Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Computer Anti-virus Software

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Computer Anti-virus Software
    Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 07:41
G'day ladies and gents,

Just a quick enquiry into what you consider to be the best brands of anti-virus software. Which company and brands provide the best service and the most protection? I am currently looking into buying some for myself and would greatly value any qualified opinions, many thanks.

CXI
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 10:50
Hello CXI

Well to sum up the discussion, all the major protection software manufacturers are crooks. You buy the basic suit which has virtually no teeth with 100$ US and te licence is for one year and doesn't include all the definitions for all kind of malicious software.

I suggest either Nod32 or Kaspersky (curently using the former). From personal experience the former is better since the family computer which used the latter was inected while mine was not despite we shared the same switch.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 14:38
I like Kaspersky myself. Very powerful and very clean compared to Norton that has a tendency to slow things down a bit. I never tried Nod32 - might have to give it a try. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 15:13
AVG?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 15:27
I think Kaspersky is the most secure. BitDefender is good too (is ranked the first by some), especially because has an intuitive set of interfaces and don't causes problems like most antivirus packages. I have seen BitDefender working and it has no comparison under these aspects.

You can find a ranking of the best antiviruses here.

Anyway, I think people are too scared of viruses. Most of them install an antivirus because they were told to do so, not because they suffered an attack.

I never suffered an attack on my pc and at least in last months I didn't use an antivirus except the one integrated in Windows.

Edited by Menumorut - 10-Mar-2009 at 16:08

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 23:59
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Well to sum up the discussion, all the major protection software manufacturers are crooks.

Hello, Al Jassas,

This is something I have always suspected. It seems to me highly probable that a team of computer nerds would deliberately create multiple viruses and release them onto the web, before releasing the 'antidote' in the form of their own crafted anti-virus software. It's just like paying the Mafia protection money.

I think I will go with NOD 32. From the looks of it, the program takes up little space, runs on very little RAM, and does a very effective job.

As for suffering an attack, well I think most of us do. It's just we do not notice it. These viruses go on our computer undetected and slow it down, which is annoying. I want me data to be secure from being destroyed, but I also want my computer to ran smoothly and quickly because there are no viruses slowing it down.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 04:02
Kaspersky and McAfee. I have had both and they worked smoothly.
Anfører
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 20:37
As far as my choice is concerned I would like to go with Kaspersky, as it's the simplest but yet most powerful AV around.
And as said before, the heavy wieghts like Norton, McAfee and Panda are just a software which open the doors to all kind of mallicious programs and after a while come up with a solution for it and asks for money for their service.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2009 at 20:59
I don't have much experience. I have been using Kaspersky last year (and purchased a new licence for another year), and I'm very satisfied. 

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2009 at 18:57
Kaspersky if you want to spend money on the software. It's far and away the best.
There are free options available, and I prefer Avast.
AVG is also good.
whalebreath View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote whalebreath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 01:50
I use the free AVG version never had any problems ever.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2009 at 10:34
I used Cheyenne Antivirus from CA for many years in combination with a firewall and more anti-spyware/anti-spam products. I had the antivirus for free through my work.

Now, I use the CA Security Suite Plus which is a combo pack from the same company, and it takes care of everything re. security:
- Anti-Virus
- Anti-Spyware
- Anti-Spam
- Anti-Phishing
- Personal Firewall
- Parental Controls 
- Backup and Migration.
I noticed Tiger-Direct has a 5 user license that is free for a year if you use the mail-in-rebate they offer. After that, you pay 80$ for all 5 users per year.
It can be any 5 users - it does not have to be in the same household (as printed on the package.)
I can only recommend this product.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 07:37
I got NOD32 a week ago and like it. Effective and does the job - even smaller than Kaspersky, which is already a small program.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2009 at 08:37
Actually, McAffe, Norton, Zone Alarm, AVG, Kapersky, Computer Associates, etc, are all really good anti-virus and firewall softwares.  I have used McAffe, Norton, Zone Alarm, and CA myself and can vouch for them.  Some free softwares are also really good at keeping your computer safe:   Hijack this! Spybot Search and Destroy, Malware Bytes are all really good at keeping your PC safe from malware and spyware.

The biggest problem is people's browsing habits.  Don't go to shady websites.  Don't do Peer to Peer file-sharing.  Virtually any website selling or distributing illegal materials are usually prone for worms and viruses in ad-banners and built in the website itself.  Don't open suspicious e-mails that might carry worms.  There are even worm viruses out there that can install w/o your permission.  So the best defense against viruses and malware is to not give any website or peer to peer service an opportunity to even try to send you a virus by not visiting them.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2009 at 10:40
The responses here have been great. I have more questions.

Firstly, what are the best freeware antivirus software? Secondly, how do these compare with the ones you need to pay for?
WolfHound85 View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote WolfHound85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2009 at 22:06
AVG and avast.
College Student
SilverTungsten View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SilverTungsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Sep-2010 at 16:14
AVG Free and Avast for sure
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2011 at 03:53
If i compare usage of PC's resources will say Kaspersky!Fast PC and good protection!
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2011 at 14:20
I'm a big fan of e-Set myself.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 09:09
Comcast offers Norton as part of their service.  It was Macafee, but they switched to Norton.  Between the 2 Nortons the best.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>