seems befitting of them. 
Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 16:17
Egyptians and Phoenicians mostly shared,Mediterranean sea,coastal area and isles. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>